Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 10:51 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Is my point really that difficult to understand?

Again, if boys were innately better at maths/science than girls then in one of the top scorning nations of the world girls shouldn't be as good, and better, than boys. These PISA results discredit the innate ability argument at that level at least.

Geesh.
In general, boys do outperform girls in math and science. That's not even disputable. For some populations, that isn't the case. Black American girls outperform Black boys in math and science as well. That doesn't change the average among all boys and girls though. The Finns don't change that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 01:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You didn't do one thing to build this country. You were born, luckily, in American just like me. Our ancestors made the sacrifices. NOT US.

White, European men were the original founders of America. That is a fact. Not in dispute. Now they are reviled by Leftist educators. Wrong. Very wrong.
Again, i never said that i did anything to build this country. I'm just letting you know that whoever did build this country is absolutely no reflection on you. You know...since you're here to lecture us on who you think built this place.

I understand who found this country, but they are just ONE of the many groups who BUILT this country. My ancestors weren't immigrants, nor were they white, but they damn sure helped build this country.

BTW...your birth in this country is just as "lucky" as mine is.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:36 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
GE to Employ 20,000 Women in Bid to End

Good idea or should people stop worrying about how many of a certain race or gender is in a certain field?
Remind me not to use GE products if at all possible.

When you don't hire based on ability and experience, quality goes down.

Anyway, women should stay home and cook for their husbands and children.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Remind me not to use GE products if at all possible.

When you don't hire based on ability and experience, quality goes down.

Anyway, women should stay home and cook for their husbands and children.
Ha. You'd starve to death if that were the case.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 AM

983 posts, read 738,873 times
Bad idea, the fact is there's a reason women aren't interested in STEM fields, with rare exceptions. There may be a few standouts but on the whole women simply just aren't wired to be into such things.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 AM

983 posts, read 738,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The problem is that the best person doesn't get the job. The guy usually gets the job.

They've done this study over and over where they put the exact same resume and a guy's name and a girl's name at the top and the guy gets more offers for higher salary.
Because it's usually men that have any real interest in it. Unlike lots of the men that go into STEM and similar fields how many women do you know spent their childhood creating/building things in their garage or spent lots of time tinkering with electronics and all kinds of similar things?

Old 02-19-2017, 03:12 AM

49 posts, read 53,909 times
Sorry ladies, but this whole idea that men are oh so missing out at some incredible ground breaking innovative technological achievements without women couldn't be further from the truth. Even despite women being "kept down" men managed to go from sticks and stones to the MOON all without the help of women.

And the truth is I guarantee even in a hypothetical female-dominated world where women would have absolutely no excuse to be held back in anyway the vast majority of builders, innovators, creators, those getting into the nitty gritty and details etc. etc. etc. would STILL be men.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:46 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Look at my post # 163.

It explains that "science" is too broad of a meaning, and there are certain areas in "science" where women are doing just fine, along with men. But NOT when it comes specifically to math/physics/mechanics.
Therefore "science" is a deceptive term here, when it comes specifically to those subjects.
I did look at your post and provided a link for you to review. I expected you to look around that link if you wanted detailed information, or perhaps "take the test" yourself ,or look at sample questions. Some of the sample test files open as pdfs so linking them isn't working. Here is a google search for you, which is easier. You can open the first link (PISA take the test) and review what they mean by science. Go to page 189 for a discussion and you can also review the table of contents and sample questions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PISA...ns+and+answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Cassy, you realize that, in defense of your view that there are no essential gender differences with regard to math and science, you have pointed me toward an article reporting that boys outscored girls on the science part of the latest PISA test in every country in the world, with one lone exception (Finland).
Yes, I know that. Again, what I'm saying is rather simple. If boys are innately better than girls they should be innately better across the board. Further, if American boys score better than American girls because they are innately better it makes no sense that American boys do not score better than Fin girls and for that matter girls from several other countries. I don't know how else to say this.

When comparing kids in Finland, a nation that far outpaces the US, what accounts for these differences? That needs to be answered, especially by those of you who are purporting an intellectual gender divide having innate origin. Finland tells us it's not a matter of innate origin, but that something else is going that would explain gender differences.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the expression - "the exception that proves the rule"? And PISA is testing 15-year-olds for ability appropriate to that age. I doubt there is much calculus, or any other "hard" math on that test. Show me a test of college senior level math on which Finnish women outscore Finnish men and I'll be impressed.
The exception to the rule is meaningless here, especially in science. What do you do for work? I'm in pharma and that exception to the rule is going to matter in my industry. That exception could kill someone, impact the efficacy of a therapy, etc. We don't ignore outliers. We explore them and figure out what's going on. I'm sure you do the same.

I also don't think we should consider calculus to be a hard math. At the very least calculus is not the line we should draw in the sand. That's not good for boys or girls imo. It's not a higher a math and higher maths are a more difficult conversation.

We see differences between gender going in both directions internationally. TIMSS more often shows boys outpacing girls, but there are several countries with girls outpacing boys. The trends for girls deviating away from math and science in the US is not about innate ability any more than American boys who deviate away from math and science (compared to other nations) is about innate ability. There is nothing in the data to suggest gender physiology. There is more than enough data that gives indication of social factors, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
In general, boys do outperform girls in math and science. That's not even disputable. For some populations, that isn't the case. Black American girls outperform Black boys in math and science as well. That doesn't change the average among all boys and girls though. The Finns don't change that either.
The point I'm making is NOT that differences do not exist. My argument is that it's not due to innate ability. The gender and race arguments being made here sits on a correlation argument and that's just not good enough given the consequences. And this was exactly my point when I entered this thread. I had to deal with a bunch of baloney when i was coming of age- girls aren't good at this...girls are good at that. I believed my lack of interest in HS was due to not having a natural knack. Maths was too hard.

What did I come to find out? That was a bunch of horse manure. It was more about overcoming fear and a requirement of effort and organizational approach more than anything. There is very little the vast majority of us cannot do or learn with some effort. What sucks as a parent is that I have to raise my girls to navigate around this bias that is very much alive and well. There are people who are going to set limits on their potential because they are girls. I don't know how to get them not to internalize this nonsense. Most girls do.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:51 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That would be a repeat of the many decades women were perfectly good candidates but were turned away simply because they didn't have the right equipment down there.
Yes, no difference!

Old 02-19-2017, 05:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Is my point really that difficult to understand?

Again, if boys were innately better at maths/science than girls then in one of the top scorning nations of the world girls shouldn't be as good, and better, than boys. These PISA results discredit the innate ability argument at that level at least.

Geesh.
Cassy, did you have a chance to take a glance at the questions of this PISA test? It's now 4:58 AM in California, I'm half sleeping, and still I was able to do all the sample questions right.
"Why the speed of meteorites is increasing when they approaching Earth?
"The meteoroid is attracted to the mass of Earth."

Realy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies