Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:56 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
2 million have healthcare they never had because of it. It sounds like your healthcare plan wasn't good to begin with. How much was your deductible. How much were your prescriptions. What would you pay going to the er. What does your current plan cover that your previous plan didn't. So many factors enter into this.

I said it was my moms. I don't know all of those factors, just that it went up a 1000 dollars. If you were you so worried about all of those people wanting to have insurance were you paying extra for them before OC went into effect?

I do know that nothing of my moms changed accept the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Let's face it the great majority of us do have access to affordable healthcare. I have a heart condition and the wife is a diabetic. My BCBS policy costs 160 bucks every two weeks taken out of my pay. A damn good policy. It was a bit better before Obama stuck his nose in things.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
A lot of working people can't afford it...Of course poor people like it they're either on Medicaid or their monthly payment is only like 40 bucks a month due to only making 20k a year or something. Meanwhile they have a 900 dollar cell phone and an over 100 dollar a month cell phone payment, then they waddle into Wal-Mart to buy their cigarettes and snack cakes. What a crock.

The system relies on healthy people signing up for it and not using it, and funding it.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 04-01-2017 at 11:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 11:26 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I said it was my moms. I don't know all of those factors, just that it went up a 1000 dollars. If you were you so worried about all of those people wanting to have insurance were you paying extra for them before OC went into effect?

I do know that nothing of my moms changed accept the price.
Well maybe you should know before you speak. Do you know how insurance works. And I'm not even talking about the ACA. The ones who have health insurance have always paid for those who don't. Doctors and hospitals don't do it out of the goodness of their heart. But they have to make up the money somewhere so that is us.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Well maybe you should know before you speak. Do you know how insurance works. And I'm not even talking about the ACA. The ones who have health insurance have always paid for those who don't. Doctors and hospitals don't do it out of the goodness of their heart. But they have to make up the money somewhere so that is us.

So no changes in anything should equal three times the payment?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:37 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
So everyones insurance went up after OC, but it shouldn't have. And the reason it did go up is because of the insurance companies?
It went up because young, healthy people did not sign up because it was cheaper to pay the fine than the premiums. Because they did not sign up, they were not paying premiums. Therefore, the risk pool was much smaller and disproportionately insured those who were less healthy. The insurance companies were spending a lot more money than anticipated because of this sickly risk pool. Therefore, the premiums increased for all who carried health insurance.

The only way insurance works is if it is mandatory for everyone. Loss rates are what determine insurance premiums whether it be homeowners, auto, life. A risk pool that covers all spreads the risk and lowers premiums.

This is why we need a universal health system financed either by a VAT and/or payroll taxes.

EVERYONE is enrolled. A VAT might work better because there are many who do not work - but everyone spends money. I haven't thought the VAT concept through, but throw it out there as one option. Those who want more luxuries in their health care can purchase supplemental policies for that. Other countries operate this way. The US is an anomaly - and citizens of other countries elsewhere are laughing at us. None prefer our system to theirs. Many posts to that effect on this board.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It went up because young, healthy people did not sign up becaue it was cheaper to pay the fine than the premiums. Because they did not sign up, they were not paying premiums. Therefore, the risk pool was much smaller and disproportionately insured those who were less healthy. Therefore, the premiums increased for the smaller, more expensive pool.

The only way insurance works is if it is mandatory for everyone. Loss rates are what determine insurance premiums whether it be homeowners, auto, life. A risk pool that covers all spreads the risk and lowers premiums.

This is why we need a universal health system financed either by a VAT and/or payroll taxes.

EVERYONE is enrolled. A VAT might work better because there are many who do not work - by everyone spends money. I haven't thought the VAT concept through, but throw it out there as one option.

Then how did it work for people who had insurance when everyone didn't have insurance?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Insurance, in the absence of government intervention, does not force persons with low risk factors to subsidize those with high risk factors. Nor are the poor subsidized. Nor do people who do not insure have to pay higher taxes because of their decision.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:43 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
So no changes in anything should equal three times the payment?
You said you didn't know any of the factors. So how do you know what changes were made. What was her co pay....her deductible. What did her policy cover. If you don't know then we can't have an informed discussion. I can only speculate which I really don't want to do.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:44 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Insurance, in the absence of government intervention, does not force persons with low risk factors to subsidize those with high risk factors. Nor are the poor subsidized. Nor do people who do not insure have to pay higher taxes because of their decision.
amen. That is how it should operate, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies