Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times

Advertisements

Oh, who cares about the "Don't be racist but pander to our race" crowd.

Yawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:52 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Trump just has to brag. And brag and brag and brag and brag.

That little speech was typical. He manages to touch on 3 famous Afro-Americans everyone learns of in grade school, but it's all about him, not them.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe the doctor wanted to know if you were transgendered?

Maybe there are some illnesses that are more common in white males?

If it was a white privilege questionnaire, it would not ask about gender.

Since you asked about white privilege:

What color crayon in the pack is called "flesh?"

Have you ever felt you were in danger of being harassed by police due to your skin color?

Do you often feel as though store clerks are looking at you to see if you're stealing when you shop?

Are the hair care products for people of your skin color located in the "hair care" section and not the "ethnic" section of the hair care aisle?

Have you ever felt that your coworkers thought you got a job or promotion due to the color of your skin?

That is white privilege. It's not always incredibly obvious, but these things all add up.

And, no... it's not your fault that it came about in the first place, but like the rest of us, it's up to you to put an end to it and to strive for equality.
Lots of focus on the "feels" here.

The problem I have with the privilege topic is that it's used as an excuse. I was always more of a quiet guy (not as much as I get older), but I specifically remember getting into an argument with someone who was an extrovert and listing off reasons they have it easier - all the negative assumptions and annoyances I dealt with being the introvert at family gatherings and on sports teams, etc.

This was before anyone was talking about white or male privilege, btw. Maybe I would have called it extrovert privilege...but I seriously bought into that whole narrative of how I was disadvantaged.

I look back at that and wonder what I was doing...even if I was right, who cares? Anyone with that mentality is going to fail. It's such a helpless and powerless mindset. I really hate to see people looking through the lense of "all of those people have it easier than me". Maybe in some areas, but you have advantages in others.

Last edited by T0103E; 02-01-2017 at 11:18 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Frederick Douglass was awesome. I think he was very libertarian by today's standards. He has some great quotes, and it's kind of scary how many parallels there are between him vs. his fellow slaves and libertarians vs. statists.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Frederick Douglass would be considered an Uncle Tom in today's "culture". LOL. Suspected of plagiarism and child molesting, he was still a "black" icon. Due, no doubt, to "black privilege". But carry on with worshiping him.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nope.... not all of them. Just ones who are so willfully intent on not seeing that they are privileged.

Fortunately, we don't all think like those people and there are plenty of white people who know they are privileged solely for being white and who work very hard to ensure that others are treated equally.

It's called "being a caring human being."
I'm a caring human being and a lifelong Democrat. I don't have a racist bone in my body, but I totally disagree with you. (by the way, so does Morgan Freeman)

Old 02-02-2017, 01:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm a caring human being and a lifelong Democrat. I don't have a racist bone in my body, but I totally disagree with you. (by the way, so does Morgan Freeman)
The Donald would be confused ...thinking Morgan Freeman is Frederick Douglass with a haircut!

Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Frederick Douglass was awesome. I think he was very libertarian by today's standards. He has some great quotes, and it's kind of scary how many parallels there are between him vs. his fellow slaves and libertarians vs. statists.
"To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker."

Frederick Douglass

The SJWs in Berkeley could have used this one last night.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:43 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Read up until it devolved into a "your a racist" "no I'm not, you are" thread. Which was quick.

This is about as stupid as the Obama 50 state thread. People make mistakes when speaking. That said.

Nothing Trump said is inconsistent with him knowing who Frederick Douglass is.

Quote:
someone who has done an amazing job.
He is talking about being proud about the museum recognizing someone who has done an amazing job. This is just a way of speaking.

Quote:
He is being recognized more and more
He is talking about people bringing him up and recognizing him more and more, not that he actively getting recognition. This is true by the way.

Lastly. Trump is no orator. He talks plainly....not eloquently. So slamming him for that is just pointless. Might as well slam him for being old. You are what you are.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I saw this. I don't get the big deal...
If you can't see how dumb Trump is by the way he speaks, then you are also lacking in intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies