Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times

Advertisements

Young men are starting to realize that marriage and especially the family courts cripple their finances and women have felt for a long time that it cramps their style and stifles their sexual freedom. The efforts to diminish the nuclear family unit which was proving to be too economically independent to be effectively manipulated and exploited are coming to fruition.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 AM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Does this mean that millennials are a bunch of spoiled brats!!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lling-marriage
This means millennials are doing what has been done over the past 45 years. Marriage rates have been dropping and divorce rates have been on the rise since the 70s. Why single out millennials?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This means millennials are doing what has been done over the past 45 years. Marriage rates have been dropping and divorce rates have been on the rise since the 70s. Why single out millennials?
Just to bait people.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I myself have far better things to do than get into a committed relationship, and I am not a part of the hookup culture. Nothing cool or appealing about sleeping around-diseases, kids I'm not ready for...

Plus when statistics show most new marriages fail within 5 years, I'm in no hurry to "settle down"

Dating scene is like this, too many insecure, unsure of what they want, wanting the significant other to change, unfaithful, throw in kids from previous relationships, very promiscuous past that they aren't ashamed of, the "prince" and "princess" outlook on life...

Boy theres alot of quality people to meet...

Modern women-I want a man whos college educated, has a good job owns a house, a new car, no bills, doesn't drink in excess. What does she offer-kids from a previous relationship, debt, drama, and if it weren't for a microwave, couldn't cook.
Modern men, I want a girl whos drop dead gorgeous, cooks cleans wife material...
You really sound like someone who doesn't get out much, seriously. Everytime I've heard this, it's from someone who's an introvert

Old 04-05-2017, 06:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,985,108 times
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Different generations have different approaches to life. I view delaying marriage and childbearing in pursuit of better jobs and more education as a good thing, not a bad thing, especially since wages have been stagnant for decades while living expenses have increased.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,970,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The millennials have been handed a colossal mess from the baby boomers. 20 Trillion dollars in debt. A consumer-based, healthcare economy.

The future looks bleak for much more reasons than simply a break down of the family unit. Remember Hillary Clinton, who is a baby boomer was advocate for same sex marriage, feminist rights, etc..

This is not due to the millennials, who many are struggling living with their parents because they have no other choice in this economy that wants to pay $12 for skilled workers.

Hardly enough to support a family on.
How does the national debt (which isn't $20 tril BTW) either a mess or effect decisions to get married? The baby boomers inherited the World War II debt, which at the time was 120% of GDP -- bigger than today's debt. Yet, they prospered and we all survived.

The traditional "family unit" of a married mommy and daddy with children, has no meaning to the success of society. I have friends who never married, live together and have children. They are as functional as any married couple that I know. Most couples in Europe don't marry and don't see a need to marry.

Somehow, you think that same sex marriage and feminist rights are an affront to civilized society when they are really proof of the progress society has made. We used to force gays to hide in the shadows. Now, they can openly marry. What's wrong with "feminist rights?" Aren't women entitled to rights?

Your last paragraph has merit. Income inequality is a major problem in America. When the imbalance distribution of national wealth is concentrated in a sliver at the top, it forces wages down and stifles the young from being able to afford the same as the baby-boom generation that lived in an era of shared wealth and opportunity.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
At the risk of offending some of our military families, I have noticed that many of the very young couples -- married by 20, with three kids by 25 -- are the families where the husband joined the military right from high school.

Is this more of a cultural thing? Or is it because those young couples have a little more financial stability at that time then say a young 20 something still in university or working in the private sector?

These young couples and young families do well enough and are happy -- so I'm not criticizing their choice to be married so young or have their families young......just curious.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 AM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
I worked for a middle aged couple with two young sons back in the 60's who owned their own business. They had been together for 20 years, weren't married, but still called themselves husband and wife. "We don't need a piece of paper from the government or a church."

Back in those days this was referred to as a Common Law Marriage, which today majority of states do not recognize. If a couple had lived together for a many years,had children, held themselves out as husband and wife, owned property/business together, etc. they were married under the law and entitled to all the legal benefits as a married couple.

Millennials haven't invented anything new.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 AM

20,165 posts, read 9,069,121 times
Quickest way to the poor house is a broken marriage and child support.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
At the risk of offending some of our military families, I have noticed that many of the very young couples -- married by 20, with three kids by 25 -- are the families where the husband joined the military right from high school.

Is this more of a cultural thing? Or is it because those young couples have a little more financial stability at that time then say a young 20 something still in university or working in the private sector?

These young couples and young families do well enough are happy -- so I'm not criticizing their choice to be married so young or have their families young......just curious.
Nah. Where I live it's very blue collar and Trump country, and people here have kids before they are 25, married or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies