Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 06:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is important. These people are all banking on Trump bringing back jobs that were outsourced overseas. If he can do that, it would be great. However, no longer paying slave wages for clothing and other items means that they will cost more. Many of the people who want jobs back in their neck of the woods are the ones dashing off to Walmart every weekend and filling their carts with goods made in China and Indonesia. Are people ready to pay more for American-made things and maybe not have so much stuff?
Those are your typical Trump supporters. They will continue to shop at Walmart and Ikea for the foreign made stuff.
It's only those who always buy American made supporting those "new" American workers.
We bought quality American made furniture this past year and didn't have enough left over for a 72" TV or a smart phone or a laptop computer or a case of ammo.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
This is important. These people are all banking on Trump bringing back jobs that were outsourced overseas. If he can do that, it would be great. However, no longer paying slave wages for clothing and other items means that they will cost more. Many of the people who want jobs back in their neck of the woods are the ones dashing off to Walmart every weekend and filling their carts with goods made in China and Indonesia. Are people ready to pay more for American-made things and maybe not have so much stuff?
Yes. I haven't shopped in a Walmart in so long I can't even recall the last time doing so. At least more than a decade if not more. I tend to shop small business whenever possible even if I have to pay more. For me, it matters. So no, I have zero issues with supporting gaining back American jobs and buying American goods. The only thing I can't escape on that is cars. American made cars just can't seem to match the quality I've found in foreign. If it could do so, I would have no issue buying them but I want a reliable car - and unfortunately, American made ones aren't doing it for me.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes. I haven't shopped in a Walmart in so long I can't even recall the last time doing so. At least more than a decade if not more. I tend to shop small business whenever possible even if I have to pay more. For me, it matters. So no, I have zero issues with supporting gaining back American jobs and buying American goods. The only thing I can't escape on that is cars. American made cars just can't seem to match the quality I've found in foreign. If it could do so, I would have no issue buying them but I want a reliable car - and unfortunately, American made ones aren't doing it for me.
Same here. I can count on one hand the number of times I shopped in a Walmart, simply because I haven't lived in close proximity to one. I'm not a big shopper anyway, and since I am so tall it's easier for me to find clothing online, order it, and have it sent to me.

When I moved into my condo from a rental house in 2009 after my daughter graduated from high school, I got rid of so much crap. I couldn't believe how much we had accumulated, and I had lost everything in a house fire in 1997! I vowed not to ever let that happen again. I just went through in December and piled up clothing and dishes and curtains and other household items and donated them to an organization that runs a thrift store to support veterans. Very cleansing, it feels good to clean stuff out.

So, I am all about less stuff, but better quality. But, yeah, I drive a Toyota Corolla myself. I needed something reliable for a long commute that was good on gas.

Shopping locally is a good habit.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Those are your typical Trump supporters. They will continue to shop at Walmart and Ikea for the foreign made stuff.
It's only those who always buy American made supporting those "new" American workers.
We bought quality American made furniture this past year and didn't have enough left over for a 72" TV or a smart phone or a laptop computer or a case of ammo.
Haha. I have a 32-inch TV that's 7 years old. I won't say I NEVER watch TV, but there are entire weeks when I never turn it on. I like the true crime stuff and sometimes I will binge-watch something like Bing Bang Theory reruns or Law and Order SVU.

I won't buy another TV until this one goes. It's just not high on my list of priorities.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Reagan didn't mention AIDS until his 2nd term was nearly over, on May 31, 1987. That's a fact.

Reagan's AIDS Legacy / Silence equals death - SFGate

Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Reagan didn't mention AIDS until his 2nd term was nearly over, on May 31, 1987. That's a fact.

Reagan's AIDS Legacy / Silence equals death - SFGate
Every Americans should be required to read And The Band Played On, which was exactly about the government dropping the ball and allowing AIDS to spread the way it did.

https://www.amazon.com/Band-Played-P.../dp/0312374631

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Every Americans should be required to read And The Band Played On, which was exactly about the government dropping the ball and allowing AIDS to spread the way it did.

https://www.amazon.com/Band-Played-P.../dp/0312374631
I read it and saw the movie in addition. Randy Shilts was a prolific writer; there are some areas of dissent about his book, but overall it's an amazing piece of work, particularly covering the history.

I have a good friend, a librarian, who helped start and curate the first AIDS library collection back in his spare time, in the late 1980s and was very active in community activities and groups like ACT UP. He remains active today. I saw his first library workspace, which was held in a small church in SF. This is, of course, before the Interwebs existed. Now there is a vast library online, available to anyone who cares to look at reality and history. Revisionist history is sadly too common; Reagan's refusal to even mention the epidemic until very late in his 2nd term is well known and well-documented.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I read it and saw the movie in addition. Randy Shilts was a prolific writer; there are some areas of dissent about his book, but overall it's an amazing piece of work, particularly covering the history.

I have a good friend, a librarian, who helped start and curate the first AIDS library collection back in his spare time, in the late 1980s and was very active in community activities and groups like ACT UP. He remains active today. I saw his first library workspace, which was held in a small church in SF. This is, of course, before the Interwebs existed. Now there is a vast library online, available to anyone who cares to look at reality and history. Revisionist history is sadly too common; Reagan's refusal to even mention the epidemic until very late in his 2nd term is well known and well-documented.
Can't rep you again, but great information. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:

Reagan had a lot of explaining to do when he got to the pearly gates.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

And by the way; I don't give a damn if more people attended Obama's inauguration, even if true. It's irrelevant. He was the "first black president." People made a "Messiah" out of him. They fawned all over him.

Trump isn't a "Messiah." He is a man, and he is going to do what he said he would do. That's what matters now. In office less than a week, he has already accomplished more than Obama did in eight years!
Obviously you do CARE about the fact that Trump's inauguration was much smaller than Obama's ... or you wouldn't be reading this thread and spending time responding to it.

Understand this:

The crowd at Obama's inauguration was much larger than Trump's.

The crowd at last week's Women's March were larger than Trump's inauguration.

Trump's "Alternative Facts" are LIES.

Trumplethinskin is a liar.

Whenever his lips move they lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies