Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What's happening to America?

We are dividing along tribal lines, as we have been since the 1960s.

And those different tribal lines have different political ideologies also so it divides us even more. Our country is fracturing more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
As of 2012, the population of immigrants in the United States illegally is estimated to be approximately 11.43 million, roughly 3.7% of the entire US population. 59% of the immigrants in the country illegally are from Mexico, and 25% of all immigrants in the country illegally reside in California. 53% of the immigrants in the United States illegally are male. In 2008, approximately 31% of workers in the roofing industry and 27% of maids/housekeepers were immigrants living in the country illegally.

http://immigration.procon.org/view.r...ourceID=000845

There give or take is the essence of our problem, the menace, Trump and his supporters are galvanized to address no matter the wall, no matter the cost. Something like calling for a cannon to shoot a fly, or our own foot if want our roofs fixed and houses cleaned...

Again, I'm all for making this labor pool legal, in accordance to what TRUE economic pros and cons these workers represent to our economy, according what immigration policy is deemed best, but 3.7% doing minimum wage labor does NOT represent the problem or panacea that Trump and his supporters seem to think will go away or be solved the way they think. Especially not if the focus is on chasing and insulting these people rather than the Americans who employ them.

Why doesn't that happen? I think for obvious reasons...

Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What's happening to America?

We are dividing along tribal lines, as we have been since the 1960s.
One answer or explanation I thought worth considering...

Has the U.S. motto become ‘In Nothing We Trust’?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And those different tribal lines have different political ideologies also so it divides us even more. Our country is fracturing more and more.
Correct.

Which means that there is no agreement on moral "right and wrong", which means that raw power is the only thing that matters now.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

I will remember that the next time I apply for a job.
"I think you should hire me" Doesn't matter it's a done deal get over it. Why should I bother even trying to convince the employer? Actually why not take it a step further why even bother trying to apply for a job for at all since they're never going to listen to me? They don't care about what I think or what I feel. They've already made up their mind as soon as I asked if they're hiring.

Mhmm I'm sure you're reading this like "you're being really stupid"

Btw wow. The next time someone tells me I'm being really hard on myself I'll show them your post and say "at least I'm not as negative as this person...
Your right. That's pretty well what I was thinking when a read your reply, except you can add "I have no idea what your babbling about." to it, in regard to what I said.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, there are Legal immigrants and ILLEGALS. The Irish usually came in through Ellis Island LEGALLY. It's sad how they were treated. They deserved better. They obeyed our immigration laws for the most part. Maybe a few stowawys but the vast majority were LEGALS.
OTOH, currently, many Irish come to visit and just like Canadians they overstay their visas and don't go home.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As for your comments about immigrants, are you referring to legal or illegal immigrants? You don't say, and I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but when it comes to most people who seem to think as you do, they don't like immigrants in general, legal or illegal. They tend to be less vocal about legal immigrants, because they don't want their true xenophobic sentiments exposed.

I'll assume the best, but be honest, and maybe I'll try and fix the rest of your comment in the way that needs fixing if we are to be fair about how to address the issue of immigration in this country in an intelligent manner. I might be able to help, since I owned an employment agency and dealt very directly with the issue of hiring thousands of Hispanics (immigrants) who were legal to work in this country while screening for those who were not.
I don't have a problem with legal Immigrants. I am one. I do have a problem for Illegals who want to break our Laws as their first act in coming here. I also have a problem with Muslims being imported here under any circumstance. Their Religion does not mix with Western Values, and most everything we do in normal life is a sin to them. We do not share their values under Sharia Law, and they do not share our values in our Laws. Was can see whats going on in Europe, and you can't white wash that and call it something else, other than what it is, which is an Invasion by Hostile forces. We are not immune to this. We don't see it as much yet, because we don't have as many as them yet, as other Countries do. We will end up just like Europe or worse, if we ignore what lies at the end of this path of Tolerance for Muslims Religion. The Liberals are preaching Tolerance toward Muslims, while the Muslims are teaching their children to kill Infidels. Not all Muslims are Terrorists Killers, but most Terrorist Killers are Muslim. Liberals need to think about what they are asking, when they want open Borders to Muslims and others, with little checks or balances. They need to think about what their children will be able to do against Sharia Law in their Cities, when the Muslims outnumber the Americans there, as they do in many places today in Europe.

If that's distasteful and sounds like Racism, so be it. Its being realistic. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty and all Roses.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Ignorant post. All I can say to this one, and good inspiration to call it a day!
Truth hurt? The Country divided itself most under the Obama watch, so he has to carry the blame for this one. And he has done nothing to stop it or try and fix it. In fact he is still stirring the boiling pot, along with his co-Defendant Hillary and her Coven.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
OTOH, currently, many Irish come to visit and just like Canadians they overstay their visas and don't go home.

So? They need to be deported just as any other illegal alien should be.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
As of 2012, the population of immigrants in the United States illegally is estimated to be approximately 11.43 million, roughly 3.7% of the entire US population. 59% of the immigrants in the country illegally are from Mexico, and 25% of all immigrants in the country illegally reside in California. 53% of the immigrants in the United States illegally are male. In 2008, approximately 31% of workers in the roofing industry and 27% of maids/housekeepers were immigrants living in the country illegally.

BS....There are more than that, and they hold Jobs that Americans would have in many, many, more positions that what low level paying jobs you quote are. I don't need a "Poll" or some "Liberal Fake" Report thats smoke and mirrors. All I need to do is look around me in my own area and you can see who works where. You can't spin that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies