Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I kind of would like the hijab to go mainstream fashion. Frankly, I've often looked at the Muslim women in the office and thought how nice it would be to not worry about your hair...just tie a pretty scarf around your head and go about your day!

Now where I work the women wear wigs to cover their hair for religious reasons. Everybody looks as if they have perfect hair. But that's a lot more expensive.
Me too!

I would love to wear a beautiful scarf like that when I'm having a bad hair day.

Some of hijabs are so pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 PM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
How about we just let people choose what they want to wear (based on what makes them feel comfortable, or beautiful, or for whatever reason they choose) and focus on the way they treat others instead of their physical appearance? It seems to me that is the only answer in keeping with a free society.
The unfettered "free" society you are describing can only exist in imagination.

Would you approve of:
a) A Klansman's choice to wear his hood to work?
b) A Jain monk, who is mandated by his religion to not wear any clothes, to go teach kids in a classroom?

Old 01-31-2017, 05:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yeah, let women wear hijabs to show solidarity with Muslim nations. The hijab is a symbol of oppression. Do these fools not know that?!?! That's like black people wearing chains as a fashion statement. Or Jews wearing a star.
You seem not to know what a hijab is compared to a burqa, niqab and chador. A hijab is simply a headscarf used as a sign of modesty and nothing more.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
I kind of would like the hijab to go mainstream fashion. Frankly, I've often looked at the Muslim women in the office and thought how nice it would be to not worry about your hair...just tie a pretty scarf around your head and go about your day!

Now where I work the women wear wigs to cover their hair for religious reasons. Everybody looks as if they have perfect hair. But that's a lot more expensive.
I would agree if it weren't for an actually truly oppressive sick twisted reasoning that they are worn in the first place.

I would love to not have to worry about my hair in all seriousness but I love even more NOT being part of a religion that wants women to cover their heads and bodies so men won't be tempted to have sex with them.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Hmm...so if modesty is considered being subservient and second class, are the men of the religions you quoted also subservient and second class? They have strict dress codes as well you know?

On the contrary I think the wearing of clothes and modesty brings us closer to a human ideal...one in which we have a society that doesn't judge women or men on their cleavage, pecs or abs and instead on their character and moral hygiene.

Just a thought...
One has to wonder how people would react if men wore keffiyeh's commonly in the streets of the US .

Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With the Muslim worship of the left I could see this happening .
Leftists women wearing hijabs to "stand in solitarily" maybe they are already doing it ?
Maybe the men will do it too , the same way they been wearing the pink little pussyhats.

Once it's on social media all the lemming leftists will start doing it .

http://shoebat.com/wp-content/upload...256736s-vi.jpg
Can you show us any examples of lefties 'Worshipping" Muslims? I stand in "solitarily" with sanity, not cowardice.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The men listened to her because she ascribed to their rules for women who don't want to be considered whores.

That isn't empowerment.

Stop. Normalizing. Misogyny.

There is ALWAYS a correlation between the number of hijabs on the streets, and lack of freedom "in the sheets." The more hijabs you see, the less free and open a society you will find. The less rights women will have in that society in general. This is a lesson learned through empirical observation. Deep down you must know this. Can you honestly say or show otherwise?
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (9/11 mastermind) was/may still be on trial in Guantanamo and the women on his legal team, and any woman in the courtroom too, had to wear hijabs or he wouldn't talk to them, wouldn't even acknowledge them. It's absolutely about "respect" and wanting women to conform, yup.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:06 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I would agree if it weren't for an actually truly oppressive sick twisted reasoning that they are worn in the first place.

I would love to not have to worry about my hair in all seriousness but I love even more NOT being part of a religion that wants women to cover their heads and bodies so men won't be tempted to have sex with them.
LOL, well, there's THAT. I have no intention of changing my religion, either.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
LOL, well, there's THAT. I have no intention of changing my religion, either.
Obviously I support a woman's right to wear a hijab, and in many cases I do hope it's a choice and she is not forced to do so. I want to make that clear. However I think it's clear what the origins are...

I have spoken to young Muslim women who also say they feel empowered by wearing it. That's good for them, although as an outsider I don't see it as empowering. One said it's empowering because it's a choice she makes. That's fair.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Obviously I support a woman's right to wear a hijab, and in many cases I do hope it's a choice and she is not forced to do so. I want to make that clear. However I think it's clear what the origins are...

I have spoken to young Muslim women who also say they feel empowered by wearing it. That's good for them, although as an outsider I don't see it as empowering. One said it's empowering because it's a choice she makes. That's fair.

Honestly much of it is for attention. Assertion of identity in the face of the prevailing culture. A way to stick out.

Really, if the goal is modesty then hijab and burka makes you STICK OUT and call attention to yourself in the western world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies