Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With the Muslim worship of the left I could see this happening .
Leftists women wearing hijabs to "stand in solitarily" maybe they are already doing it ?
Maybe the men will do it too , the same way they been wearing the pink little pussyhats.

Once it's on social media all the lemming leftists will start doing it .
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JJDR4OfvaK...58016901_n.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-31-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Hmm...so if modesty is considered being subservient and second class, are the men of the religions you quoted also subservient and second class? They have strict dress codes as well you know?

On the contrary I think the wearing of clothes and modesty brings us closer to a human ideal...one in which we have a society that doesn't judge women or men on their cleavage, pecs or abs and instead on their character and moral hygiene.

Just a thought...
Yup.

You can find plenty of online shops advertising modest clothing.

Here's one that looks like it's trying to appeal to women of diverse ethnicities (and, presumably, religions) - Modest Dresses- ModestlyDressedBoutique.com

Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Hmm...so if modesty is considered being subservient and second class, are the men of the religions you quoted also subservient and second class? They have strict dress codes as well you know?

On the contrary I think the wearing of clothes and modesty brings us closer to a human ideal...one in which we have a society that doesn't judge women or men on their cleavage, pecs or abs and instead on their character and moral hygiene.

Just a thought...
If you had actual moral hygiene, you would not have different rules for men and women, and you wouldn't have rules for the receiver of dirty looks rather than the giver of the dirty looks. It is amoral.

Not judging means - not judging ab initio. Its not having clothing rules and regulations and for people who do judge and then blaming the judged! If you are not going to judge a transgender person, and what a fine thing that would be, you don't tell them to stay indoors so you can't see them and don't have to judge them.

Talk about upside down. Where the heck do you get your "morality" I don't judge a person on cleavage, pecs, hair or whatever whether I can see it or not. If you do - that's your lack of good morals.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I will never wear Muslim "religious" garb as a fashion statement.

1.) I am not Muslim.
2.) I will never be Muslim.
3.) My religion has its own dress code to follow.
4.) Muslim women usually don't like to see that anyway.

It's nothing but virtue signaling, and that's lame AF.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I rather see wigs!
It's a little disconcerting sometimes, walking down the street and ALL the women have perfect hair.

I'd rather wear a scarf if I was going to put something on my head. My head is too big for most hats and I imagine the sheitel wouldn't fit well, either.

At this point in my life, I usually just let the wind have at it.

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:

Just a thought...

No, they don't have similar strict dress codes. Some do wear the pajamas, but the ratio is waaay disproportionate. You will find many women walking around in burka and hijab in the heat while their husbands walk in front of them, in shorts and t-shirts enjoying the day. Or, swimming at the beach shirt off while their wives and daughters have to wear an ugly burkini.

When MEN have to wear burka and hijabs in the SAME WAY that women do (not just some silly little hat), THEN you will have a point.

And, you are infected with religious dogma nonsense if you think "modesty brings us to our human ideal."
We were in fact born naked in this world, and it is RELIGION that has criminalized and caused us to be shamed of our bodies and sex. MORALITY has nothing to do with SEX. SEX is amoral so long as it is between consenting adults and causes no harm to others.

Feminists used to believe this. Before they jumped on the "hijab is beautiful" train. Hijab is slavery for hundreds of millions of women. Forced on girls often at very young ages. The same girls who are often forbidden from marrying outside of their religion (which is a supremacist and intolerant feature of Islam), while the men again get to **** around and marry non-Muslim women.

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think other people's fashion choices is what bring humans together or closer.
It is mutual respect.

On a larger scale, some countries are more conservative / liberal than the others, this doesn't make them backward, and if you visit them, you should act according to their social norms, because this is what keeps stability and shows respect.

I don't need to tell a Muslim what she should be wearing. Same goes, she doesn't need to tell me "modesty" is what I need. Live and let live.
Absolutely, I agree. We can offer our opinions on what we may think is ideal and leave it at that. If you or I don't accept it, no big deal. You are free and I am free and everyone is free to make their own choices.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Absolutely, I agree. We can offer our opinions on what we may think is ideal and leave it at that. If you or I don't accept it, no big deal. You are free and I am free and everyone is free to make their own choices.
agreed.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Christian women did. Look at a deck of playing cards, at the queens. And nuns wear what was the peasant dress of a typical woman in the Middle Ages, although some have abandoned the habit to wear the ordinary clothing of modern women.

It was a middle eastern thing, not a Muslim or Jewish or Christian thing, although Orthodox Muslims and Jews still adhere to women covering their heads. Some Orthodox Christians did, too, until recently. Did you not see the grandmother in My Big Fat Greek Wedding?
lol yes ma'am I did.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo
Dopo's Memes and Photographs

The 21st Century is calling you, DoPo. They want you to join us. Women in Europe will wear costumes like that for festivals and cultural events.

I have never seen a woman in traditional dress like that outside a festival.

(Oh, except maybe old ladies in mourning in all black and a headscarf in Portugal. But they don't have prescriptions against showing their ****GASP **** HAIR!!!!! ***** to an unrelated man. It's just something done.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies