Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I guess it doesn't help to explain the major difference between a sitting President talking about policy and a private citizen violating U.S. law by contacting a foreign country and discussing government sanctions.

You are either grasping at straws or being obtuse. In any case, a candidate can promise the moon during an election. This is not the same thing. Not even close.
It explains to me he shouldn't have done such a thing and now he's "resigned", ie fired in my book, which is what should have happened.

As for grasping at straws, I'm just bringing up examples of what I see as a double standard with this admin vs the last and all the things they got away with. More examples....why wasn't the AG forced to resign after meeting with bill on the tarmac? That to me was ridiculous how she didn't resign/wasn't force to resign. What about hil clinton when she was/before/after AG with all the connections that was reported with pay for play matters, russian and uranium, etc.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...pany.html?_r=0

I don't justify anything any politician does/doesn't do as I don't trust any of them. My point here is the mob with pitchforks mentality that exists on threads like this of partisan politics that stinks....good for my "Team", but not for yours. It's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree that Flynn probably will not be prosecuted. I already wrote in another post that I doubt he will be charged. However, why bring up Hillary Clinton's emails? It is an entirely different subject. General Flynn was well aware of what he was doing. He just didn't realize that calls to Russia were being monitored and that he'd be caught. There is absolutely no evidence that Hillary's email server was hacked and, even if she had contacted a foreign government, she was SOS at the time. Still, this is not about Clinton, yet her name is all over this thread.

If someone drives a new car home without permission from the dealer, even if he agreed to buy it, it's still car theft until the paperwork is signed. Every time someone starts to compare Obama, Clinton and other government officials with a private citizen who had no authority, I try to think of an analogy, but it should be very clear without them.
I brought the emails just for a recent example of the use of "intent".

A citizen speaking with a foreign official, without specific authorization from the US, is not rare or anything, and happens all of the time. The Act is very vague, and given on how and why it was created, seems to be thrown together quickly for a specific reason, and no one ever bothered to repeal the Act, because it was never really used, kind of like the Communist Control Act.

Do they have or released the content of the phone calls?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
do a little research, the media has been at pains to point out Obama fired him when he started to go off the rails. Since then he went to Russia working for RT (Russian propaganda station) and he then went hog wild during Trump's campaign leading chants of "lock her up" .

Trump should have spoken to Obama , he should have acted like an adult and accepted that Flynn was wholly unsuitable and a risk, but then again Trump has plenty of Russian buddies so he likely thought it is normal ...

Flynn was and is very closely tied to Russia he should never have been let in the Whitehouse once this started... Obama was right to get rid of him and that alone should have warned Trump.
Absolutely and this just goes to prove what a corrupt and inept moron Trump is.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
I hope they put enough pressure on Flynn so he has no choice but to sing. If you think this starts and ends with him you are a fool.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said it before, but Trump's supporters will be scattering into the dark recesses they came from when this is all over. Finding a Trump supporter in a few years will be even harder than finding someone who admits they supported the Iraq invasion.
LOL. Flynn will be forgotten in 3 days. Michael who?

No more noise on this from liberal crybabies. Trump moves at the speed of light. Get ready for that Mexican border wall.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think that's a fake account. No blue check next to his name.
Even some news sources were fooled (as was I until I read further) They have since printed retractions, but nobody really knows where it came from. This is one reason Trump shouldn't use Twitter so much, especially to talk about government business.

I am not a Twitter member and didn't know about the verified accounts. Maybe someone in North Korea or Iran would be unaware of it too.

It's possible Trump nearly flipped out when he saw the Tweet since Flynn might be a loose cannon. We just don't know any more what's going on in Trump World.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The Logan Act specifically say's no person, not in an official capacity, shall negotiate with a foreign power. It is a crime to do so.
It say's nothing about a sitting president negotiating with a foreign power, in fact that is their job to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

So what part of the italicized/bolded section did Flynn not do?

It says "...without authority...with intent to influence...in relation to any disputes..."

It does not flat out state "no person, not in an official capacity, shall negotiate with a foreign power." There is more to it than just that.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I honestly didn't see that until you posted it and I went back looking for it. I saw it linked on another forum.

Thanks for the correction. I edited my original post.

LOL. Ouch. We all make mistakes, the better of us like you admit them.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I hope they put enough pressure on Flynn so he has no choice but to sing. If you think this starts and ends with him you are a fool.
Exactly.

Sally Yates told the WH of the transcripts and the potential for blackmail. A few days later she was fired.

If there was an "erosion of trust," one would think Trump and Bannon would have asked for Flynn's resignation at the point they were informed of the truth.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It says "...without authority...with intent to influence...in relation to any disputes..."

It does not flat out state "no person, not in an official capacity, shall negotiate with a foreign power." There is more to it than just that.
Though I admire your stalwart support, and parsing of words, we've moved beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies