Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM

17,371 posts, read 11,338,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And he likely can't. Trump does not appear to be as smart as he thinks he is. He has likely kicked off a Constitutional crisis. And a good part of the Republican Senators understand that.

The situatlion called for a mildly centrist conservative. Trump went the other way. It is doubtful he can win but if he does he sets the hounds of hell loose. Given a democrat victory you end up with 15 guys on in USSC. And lots of other damaging garbage. It will likely end up with a new Constitution.

Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. Particularly dangerous with a minority government.
You couldn't be more wrong. Trump needs to replace Scalia with someone just as conservative or close to it. The Supreme Court is balanced that way.
Your post has so much fantasy in it. A new Constitution? Boy, someones been drinking a lot of that kool-aide.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,391,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
But...the Democrats LOVE the nuclear option. That was their baby. Are things different now that it can be used against them?

Do Democrats regret the 'nuclear option' now that Trump will be president? - CNNPolitics.com
The Democrats were sorely tempted but basically declined. I actually think it was a Republican mistake. They finally went too far and got a response. Modulated but still bad.

If the Democrats had wanted to overthrow the system they could have done so. We could for instance now have 15 judges on the USSC with Senate rules that make it virtually impossible to remove themd.

The crucial thing is that neither party cripples these mechanisms. As I said...if you do it could well end up with a new Constitution.

So be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,754,939 times
He is 49, but looks like 59 with all the grey hair.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM

778 posts, read 340,402 times
The best part is, he is only 49 (the average age of an individual appointed to the SCOTUS is 52) so he will (God willing) have long term impact. The average age of retirement/death of a SCOTUS Justice is 82.

Ginsberg is 83
Kennedy is 80
Bryer is 78
Thomas is 68
Alito is 66
Sotomayor is 62
Roberts is 55
Kegan is 50

So if Ginsberg and Kennedy retire - and maybe even Bryer, then....that is going to a good thing if the other nominees are cut from the same cloth as Gorsuch!!

Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM

1,274 posts, read 981,339 times
There will be some response to the treatment Republicans reserved to Garland last year... it's only to be expected, Republicans should not have done what they did and listen to Obama's nominee.

I don't understand why Republicans are so upset with the Democrats expected action, when they are the ones who created that situation...

Old 01-31-2017, 06:52 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,125,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Actually I did.
As I am an Independent I would love to see both parties go down in flames for what they have done to this country. If the Dems do the same stunt that simply proves they are no better and possibly worse. Sotomayor was passed through in spite of her lack of qualifications and her questionable position regarding the Constitution.
I too, lean independent these days. My candidate lost in the Democratic primary.

But this judge nominee thinks the suffering should rot in pain at the end of their lives. Death with dignity is something I care about and hope is available one day when my own time comes. This judge would surely make that not possible.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 PM

18,491 posts, read 15,300,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The Democrats were sorely tempted but basically declined. I actually think it was a Republican mistake. They finally went too far and got a response. Modulated but still bad.

If the Democrats had wanted to overthrow the system they could have done so. We could for instance now have 15 judges on the USSC with Senate rules that make it virtually impossible to remove themd.

The crucial thing is that neither party cripples these mechanisms. As I said...if you do it could well end up with a new Constitution.

So be careful what you wish for. You might get it.
Isn't that what was said to the dems when they decided to use it? Well, this seems like the natural result. They set a precedent after 40 years of senate tradition.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,391,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. Trump needs to replace Scalia with someone just as conservative or close to it. The Supreme Court is balanced that way.
Your post has so much fantasy in it. A new Constitution? Boy, someones been drinking a lot of that kool-aide.
And your post shows the standard right wing inability to understand the unintended consequences of their actions.

I don't want a new Constitution though I think it inevitable, or the threat of one causes significant changes to the existing one. The issue will be the Senate I think.

That you do not understand the ramification of a Senate rule change simply shows why people like Trump govern so badly.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,973,153 times
You need to see Joe Biden who set the rules on lame duck presidents' nominees.

"It's not fair" said Biden "to let a lame-duck president make such an important decision. . . .saying once the “political season” had started, the president should back down and wait until after the election."

"Mr. Biden went so far as to say that Mr. Bush shouldn’t even bother to nominate anyone, much less have the Senate approve the pick — exactly the stance Republicans are now taking toward Mr. Obama" (referring to Garland).

Garland was a lame duck president's nominee, nominated well into the political season. Republicans were just following Biden's lead. It's hadn't been done in years before and hasn't been done since Biden set out these rules.

Joe Biden's 1992 opposition to lame-duck Supreme Court pick could doom Obama nomination - Washington Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyPeopleAreSayin View Post
This was Garland's seat, GOP stole it. Dems need to resist to the death

Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM

15,656 posts, read 10,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The Democrats won't mind. They are in favor of the nuclear option.

Do Democrats regret the 'nuclear option' now that Trump will be president? - CNNPolitics.com
Merkley will get what he wants. Majority rules via nuclear option.

I don't think most Americans respect Merkley's view of majority rules. We want compromise. We want bi-partisan decisions from both parties in Congress. That is no longer possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies