Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times

Advertisements

How about we just let people choose what they want to wear (based on what makes them feel comfortable, or beautiful, or for whatever reason they choose) and focus on the way they treat others instead of their physical appearance? It seems to me that is the only answer in keeping with a free society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Ummm no. Do your research regarding the meaning of hijab. Muslim men wear hijab, as it is not limited to the veil/headscarf.

Actually, in Tuareg culture (Muslim), the men wear the veil/headscarf.

Further, whether the veil/headscarf is considered mandatory depends on the family, culture etc. Plenty women have the choice to wear it. Many do, others dont.

That is right...no burka and...

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...IGigA&dpr=0.95

Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
CNN Anchor Says Americans Should Wear Hijabs | The Daily Caller

Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The men listened to her because she ascribed to their rules for women who don't want to be considered whores.

That isn't empowerment.

Stop. Normalizing. Misogyny.

There is ALWAYS a correlation between the number of hijabs on the streets, and lack of freedom "in the sheets." The more hijabs you see, the less free and open a society you will find. The less rights women will have in that society in general. This is a lesson learned through empirical observation. Deep down you must know this. Can you honestly say or show otherwise?
Stop.Reading.Things.That.Aren't.There.Into.Everyth ing. That's the most annoying Internet message board tactic, IMO.

I merely offered another perspective of something I'd read. I wasn't defending the wearing of the hijab or arguing that women have less rights in those societies. Well, DUH. yeah, and water is wet. I was just offering information for the sake of people learning something. You may be right. You may be wrong, because unless you can tell me otherwise, neither of us has experienced living in Egypt.

The point remains that the woman, who is intelligent and involved in her country's government and culture said wearing the hijab helped her to reach her goals. I found it interesting. Not everything is something to be shrieked about and argued over. Sometimes it's good to just think and learn when new information is offered. It can help promote UNDERSTANDING of people in other cultures. Isn't that a worthy goal?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:14 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
How about we just let people choose what they want to wear (based on what makes them feel comfortable, or beautiful, or for whatever reason they choose) and focus on the way they treat others instead of their physical appearance? It seems to me that is the only answer in keeping with a free society.
Stop with that logical and thoughtful nonsense! It has no place on this forum.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
I've seen women in the marches, who weren't Muslim, wearing a hijab. This could be considered appropriation of someone else's religion and culture - something the Left has preached against for a long time.

It's also interesting that feminists, who fought for womens rights, now support a religion that views women as inferior.

Feminists certainly never supported Christian women who wanted to be subservient to their husbands.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:24 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The point remains that the woman, who is intelligent and involved in her country's government and culture said wearing the hijab helped her to reach her goals.
IMO, it's no different from someone working in a corporate environment who wears a suit or business clothing and someone in that same environment who wears jeans and a tee shirt. Which one will command more respect?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I've seen women in the marches, who weren't Muslim, wearing a hijab. This could be considered appropriation of someone else's religion and culture - something the Left has preached against for a long time.

It's also interesting that feminists, who fought for womens rights, now support a religion that views women as inferior.

Feminists certainly never supported Christian women who wanted to be subservient to their husbands.
Exactly good example of the hypocrisy of the left

Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The 21st Century is calling you, DoPo. They want you to join us. Women in Europe will wear costumes like that for festivals and cultural events.

I have never seen a woman in traditional dress like that outside a festival.
I have,
old Portuguese immigrant women in Venezuela's mountains

Old 01-31-2017, 03:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
A garment is not owned by any religion or community. Wear scarf, grow a beard, become vegan.....who cares. Be a good person & thats it. So tired of these religion politics. Escaped my third world country to get away from this type of backward radical thinking but it follows me here. Getting emotional about religion represents collective ignorance of the left. We should be focusing on science, technology, education & not get played by media. Cant remember the last time I heard news about something I really care about like technology. Even entertainment websites like buzzfeed & award shows are politicizing everything. We are so ignorant & backward.
Yup.
But ignorance and religion oft go hand in hand.
I think most people are either unaware of the fact or simply conveniently forget the fact that religions were created to placate and control people.

And now it's turned into some geopolitical nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies