Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Inaction in a circumstance where you had knowledgeable control , it can be used to imply you intended it to happen. That is, if you allow something to happen when you were in full control and of the knowledge of its occurrence and yet did nothing to stop it, you are essentially responsible for its occurrence.
We don't hold people to those standards in other faucets of life and it doesn't hold up in court.
We know smoking causes cancer yet it is acceptable to get rid of the cancer.
pain meds cause addiction, yet we treat it.
Food causes obesity, yet we accept it.
Certain activities and sports cause injury and death yet we provide insurance to cover them and continue to engage in the same activities.
We know having no job and producing multiple kids puts us in poverty yet we reward it with handouts.
We know marriage can end in divorce and financial crisis, but its not our fault.
We know we can drown, yet we get in the water.
We know we cant fly, yet we get on a plane.
We know hot coffee burns us, yet if we spill it on ourselves its not our fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Basically, here is the argument: Since, by causing an embryo to exist, you created a need where there was no need before. Specifically, before coming into existence, the embryo had no needs; however, now, as a result of coming into existence, it needs to use your body to survive (and for nourishment). Thus, you should be forced to take responsibility for your actions by helping the embryo out--specifically by letting this embryo continue to use your body in order to survive and to acquire nourishment.

How exactly would you respond to this pro-life argument? Basically, while I myself previously looked at both abortion and child support from the perspective of tort law (indeed, I still consider child support to be government-sanctioned swindling if there was a prior agreement *not* to seek child support), I have to admit that that I didn't place as much emphasis on the *need* aspect of the equation before.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
Who provided the sperm in this equation? What's that dude's responsibility?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
At a point between conception and delivery, it's a human.
Says who?
Fundamentalist Religious libertarians that's a new one.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Says who?
Fundamentalist Religious libertarians that's a new one.
Science as well as common sense observation.

Let's assume the 32 week preemie grandson in the NICU of the other poster is an actual human baby.

Now, if that human hadn't been premature, what changes is location. Instead of being within the NICU room, that human baby would still be in the womb. The biology remains the same.

So, is it your belief that preemie isn't human or that the location change negates it?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Grandson? How could it have been your grandson at that point of development? Are you saying it was human at 32 weeks?
The consensus is that a fetus is viable at 28 weeks. My grandson was living/breathing/functioning outside of the womb, so yes he was a viable human being at that point.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Of course she has the right

Quote:
Nope. A woman has the right to sell her body, ingest whatever she chooses, get a tattoo that says "F the president", commit suicide or even sell her own body parts.

She doesn't have the right to kill her children for an unjust reason, even if that child is a week from delivery.

Your rights only go as far as when they step on the rights of others. So, just as a woman can't walk into the NICU and strangle her preemie because it is a human with rights, neither should she be able to kill the identically same, biologically speaking, baby inside her womb.

There is a point between conception and delivery where that blob of cells becomes a person.
Yah. Judaism & Christianity used to count quickening of the fetus as its being alive. & too, the US judiciary found that Native Peoples, slaves (especially Black slaves), women, foreigners, minors, people with medical CNS problems or injuries, Gypsies, Jews, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican & other Latin American nationals - in short a whole slew of people had no rights to justice in the courts @ all. Black slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person for purposes of apportioning representation in the US House of Representatives. This has all changed, the result of hard-fought legal, political & moral fights for due consideration of persons, regardless of race, creed, gender & etc.

As far as Roe v. Wade, the judiciary held that the fetus is not a person, in the legal sense of the word. & therefore the fetus is not a child - as I understand it, the court implies that a child has to be born or @ least delivered in order to be considered a child.

Therefore this pro-life argument falls apart, in weighing who has priority in choosing between the woman & the fetus. A woman may choose to risk her own life in order to bring the fetus to term - that is her choice. Abortion is an ugly choice, I would rather see unwanted children put up for adoption - but the woman has the right to choose, under Roe, @ least in the first trimester.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The DOB on my government issued ID puts it at my delivery. Anybody else have a state issued ID that claims your conception as your DOB?
So if your government says it's true then it's gospel.
You're in for an interesting next 4 years.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
In Rome (the nation, not the city) it was acceptable and not uncommon to throw out unwanted newborn babies. That is a good illustration of the arbitrariness of our definitions of life and viability. The only thing that matters is what the law says. So whatever the law decides I am fine with. In the final analysis it is law that defines morality.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The consensus is that a fetus is viable at 28 weeks. My grandson was living/breathing/functioning outside of the womb, so yes he was a viable human being at that point.
Let's say at the moment your grandson was placed in that NICU he was still in the womb instead, what are all the biological differences?

I understand the location is different, womb instead of NICU, but what are the biological differences?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
We don't hold people to those standards in other faucets of life and it doesn't hold up in court.
We know smoking causes cancer yet it is acceptable to get rid of the cancer.
pain meds cause addiction, yet we treat it.
Food causes obesity, yet we accept it.
Certain activities and sports cause injury and death yet we provide insurance to cover them and continue to engage in the same activities.
We know having no job and producing multiple kids puts us in poverty yet we reward it with handouts.
We know marriage can end in divorce and financial crisis, but its not our fault.
We know we can drown, yet we get in the water.
We know we cant fly, yet we get on a plane.
We know hot coffee burns us, yet if we spill it on ourselves its not our fault.

This. And an unwanted pregnancy can feel exactly like a cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies