Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Well, you were right, pro-vax, anti-vax is obviously a polarized issue. The puzzling thing to me is why, why when people who don't vaccinate pose such a tiny threat to the health of others.

I think the only logical conclusion I can make is money. That would be my guess. Pharma must need some guarantee to make money off of vaccines. Nothing else makes sense to me.

There is very little to fear from those who don't vaccinate. People vaccinate to protect against it, they should just trust they made the right decision for themselves and trust their vaccine. No reason to hunt down the anti vax. Such small numbers, such a small threat to public health.

I would feel this way whether I agreed or didn't agree with vaccine effectiveness. The numbers just aren't there to justify the assault.
Actually, said people are a big threat to many others. Virtually every recent measles outbreak in the US has occurred because someone brought measles in from abroad. This is usually an unvaccinated AMERICAN who has been traveling. This person gets measles then exposes many others. We don't know who "Patient Zero" was at Disneyland, but we do know that's exactly what happened in the Ohio Amish outbreak, and many other outbreaks. Most of the people who get measles are also unvaccinated. Most of the DEATHS in the recent Romanian outbreak are of unvaccinated kids, some too young to have been vaccinated, but they caught measles from someone who should have been vaccinated. Most of the cases have been unvaccinated as well. I believe the death toll is up to 20 now. And measles is "the gift that keeps on giving". Years later, one can get a serious brain infection from it, SSPE, and die.
https://www.verywell.com/measles-outbreaks-p2-2633796

And lookit this: https://www.verywell.com/costs-of-a-...tbreak-2633850
It costs a lot of taxpayer money, your money and mine, to contain a measles outbreak.
"For example, it cost:
as much as $200,000 to contain an outbreak in Clallam County, Washington - high rates of unvaccinated school children in area schools likely complicated the work of containing the outbreak and the high cost
$130,000 to contain a 2011 measles outbreak in Utah
$24,569 to contain a 2010 measles outbreak in Kentucky
$800,000 to contain a measles outbreak at two hospitals in Arizona
$176,980 to contain a 2008 measles outbreak in California
$167,685 to contain a 2005 measles outbreak in Indiana - unvaccinated 17-year-old catches measles on church mission trip to Romania, leading to 34 people getting sick, including an under-vaccinated hospital worker who ends up on a ventilator for 6 days
$181,679 (state and local health department costs) to contain a 2004 measles outbreak in Iowa triggered by a unvaccinated college student's trip to India

The 2013 Texas outbreak cost $50,758.93 to contain. With 16 cases of measles in that outbreak, that comes to about $3,100 for each case of measles.

The two pertussis epidemics (and that, like "fraud" is a very specific term) in California killed a number of babies. Finally after a lot of tippy-toeing around, it was finally acknowledged it was failure to vaccinate, not vaccine failure, that caused them.
Vaccine Refusals Fueled California's Whooping Cough Epidemic : Shots - Health News : NPR

The "Pharma Shill" gambit again.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You do realize that you responded to a post about Suzanne Humphries with a derogatory quote about an entirely different person, Sherri Tennpenny?
Oops! Just saw this. OK, here's what they say about Suzanne Humphries (My allowable three sentences):
"She has been involved with the International Medical Council on Vaccination, a front group for anti-vaccinationism, and has written several blog posts and done several podcasts and interviews (e.g. for NaturalNews) insinuating that kidney failure is caused by vaccines. The fact that she is a medical doctor does not mean that she know how science or evidence works, however, and – as expected – her evidence is purely anecdotal; in fact, her reasoning is entirely based on “feeling” the vaccines’s role in kidney disease, which just goes to display in full her complete lack of training in, expertise or understanding of any relevant field of immunology. You see, not only are vaccines unnatural, they are “disease matter”, which, I suppose, is a compelling point for anyone who swears by the laws of medieval alchemy."

Well, at least I outed Tenpenney, too! She's another one.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
It is simple:
Unvaccinated people are a danger to the population that rises exponentially with their proportional representation in a population.

People who evangelize anti-vax sentiment should be opposed in the marketplace of ideas because they are promoting false psuedoscience that is both dangerous for the individuals who are fooled and dangerous for the population as a whole, increasing with the % of the population that are bamboozled into believing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies