Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,148,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I have repeatedly asked this in other threads, but it probably deserves its own.

Before I begin, though, an explanation. I am not a HC supporter. Did not vote for her, am not sorry that she lost, dont miss her. And Trump will do certain things I am happy about, so while I think him an egomaniacal asswipe, his presidency will be more in line with my views on conservative justices and judges, America First, being non PC, likely not supporting the stupid transgender RR issue,abortion,voter ID, Boy Scouts and the trangendered, etc etc.

So my following point has nothing to do with being upset that HC lost. It has to do only with the actions of this POTUS, and even more to the point, the response from his supporters.

Why dont Trump supporters care that Trump so obviously lies? I really dont get it. In reading some of the responses, it seems they are almost pleased and happy that he lies, because his lying pizzes off the left. Well dudes and dudettes, being lied to should pizz off ANY normal person with a functioning moral compass. You LIKE being lied to? Why? Because he is lying to his own supporters as well, trying to make them accept as truth what is obviously a lie, AND hoping that you are too stupid to know the difference.

And this is the confusing thing for me. The people Trump is insulting are his own supporters. He doesnt believe for one minute that the press and the left suddenly accept his lies , he knows they dont. Spicer knew in his conference that people knew he was lying. Trump isnt counting on fooling the press and the left, he is counting on fooling his own supporters. He is counting on you guys to be too stupid to know he is lying, or counting on you being such willing sheeple that you dont care that he lies to you. And I dont get this.

So, why are you Trump supporters so willing to be lied to? And Trump knows he can do it. He has bragged about it. He has made statements about being able to shoot someone on the street and his supporters not caring and not leaving him over it. What does it take to become such a sheeple, when the guy makes fools of his supporters by bragging publicly about how they ARE sheeple willing to blindly follow him?

So can any Trump supporter explain the strange willingness of his supporters to be lied to by their hero, the willingness to follow a leader who counts on you being too stupid or too much of a sheeple to object to his continual and ridiculous lies? How will you know when he is NOT lying to you?

I hope Trump is a very successful POTUS that sweeps all 50 states in 2020 due to his overwhelming success. But I dont get the blind worship, the willingness to accept that Trump regards his followers as too stupid to be worried by his lying.

Maybe some can explain it.
One word...Authoritarianism.

Quote:
Authoritarian personality, a mentality closely associated with fascism and even nazism, plays a strong factor in the support for Donald Trump, according to some researchers.

Mark Leary, professor of Psychology and Neuroscience at Duke University, told The Christian Post that traits which define authoritarian personality include "rigid adherence to traditional values; the tendency to condemn, reject, and punish people who violate those values; and having a submissive, uncritical attitude toward powerful authorities who support and defend one's values and views."

Donald Trump Supporters Display 'Authoritarian Personality,' Psychologists Say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,382,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And that's the condensed version...lol.

Fact is that the nation has become so polarized in their beliefs that many people on both sides care more about the party agenda than they do about the integrity of individuals within the party.

It's not that people don't care.....it's just that there's bigger fish to fry.

Someone posted a good example a while back, If I remembered who it was I'd give credit, but I don't recall. It went something like this:

"When you have an infestation of rats in your house, you don't really care much about the character of the exterminator...

You just want them gone."
Make that sentiment double if you have bedbugs ....

1,761 posts, read 1,715,821 times
Quote:
I have repeatedly asked this in other threads, but it probably deserves its own.

Before I begin, though, an explanation. I am not a HC supporter. Did not vote for her, am not sorry that she lost, dont miss her. And Trump will do certain things I am happy about, so while I think him an egomaniacal asswipe, his presidency will be more in line with my views on conservative justices and judges, America First, being non PC, likely not supporting the stupid transgender RR issue,abortion,voter ID, Boy Scouts and the trangendered, etc etc.

So my following point has nothing to do with being upset that HC lost. It has to do only with the actions of this POTUS, and even more to the point, the response from his supporters.

Why dont Trump supporters care that Trump so obviously lies? I really dont get it. In reading some of the responses, it seems they are almost pleased and happy that he lies, because his lying pizzes off the left. Well dudes and dudettes, being lied to should pizz off ANY normal person with a functioning moral compass. You LIKE being lied to? Why? Because he is lying to his own supporters as well, trying to make them accept as truth what is obviously a lie, AND hoping that you are too stupid to know the difference.

And this is the confusing thing for me. The people Trump is insulting are his own supporters. He doesnt believe for one minute that the press and the left suddenly accept his lies , he knows they dont. Spicer knew in his conference that people knew he was lying. Trump isnt counting on fooling the press and the left, he is counting on fooling his own supporters. He is counting on you guys to be too stupid to know he is lying, or counting on you being such willing sheeple that you dont care that he lies to you. And I dont get this.

So, why are you Trump supporters so willing to be lied to? And Trump knows he can do it. He has bragged about it. He has made statements about being able to shoot someone on the street and his supporters not caring and not leaving him over it. What does it take to become such a sheeple, when the guy makes fools of his supporters by bragging publicly about how they ARE sheeple willing to blindly follow him?

So can any Trump supporter explain the strange willingness of his supporters to be lied to by their hero, the willingness to follow a leader who counts on you being too stupid or too much of a sheeple to object to his continual and ridiculous lies? How will you know when he is NOT lying to you?

I hope Trump is a very successful POTUS that sweeps all 50 states in 2020 due to his overwhelming success. But I dont get the blind worship, the willingness to accept that Trump regards his followers as too stupid to be worried by his lying.

I like your post....some very good points!

My thought is this. We've been mislead, or outright lied to by most politicians for generations now. They sometimes parse words to the point that you find out they really didn't say what you thought they said....in other words, you've been mislead.

Case in point. The mayor of a medium size city near by where I live, is always crowing about there being more jobs in the city now, than there were in past administrations. He of course presents a chart with a graph line showing the exact numbers and this line going up. Legally, mathematically, he was 100% correct. However, if you look at the average wage of those jobs, this community, as many others, have lost tons of "living wage" jobs over the past 10-30 years, and replaced them with Wal-Mart greeter/fast food and retail clerk type jobs that pay 1/2 to 1/3 of the old jobs they replaced. So you tell me, how meaningful is that "job growth" statistic ? This is being presented as a great thing.....is it really ? If I need three of these jobs to replace my one old job, do I think the mayor has done great things ? You tell me. My point is that you can tell the truth, and yet it's a very misleading "fact".

It's happened so long, that our "bar" for the truth is incredibly low, few of us have any expectation of upfront truth and clarify when politicians speak. "Figures don't lie, but liars figure" comes into play here.

It's true that Trumps lies, misstatements, over the top comments or whatever you wish to call them, were virtually immediately known to be false....but I think most of us knew that, and understood the principle he was attempting to put forward, rather than just swallowing his exact words or claims hook, line and sinker. Hillary told just as many lies....she's just less obvious about it. If you fact check her, she's certainly far from a paragon of virtue and truth herself.

One other thing that I think attracted people to Trump was the fact that he said what he felt, even when most of the time it wasn't PC. PC is a terrible disease that has attacked this country. Peoples opinions that aren't PC are being forced to keep them inside themselves rather than being able to speak their mind, regardless of how off the mark or unpleasant others may find their thoughts.

You tell me, what is a more dangerous situation. People who realistically can't actually speak their mind due to being crucified for their thoughts because the PC crowd will go for the throat in attacking them.....or allowing and encouraging people to speak their mind, get it off their chest, so we can figure out what they honestly feel deep down inside, why they feel this way, and perhaps friends, neighbors and society at large can work with these people to help them find a better way.

Instead, we're all afraid to speak our mind at times. You can't tell me, each and everyone of you, haven't ever had to ponder, at length, how to approach some issue for fear of offending someone, or bringing down the wrath of the PC crowd down on you. You end up having to parse your words at the very least, or outright misstate your true feelings....this isn't healthy, for you, or society at large.

Trump blew PC stuff right out of the water. He said some outrageous things...but they are things that many of us have thought from time to time, but knew we'd best not express those things publically. Michael Moore said it best in his short video I saw on YouTube before the election. He said something to the effect that people felt forgotten, powerless, and the only tool they had to fight back came in the privacy of the voting booth, where they could say anything they wanted with the simple pull of a lever. Lots of them choose to throw a monkey wrench into the establishment political area by voting for Trump. Hoping upon all hope, that perhaps he'll either succeed beyond all our wildest expectations, or at least break enough things in our political world, that when reassembled after his term, they will work better.

Last edited by jasper1372; 01-22-2017 at 09:53 AM..

10,420 posts, read 10,839,557 times
We got used to it after 8 years of Barry's.

23,795 posts, read 13,284,347 times
Trump is a liar. He has always lied. His cult calls it 'hyperbole.' His paid apologists and defenders direct people to 'not take him literally.'

He is a 70-year-old sociopath who is most likely not going to change. I have some sympathy for his paid liars and defenders, and assume these will be high turnover positions. He's already throwing Spicer under the bus.

But I believe many people are sick and tired and angry of his lies, confrontational attitude, continuous denial of reality and childish, petty BS.

Most educated adults do not, in fact, eventually accept lies as the truth and what it does is make people angry. Think about it--if your child or spouse continually lies to you, what happens? You become really pissed off. If this guy thinks the country is the Trump organization or his cult who will accept whatever he says, he is about to find out very differently.

His whole MO is demonizing a person or group to make himself look better, to blame his mistakes on, to deflect from his own idiocy. It has been Little Marco, Lyin Ted, Crooked Hillary, Crazy Bernie and the Dishonest Press. This is over. Nobody is putting up with his petty BS and lies any longer.

I encourage the MSM press to fight back as loudly as possible. They are not the ones lying. Trump and his posse are. Bannon, Flynn, Putin, Trump's mentor Roy Cohn--this is the way they roll. Lie, fight and demonize.

The cult will continue to believe him til they sink under the weight of his false promises. The rest of us know he cannot be believed or trusted and will continue shoving facts out there. We're just not going to take it, and I think that was made clear yesterday in cities around the country and world. It is going to be a really ugly couple of years if Trump doesn't grow up and stop acting like a little child, at the very least. He can take his clenched fist and shove it.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,975,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
We got used to it after 8 years of Barry's.
You guys say that all the time, but when pressed, it usually boils down to "You can keep your doctor".

Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What lies? I'm sure Trump does some puffery. But like others said, there are bigger fish to fry.
There's your explanation -- mere "puffery."

Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,378,134 times
Quote:

Such hypocrisy from the left. After 8 years of swallowing daily lies from Obama without a peep you have the gall to wonder why the other party isn't worked up over what the media is calling lies from Trump? Maybe it's not that they don't care about "lies" from Trump but don't believe the lies from the media who is accusing him. Liberal media has zero credibility anymore.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:

Why dont Trump supporters care that Trump so obviously lies? I really dont get it.
Trump supporters live in an artificial alternate reality where Trump doesnt lie every one else does.You will take as gospel everything Trumps says or be hated and vilified by his cultist acolytes.Unless you are a Trump worshiper you'll never get it as it defies logic.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,289,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think it's reasonable that you list specific lies for us to address.
* Inauguration crowd size, where Trump expects his followers to disbelieve hundreds of photos and believe his claim that it was the largest crowd ever.

* Number of transit riders to the inauguration. Simply a number he pulled out of thin air to be larger than the previous inaugurations.

* Obama silences the crowd booing a Trump supporter and tells the crowd the Trump supporter has the right to his views, and Trump claims, and never retracts, that Obama silenced the Trump supporter and kicked him out

* Trump claims Obama founded ISIS and that HC was co founder. Note that he did not just say that Obama was responsible for the formation of ISIS, but that he was an actual founder .

* Trump often claimed that Obama wanted to bring in 200,000 Syrian refugees. The number was actually 10,000, yet Trump refused to quit making the claim.

This is but 5 out of many . And we dont even get into all the claims made during the birther period, or all the times he has denied saying things that are on video showing him saying exactly what he denies.

But lets focus just on this latest one, because he expects his supporters to disbelieve photo evidence and simply believe him without any proof. So, do you believe him? Do you believe that this was the largest crowd ever, PERIOD, in spite of many photos from people from all over the country who attended the event and took photos showing a much smaller crowd ?

Or do you accept that Trump lied to you, and if so, why does him choosing to lie about such a petty matter not bother you, when it shows he has no respect for your ability to think for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies