Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I repped and totally agree with your first post but the second one is very different. I dont care about prop 8 and social issues like gay marriage, I think its a very trivial issue that effects very few people but I deeply care about border security and illegal immigration

Illegal immigration costs this country an astronomical figure each year and drastically transforms the places where it happens. Alot of people that voted for trump were nationalist, populist and america first people, not conservatives. Many people, myself included, dont like conservatives like we dont like liberals.

Conservatives really dont care about illegal and massive immigration, outsourcing of jobs, globalism etc. , that has been pretty obvious since 1980
"Conservatives" should read Republican politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Right but just remember and please inform them that it's the Democrats and anti-Trump people that are against this reform.

The US does not have a fair immigration system it leaves out a lot of people in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I know British university-educated citizens, most who have earned Master's degrees who would like the opportunity to live and work in the US, yet there is almost no route for them outside of marrying an American. These are people who speak English, from a nation with which the US shares a common history, from whom were derive our laws and share much of our culture with one another.

The US immigration system is broken beyond belief.
Oh absolutely...just for starters the lottery system needs totally revamped it's a joke.

The current immigration system is completely broken in general. You've got corporations screwing it up, illegal immigration screwing it up, politicians screwing it up. Broken is probably an understatement.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
I know British university-educated citizens, most who have earned Master's degrees who would like the opportunity to live and work in the US, yet there is almost no route for them outside of marrying an American. These are people who speak English, from a nation with which the US shares a common history, from whom were derive our laws and share much of our culture with one another.

They can get a job on "The Walking Dead".

Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Right but just remember and please inform them that it's the Democrats and anti-Trump people that are against this reform.

The US does not have a fair immigration system it leaves out a lot of people in the world.
The US immigration system is insanely biased in favor of third-worlders and against people from cultured, civilized nations.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I think this is a myth that keeps perpetuating among conservatives. Poor immigrants and their descendants may be dependent on the system, but they are also very religious and insanely conservative. Don't forget that prop 8 passed in the most liberal state in the country with 60%+ of hispanics and up to 70% blacks voting for it.
Myth? Why else the Democrats care about the illegal immigrants if they aren't expected to vote for them? Yet, you and I have to wait 10-20 years to immigrate legally, but if you are a illegal, come right in and here's a free US citizenship.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The US immigration system is insanely biased in favor of third-worlders and against people from cultured, civilized nations.
Pretty much. Politically I am a moderate, but I do see the value in allowing our immigration system to reinforce the best of us, be it in science and technology and historically and culturally..

I'm not against allowing immigration of people from developing countries but at this point that is overwhelmingly who we allow into the US now. Yet, the French, British, Irish, Danes has a far more difficult route when these are the people who are most likely to have the ability to contribute, assimilate, etc.

This country is losing its links with its history and culture, and I find that very concerning.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have asked this question before but never seemed to ever gotten any clear answer. So, let's discuss this topic.

I will start by telling about my own family. We are an immigrant family. Both my parents were professors in our home country before the communists took over. They applied to come to the US legally as political refugees. The wait was long. And by long, I mean they applied before I was born and we finally got the clear when I was 10. So, we literally waited in line for 10 years to come over here.

I have 4 siblings. Between us, we have an electrical engineer, a civil engineer, a structural engineer, a software engineer, and a mathematician.

Think about it for a second. My family is obviously qualified to contribute to the American economy and society. And yet, we were made to wait in line for 10 years. Think of all the talents that never got through because of the ridiculously long wait due to the bureaucracy.

We live here now and we consider ourselves Americans. All my nephews and nieces were born here and they consider themselves completely American. We want to see this country succeed just as much as any other true American.

To me, while we as a country argue back and forth about illegal immigration, I think we are losing site of the fact that whoever that immigrates to this country we would want them to contribute in a positive way. Yes? I know it is not politically correct for me to say this, but not all immigrants should be treated equally. Some will carry their own weight while some will just be a drain on the system.

So, what is wrong with merit based immigration system?
Last weekend we found out that we were told had happened at Ellis Island for my grand father and his brothers, sisters and parents, wasn't correct. They were not send back due to an illness but the American government labeled them as a liability due to "hernia" mentioned on their records and two of them (out of family of 7) being hospitalized for a short time frame and than labeled a "charge" to the US and "deported" was stamped on their records.

It was strange to see the ship records showing their names and info and knowing that some of them died in the gas chambers of Auswitz including my grand father.

Having seen that, we still haven't changed our opinion that the US should only allow people who really are at danger in their own country or even in that case these people should be send to safe zones near their country of origin.

We had a very long road to be able to get permanent status as for a long time we had visa's and all the rules you have to follow even if you have a 5 year visa. Travel costs, visa cost, lawyers fees, etc.

We have spoken with American citizens and Australian citizens who rented our home in Europe and it seems that immigration is very strict over there as well and not easy.

I never heard of low skilled workers other than how the Turkeys and Moroccan workers came to the Netherlands in the early 70's to conduct cleaning jobs. Of course there are the seasonal workers for the farmers that often are foreigners but not permanent workers that are allowed to stay. Now the borders are open it is a little bit different but that is also the cause of many issues of there. The remaining are mostly illegal aliens.

If a country allows low skilled workers in that are competing with the local workers and often will end up on disability due to the hard labor that is harder on their bodies, than it is logical that the government has to increase taxes all the time to sustain the cost of health care, unemployment, welfare and other government programs.

Merit based is the right of a country to choose the best to let in and stay and assimilate.

I'm so proud to be here and wish I could tell my grand father that even though he was unsuccessful, we made it!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Last weekend we found out that we were told had happened at Ellis Island for my grand father and his brothers, sisters and parents, wasn't correct. They were not send back due to an illness but the American government labeled them as a liability due to "hernia" mentioned on their records and two of them (out of family of 7) being hospitalized for a short time frame and than labeled a "charge" to the US and "deported" was stamped on their records.

It was strange to see the ship records showing their names and info and knowing that some of them died in the gas chambers of Auswitz including my grand father.

Having seen that, we still haven't changed our opinion that the US should only allow people who really are at danger in their own country or even in that case these people should be send to safe zones near their country of origin.

We had a very long road to be able to get permanent status as for a long time we had visa's and all the rules you have to follow even if you have a 5 year visa. Travel costs, visa cost, lawyers fees, etc.

We have spoken with American citizens and Australian citizens who rented our home in Europe and it seems that immigration is very strict over there as well and not easy.

I never heard of low skilled workers other than how the Turkeys and Moroccan workers came to the Netherlands in the early 70's to conduct cleaning jobs. Of course there are the seasonal workers for the farmers that often are foreigners but not permanent workers that are allowed to stay. Now the borders are open it is a little bit different but that is also the cause of many issues of there. The remaining are mostly illegal aliens.

If a country allows low skilled workers in that are competing with the local workers and often will end up on disability due to the hard labor that is harder on their bodies, than it is logical that the government has to increase taxes all the time to sustain the cost of health care, unemployment, welfare and other government programs.

Merit based is the right of a country to choose the best to let in and stay and assimilate.

I'm so proud to be here and wish I could tell my grand father that even though he was unsuccessful, we made it!

You do know those who are truly in danger would not be able to get out of their countries right? Think about those Syrian refugees. Do you really think those who can't even read would be able to get out and know how to apply for asylum?

Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
They are less likely to vote democrat.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Myth? Why else the Democrats care about the illegal immigrants if they aren't expected to vote for them? Yet, you and I have to wait 10-20 years to immigrate legally, but if you are a illegal, come right in and here's a free US citizenship.
Some dems fall for this myth as well.

Low skilled immigrants tend to be religious and superstitious. This makes them very conservative. They always vote for the conservative party. So, allowing illegal immigrants to stay actually benefit the GOP. Prop 8 was the perfect example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies