Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:44 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow disgusting ...
And how could a lawyer lie like that when they know the real truth.

Hillary Clinton also defended a child rapist earlier in her career .
Is this the same woman who referred to black youth as super predators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times
Quote:
Wow disgusting ...
And how could a lawyer lie like that when they know the real truth .
Nearly spit out my coffee reading this....a Trump supporter concerned about the truth!! Funny man.

Quote:

Hillary Clinton also defended a child rapist earlier in her career .
Even disgusting criminals have a right to representation....read the frickn constitution for a change. If you prefer a country without such protections maybe you should "defect" to the Middle East.

Clinton worked at a Legal Aid clinic in 1975. She took the case at the request of a judge. That is what professional lawyers do.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Dems were gunning for a 3rd straight GE victory (always difficult to pull off), and lost narrowly. HRC even won the popular vote by a substantial margin.
Trump won 306 to 232.
Popular vote is irrelevant, of course; there is no reason for a Trump supporter in California, Maryland, Washington DC or New York to bother to vote. That drives the popular into a highly skewed space.

But here's the real issue. If you think politics are polarized now, just imagine what they will be with a straight popular vote.

What policies will the next Democratic President advocate, if he can win by deepening his margin in New York City rather than try for 51% in Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Nevada? What policies will the next Republican President choose if the path to victory can come from bigger victories in Salt Lake city and the rest of the Red states rather than have to try for 51% of Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and Nevada? What kinds of candidates will parties select if these are the paths to victory?

On the Democratic side, a policy to win New York, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco and LA, while letting the rest of the country rot, would show you what real "class warfare" looks like! Wealth tax. 90% income tax. Forget the muddled insurance "reform" of Obamacare -- single-payer "free" health care for all!

On the Republican side, the delicate dance over "social policy" would likely disappear -- appeal to the base for primaries, but but move quickly to the middle before the election and then don't do anything. If the Republicans can win by going for 90% majorities in rural areas and red states, what will happen to abortion, immigration, and civil liberties? And taxes that hit, oh, New York, Chicago, and Detroit are a good bet.

This isn't about beliefs. Our parties are coalitions. It's simple math of what policies assemble a winning coalition.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:56 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Trump won 306 to 232.
Popular vote is irrelevant, of course; there is no reason for a Trump supporter in California, Maryland, Washington DC or New York to bother to vote. That drives the popular into a highly skewed space.

As Trump said, he knew exactly what the game was and played it better then Hillary. If the game was to win the popular vote he would have run a completely different campaign and probably still beat Hillary. But the game was win the electoral and he knew he had to win swing states like MI,OH and WI and he spent every day there for weeks up to the election while Hillary was off the campaign trail being complacent and thinking she had it all locked up

Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 PM

516 posts, read 429,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Trump has signed the executive order to withhold federal funding to LA and all other sanctuary cities. I don't believe in all of his stances but I sure have never seen any president get more done as quickly as Trump and follow through on so many campaign promises within 1 week! Hey Obama, when are our troops coming home?....
I have a friend who is now at home with the lord. He was supposed to be coming home to American soil in early 2011. Never happened. Roadside bomb brought him to his real home instead.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Goodbye federal funding!

Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
I'm black and hate to say this but trump will get things done. He is threatening to send the feds into chi-town which is more than Obama did. I mean he lives there and didn't do $hit. With the exception of illegals, minorities will get better treatment in this country merely by the trickle down effect. I have no idea why they are protesting TBH, he is the president get over it. Legitimate voting or not, in the first week he did what he said he would.

I can't guarantee everything he does will be successful but can't say he lied about doing it. NAFTA and illegals, that needs to happen. He wants to improve america, and doesn't care about abroad issues. Obama literally wanted the world to be a better place while the citizens of this country ate water and crackers. I don't give two $hits about international relations. America is hated but inhabited by those who have extreme dislike for Americans. No more minority presidents, I have my reason for feeling this way. Nothing against Obama but he didn't do anything that makes me say damn. First term was historic and was great, should of never got a second term. TRUMP WILL DO MORE FOR MINORITIES SPECIFICALLY BLACK THAN OBAMA DID. just being honest.
Outstanding post - thank you!

I hope that soon many more people will wake up and understand that Trump isn't playing the only political game they have ever known. Working for America and Americans is a simple concept, but tragically one that relatively few alive today have seen in their lifetimes. Trump is showing us how it's done.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Nearly spit out my coffee reading this....a Trump supporter concerned about the truth!! Funny man.

Even disgusting criminals have a right to representation....read the frickn constitution for a change. If you prefer a country without such protections maybe you should "defect" to the Middle East.

Clinton worked at a Legal Aid clinic in 1975. She took the case at the request of a judge. That is what professional lawyers do.
What did Trump lie about ? He's already making good on campaign promises and it's his first week!

So Clinton chose money over morals and ethics ? Got it !

Old 01-27-2017, 12:37 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
You are wrong a majority of people do not want a path a citizenship for Illegals and even a majority of Legal Immigrants I have talked to want them to get deported. So Pasadena can go ahead and fight the Feds, hopefully I will be gone before they lose the funding because I still have kids in school here.

Undocumented immigrants>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Illegals.
Sorry, but they do. Study after study confirms this. Even Gump's victory has done little to shift American sentiment in this regard:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...olling/514700/

Quote:
Through the ups and downs of immigration-reform legislation and even under the darker shadows of the 2016 election season, American opinions about concrete policy solutions have remained remarkably stable. When asked about how the immigration system should deal with immigrants who are currently living in the country illegally, the new study found nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of Americans say we should allow them a way to become citizens provided they meet certain requirements, and another 15 percent say we should allow them a way to become permanent legal residents but not citizens. [/b]Only 16 percent of Americans, and only 28 percent of Republicans, say their preferred policy option is to identify and deport[/b] those who are living in the country without legal documentation.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:31 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times
Quote:
What did Trump lie about ? He's already making good on campaign promises and it's his first week!
https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeor...PLR#.ewRWllaKD

Trump’s Lies vs. Your Brain - POLITICO Magazine

Quote:

So Clinton chose money over morals and ethics ? Got it !
You apparently don't know that a lawyer for Legal Aid is as close to a volunteer job as any lawyer can get. Get a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies