Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 09:11 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,565,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This affects every industry, what we are discussing here is government regulations exacerbating those issues.

In a hypothetical situation where environmental concerns were tossed aside and a guarantee they were not coming back the coal industry would absolutely boom. That of course is not going to happen and not something anyone would want to see.

Cheaper alternative energy sources prove your premise wrong. Government regulations are probably not even in the top two reasons (1. diminished demand 2. automation) why coal jobs have declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Clean air and water are only Democratic policies?
The over the top regulations are Democrat policies.

Quote:
Renewable energy is only a Democratic policy?
As far as throwing money into a black hole for technology that will never replace coal, natural gas, hydro ow wind... surely.

Quote:
Going to blame computers and automation on those damned Democrats?
Having had a computer since about 1983 and having actually worked to establish a BBS which would be the predecessor to news groups followed by the forum you are using now I'm well aware of how and why computers are taking jobs.

Now back to my PHP script which for some reason is not processing multi-byte characters as intended. It appears when I split the string into an array using preg_split thay are not being parsed correctly despite the fact I'm using the u modifier on the regex. I think it's an issue with the character encoding in the database. Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Cheaper alternative energy sources prove your premise wrong.
If they are cheaper then why was the solar industry crying over the possibility of the tax credit not getting extended? Dire warnings about massive job losses from the industry, were they lying?

Even if the watt per watt cost is lower they still cannot replace coal, natural gas, hydro or nuclear. You can only supplement those sources of power, you cannot replace.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:41 AM

1,896 posts, read 812,105 times
Quote:

As far as throwing money into a black hole for technology that will never replace coal, natural gas, hydro ow wind... surely.

Having had a computer since about 1983 and having actually worked to establish a BBS which would be the predecessor to news groups followed by the forum you are using now I'm well aware of how and why computers are taking jobs.

Now back to my PHP script which for some reason is not processing multi-byte characters as intended. It appears when I split the string into an array using preg_split thay are not being parsed correctly despite the fact I'm using the u modifier on the regex. I think it's an issue with the character encoding in the database. Any suggestions?

That black hole is providing ~11% of electricity generation in Texas and cheaper electricity prices. In fact prices, have been cheaper since wind and gas power swept the state. I think the black hole has been the billions put into clean coal and CO2 sequestration initiatives considering coal is predicted to stagnate before declining.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:45 AM

1,896 posts, read 812,105 times
Quote:
If they are cheaper then why was the solar industry crying over the possibility of the tax credit not getting extended? Dire warnings about massive job losses from the industry, were they lying?

Even if the watt per watt cost is lower they still cannot replace coal, natural gas, hydro or nuclear. You can only supplement those sources of power, you cannot replace.
Well you know what time of day the sun is shining.... pretty easy to have a base load of natural gas/nuclear supplemented by solar and wind. Then you have to assume battery storage is a go- nowhere technology.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:

Haha. PHP? preg_split? Seriously, you young whippersnappers don't know what programming is. About all you know how to do is pass arguments to functions already written for you. Back in the day....

Old 06-03-2017, 10:57 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
We need to spend money on vocational training schools to help replace coal jobs with welders, electricians, plumbrs. Etc.
I'm for taking some funding from the elitist liberal anarchy colleges and reroute it to vocational colleges.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 AM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Well you know what time of day the sun is shining.... pretty easy to have a base load of natural gas/nuclear supplemented by solar and wind.
It's possible to do, but it's not economical unless the added capital cost of the solar and wind is offset by the fuel savings from the conventional plants.

In places like Hawaii and other isolated islands, the fuel cost for conventional plants is very expensive (they have to ship the fuel thousands of miles from the mainland). In those places, it is now economical to add solar and/or wind to the grid, because the fuel savings is enough to offset the added capital cost of the wind and solar. But in the vast majority of the world, the fuel savings is nowhere near enough to offset the added capital cost of the wind and solar.

Quote:
Then you have to assume battery storage is a go- nowhere technology.
Storing enough energy to eliminate the need for conventional power plants (as backup) is a daunting challenge. A physicist from UC San Diego has done some preliminary calculations to show the scale of the problem: https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/08/n...sized-battery/

Right now, the only economical grid-scale energy storage technology is pumped-hydroelectric, but we'd need to flood a huge amount of land to have enough storage:
https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/11/pump-up-the-storage/

Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is a RWNJ lie.

Clinton pointed out the future did not look good for coal mining and advocated for retraining options for unemployed miners.
No, that's the stone, cold truth, whether you want to see it or not. In Clinton's view, the diminishing impact of coal means giving up fighting for it with the hopes of replacing it with renewable alternatives. In her radical environmentalist view, coal is bad and she talked lightly about putting coal workers out of business. Those are words that she spoke, not me. President Trump, on the other hand, acknowledges that coal won't be as strong as it once was for various reasons. Instead of giving up, however, he is fighting for both coal and alternative renewables. That's the big difference between Crooked Hillary and President Trump on this issue.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
That black hole is providing ~11% of electricity generation in Texas and cheaper electricity prices.
Repeat after me. Coal, natural gas, hydro and nuclear cannot be replaced by wind and solar.

Wind gets about 2.3 cent tax credit per kWh, the cost to generate electric from coal and gas ALL costs inclusive can be as low as 3 cents.

You and others keep touting how low cost these technologies are. If so we no longer need to subsidize them, we no longer need to mandate their use and Trump ripping this agreement up is meaningless because there is no need for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies