Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 01:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
More sacrifices to the gods of equality.
You mean the Gods of GE.

Don't worry. You weren't getting a job there anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
guess that's why Indians and other Asians are failing miserably in the tech industry, Oh wait
Well they may get prioritized for engineering and finance jobs, but there are few asians in other departments like marketing and sales. Because of profiling! Still discrimination.

Black names go to the trash for all roles. It is a bit more nuanced for Asians.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270278/
We conclude that early experience, biological factors, educational policy, and cultural context affect the number of women and men who pursue advanced study in science and math and that these effects add and interact in complex ways. There are no single or simple answers to the complex questions about sex differences in science and mathematics.
That doesn't prove inherent differences in capability in the genders to perform STEM. It's complicated and there are many reasons that lead to the gender imbalance, and there is no single simple solution.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
GE to Employ 20,000 Women in Bid to End
Good idea or should people stop worrying about how many of a certain race or gender is in a certain field?
Hope they couple this with retention programs and help train managers to review and evaluate employees the same way. Help overcome the biases that impact promotions and advancement.

Performance review gender bias: High-achieving women are 'abrasive' | Fortune.com
Gendered language in performance reviews - Business Insider
Stanford researchers say women get vague feedback in performance reviews.
The real reason women quit tech

Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270278/
We conclude that early experience, biological factors, educational policy, and cultural context affect the number of women and men who pursue advanced study in science and math and that these effects add and interact in complex ways. There are no single or simple answers to the complex questions about sex differences in science and mathematics.
First of all, did you actually read the paper? Frankly, I think what you are attempting to push is as bad for men as it is women. If men are inherently better at STEM than women, and many women don't find their STEM fields to be particularly challenging, what does that make of men not in STEM? Automatic dip sticks? Come on.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
How about sub-categories? For example, how many black Jewish lesbians are they going to hire?

Old 02-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You can't say "women bring things that men don't". That's also just a form
Of discrimination and generalizing

No surprise I remember seeing liberals saying things like that to explain why we should elect Hillary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
GE is about to be toast.

They're trying to do the right thing, but capitalism doesn't care about the "right thing." While there trying to find qualified female employees the competition is going to hire the best candidates regardless of race or gender. Unless they do the same, they're going to get crushed by the competition.

It's unfortunate....
This metaphor does a far better job of describing the benefits of a more diverse team than I ever could.
A solution to tech's lingering diversity problem? Try thinking about ketchup - LA Times

Hiring with a broader lens isn't "lowering the bar" it is building a new muscle for problem solving that comes with different perspectives. If everyone has the same experience, you can miss high opportunities.

Look at a company like TaskRabbit - which was founded by a woman. She aimed to solve a really simple problem. She was about to go off to do something else and realized she didn't have time to do her personal chore - buying dog food at the store. Women generally are most responsible for these household tasks, in addition to their professional jobs, so it makes sense it would be a female-led idea. The company is in 19 markets right now, and while it may not be popular where you live, it is super popular here!

Leah Busque explains the origins of TaskRabbit - by - The San Francisco Examiner

Thinx could not find funding because the mostly male investors didn't think there was a market for period specific underwear, even though over 50% of the population is female, and they spend 30+ years of their lives with a monthly period.

So adding more seats to the table helps companies uncover new opportunities. And while GE has their hands in everything, they don't want to run our of steam.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
So GE is admitting they plan to discriminate in hiring based on gender.....

I hope men sue 'em for unfair hiring practices. Federal, state, and even local laws prohibit employers from making job decisions based on protected characteristics such as race, sex, disability, religion, and so on. If an employer decides not to hire someone for one of these reasons, the applicant may have a discrimination claim.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:45 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
So GE is admitting they plan to discriminate in hiring based on gender.....

I hope men sue 'em for unfair hiring practices. Federal, state, and even local laws prohibit employers from making job decisions based on protected characteristics such as race, sex, disability, religion, and so on. If an employer decides not to hire someone for one of these reasons, the applicant may have a discrimination claim.
This is ridiculous. Diversifying a workforce is not discrimination.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How can you even compare hockey with math/physics I wonder?
Hockey doesn't require any particular intellect; basically anyone in good physical shape can play it, and yes, girls/women can make mediocre players as well ( mediocre - because obviously it's a game that requires much more brutal force, speed, aggressiveness and muscles that women usually have,) so what's a big deal?
Of course it's only a matter of "public acceptance" for a time when these games ( and players) of mediocre abilities will take part in "championships," but when it comes to actual "high intellectual abilities," that not too many are born with, it's not just a matter of "encouragement" and "acceptance."
It is the same thing. I'll share a story about middle school. After a few months, my math teacher mad a call to the students about joining the math team. I think this meant finishing a test in a certain time period, but I don't remember the details.

I didn't think about joining the math team. All of the continuing members where boys. I didn't particularly have any interest. My math teacher approached me after class and said, hey you scored in the top 2 of class why aren't you joining the math team - we need you! I asked her what it entailed - weekly meetings for practice and we did 4 or so competitions a year. Oh and the competitions meant field trips. Some were overnight trips. I was sold then.

I continued on with math team through senior year of high school. I was a good math student. I wasn't joined by any other women. There were some good female math students, but they didn't get encouraged to participate in that way. They ended up doing other things.

Most of my fellow math teammates were welcoming and friendly. But as I was graduating, the lower classman that was headed towards captain status was really arrogant, and I could see how it would easily turn other people off. Colleagues matter.

I didn't continue on the STEM path (and that is a whole separate topic...likely because I had no idea what engineers or mathematicians or statisticians did. Our education system does an awful job of making STEM feel fun and practical.)

It doesn't take much to steer women into STEM. Communicating it is an option, and making us feel welcome when we get there is required. A lot of time the lack of a welcoming atmosphere is what causes the turnover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies