Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,614,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I hope Democrats fight his nomination as far and as long as they can.
You lost, get over it!

Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM

18,489 posts, read 15,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And he likely can't. Trump does not appear to be as smart as he thinks he is. He has likely kicked off a Constitutional crisis. And a good part of the Republican Senators understand that.

The situatlion called for a mildly centrist conservative. Trump went the other way. It is doubtful he can win but if he does he sets the hounds of hell loose. Given a democrat victory you end up with 15 guys on in USSC. And lots of other damaging garbage. It will likely end up with a new Constitution.

Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. Particularly dangerous with a minority government.
But...the Democrats LOVE the nuclear option. That was their baby. Are things different now that it can be used against them?

Do Democrats regret the 'nuclear option' now that Trump will be president? - CNNPolitics.com

Quote:
Three years after using the "nuclear option" to upend Senate tradition by effectively removing filibusters against most presidential nominations, Senate Democrats insisted Thursday they don't regret that decision, even as Donald Trump becomes president and they recognize they may be powerless to block controversial nominations.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:39 PM

39,315 posts, read 27,692,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The paragraph is inane. Conservatives love him and liberals should like his humor and affable style. WTF?

Corruption in politics is the biggest issue in our lifetime and everything points to this guy being someone who wants to EXPAND bribery in politics.
I think you need to calm down and watch your language.

This is the quote

"I think the conservatives will love him and the liberals will find very little to fault," Mark Hansen, a former partner of Gorsuch's at Kellogg Huber Hansen, told CNN. "He's an affable, collegial, unpretentious man with a good sense of humor."

He is not as "conservative" as you think he is.

57,410 posts, read 26,339,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Awesome! He cried when Scalia died. He supports religious freedom. He is an originalist. And believes that statutes should be interpreted literally and not be based on legislative history or the purpose of the legislation.

I'm thrilled! I pray for a quick and painless process!
You need to pray very hard.

17,478 posts, read 9,305,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why ???
When it comes to anything Supreme Court - I default to SCOTUSblog.com.
This is to replace Antonin Scalia - a Supreme Court Justice that is Historic.
Judge Gorsuch is a suitable replacement for Judge Scalia - a different Judge would be more appropriate for Justice Gingsberg. I like balance, I prefer and expect Balance. That's what we got.

The Democrats/Leftists will LOSE by forcing the Senate to go "Nuclear" on this Justice.
There Obstructionist Playbook will come back and not only "Bite " them - but harm them (and the USA) if they attempt it. The odds are great that President Trump will appoint at least 2 more Justices the the US Supreme Court.

Do they really want to fight ..... and LOSE this battle?
Do the Leftists really want to push this President (who is hard to push) to a Nuclear Option?

That would "Change" everything going forward.
I don't think it's a place we want to go.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 PM

15,656 posts, read 10,428,470 times
Based on listening to the Dems response on MSNBC, Republicans will have to change the rules to the nuclear option. The Democrats will not approve Gorsuch. I will applaud the Republican's decision to nuke 'em. They shouldn't even wait. Change the rule and confirm Gorsuch tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM

778 posts, read 340,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You need to pray very hard.
I know, the democrats whine about fairness, until they have to walk the talk.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 PM

18,489 posts, read 15,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Based on listening to the Dems response on MSNBC, Republicans will have to change the rules to the nuclear option. The Democrats will not approve Gorsuch otherwise. I will applaud this decision.
The Democrats won't mind. They are in favor of the nuclear option.

Do Democrats regret the 'nuclear option' now that Trump will be president? - CNNPolitics.com

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,490,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Do the Leftists really want to push this President (who is hard to push) to a Nuclear Option?
The nuclear option has nothing to do with the President.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,001,625 times
No one seems to know anything about the guy, yet Im sure there will be riots since Trump picked him.

Wish there was term limits for these positions though. I dont trust 90 year olds and their mental competence when it comes to interpreting/making laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.