Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 03:34 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
nobody says they are incapable of doing it. It is just that they are not interested. And who cares if they are or not? Fields like construction and road maintenance are male dominated as well. Do we need more women in those jobs?
Lack of interest stems from poor upbringing and girls being treated very differently than boys early on. In many ways we are still stuck in the 50's with our child rearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:45 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Lack of interest stems from poor upbringing and girls being treated very differently than boys early on. In many ways we are still stuck in the 50's with our child rearing.

Lol. Well how people parent is really none of your business. I'm sure most parents tell their kids they can do whatever they want. And like I said l, should we also be encouraging girls to
Go into other male dominated jobs like construction or garbage disposal? I say we just leave them alone and let them do whatever they want

Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times
Quote:
liberals ideas of quotas in jobs is dumb. End of story
The approach is a bit more involved than simple quotas. Money is their bottom line and diversifying is typically the best way to go. Pay attention to the link you posted in the OP.

Honestly, my instincts here is there is quite a bit of complaining from low-level IT "unhelpful" desk contractors who are getting the shaft by bad policy that impacts the IT workforce in this country. Under a shadow argument of innate ability of baloney. Clearly they are looking to diversify for good reason, so why not support the progress they seek?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
The approach is a bit more involved than simple quotas. Money is their bottom line and diversifying is typically the best way to go. Pay attention to the link you posted in the OP.

Honestly, my instincts here is there is quite a bit of complaining from low-level IT "unhelpful" desk contractors who are getting the shaft by bad policy that impacts the IT workforce in this country. Under a shadow argument of innate ability of baloney. Clearly they are looking to diversify for good reason, so why not support the progress they seek?

Don't worry I'm sure other companies will be just fine

Old 02-18-2017, 04:03 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
Are the self driving cars not crashing enough?

Old 02-18-2017, 04:06 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times
Quote:
nobody says they are incapable of doing it. It is just that they are not interested. And who cares if they are or not? Fields like construction and road maintenance are male dominated as well. Do we need more women in those jobs?
I care. I'm a woman and scientist in my 40s. The stereotypes, the socialization, all of it matters. I love my job. I love that I'm challenged, that my work matters, that I grow every day from it. I want my daughters to have that opportunity unencumbered by the challenges I faced. Unfortunately, we all don't start with a level playing field. We are all vulnerable to socially accepted/expected gender roles. Girls do better in school in the absence of boys for good reason and that has nothing to do with innate ability. Girls and boys are influenced by these gender expectations. So, as a society we need to be mindful of this so that everyone has opportunity to reach their potential.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I care. I'm a woman and scientist in my 40s. The stereotypes, the socialization, all of it matters. I love my job. I love that I'm challenged, that my work matters, that I grow every day from it. I want my daughters to have that opportunity unencumbered by the challenges I faced. Unfortunately, we all don't start with a level playing field. We are all vulnerable to socially accepted/expected gender roles. Girls to better in school in the absence of boys for good reason and that has nothing to do with innate ability. Girls and boys are influenced by these gender expectations. So, as a society we need to be mindful of this so that everyone has opportunity to reach their potential.

Encourage your own kids then. Nothing else you can do. We don't need any laws or quotas or legs up

Old 02-18-2017, 04:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Friend of ours works as an EMT. She got assigned to a fire house 2 months ago. First thing she heard when she got in from the chief was:

"Just so you know, we don't want you here. We don't believe you can do the job properly and we'll be looking for any reason to get rid of you"

The only reason this was told to her was because she was a female. She has two choices, try and record it, get in all kinds of trouble since this is a 2 party consent state, deal with the fallout of trying to turn in the good old boy. Stay quiet and work her job because there is a 1500 person waiting list to get another.

There are still plenty of men's clubs in society. There is still plenty of discrimination based on sex and race. Just because you haven't seen it or experienced it, doesn't mean others don't suffer from it.

Unfortunately people have small minds and until that changes then attempting to get woman treated equally is a good thing. Exposing girls to something other than princess stories and slumber parties is also a good thing. Heaven forbid we break out of the good old boy mold or 1950's style female parenting.

Woman may never be playing NFL football, however there is no reason what so ever for them to be under represented in science, math, politics etc other than "get your a$$ in the kitchen and make me a pie"
It was wrong for your EMT friend to be treated as she was. Just know that there is wrong on both sides of the gender wars. There are many settings in the medical world when it is all but impossible for a qualified male to get a job. The women that do the hiring are similarly trying to protect the all girls club that they have going. In many school districts it has become very tough for a male teacher to get hired at the Elementary level. There was even a study where the resume for a male elementary school "teacher of the year" type was sent to schools using a female name. He gets called in for interviews. Send the same resume in under a male name and no offer of an interview is forthcoming. Many female Principals don't want male teachers in their schools.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
GE to Employ 20,000 Women in Bid to End

Good idea or should people stop worrying about how many of a certain race or gender is in a certain field?

Bad idea. People should be hired based on the abilities and skill sets they bring to a job. None of their unrelated information be it gender, race, religion, or any other item that is unrelated to their ability to perform the job and safely co-exist with their co-workers should be a consideration.

To arbitrarily assign preference to a gender is no different than saying, we're only going to hire white Christian men over all other applicants. Just like quotas in the workforce, percentages of this <insert protected class here>, are not justifiable nor beneficial to the company or the production it gets from its workers. It is discrimination, plain and simple.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
liberals ideas of quotas in jobs is dumb. End of story
You're saying that because you don't think you'll ever be chosen under a quota system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
While great for women, would you really want to be part of a group that was picked because you're a woman and not your talent?

I work in an incredibly male dominated field as well, but that's changing because more women are going to school. That's the better approach.
I'm sure that the women will get over it really easy after the paycheck comes in.

Hell, white men have been skating for years in jobs that they're too incompetent to hold, and they hardly feel a tinge of guilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
So GE is admitting they plan to discriminate in hiring based on gender.....

I hope men sue 'em for unfair hiring practices. Federal, state, and even local laws prohibit employers from making job decisions based on protected characteristics such as race, sex, disability, religion, and so on. If an employer decides not to hire someone for one of these reasons, the applicant may have a discrimination claim.
There is no lawsuit that would be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies