Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM

80 posts, read 112,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Everywhere I've been between upstate NY western MA CT and here in Florida proves otherwise...
Have you ever lived in a big city? I find it really hard to believe that majority of women between ages 26-32 are all single mothers with 2-3 kids, if that were so then we wouldn't be having a steep decline in birth rates. Every data on this subject has come to the conclusion that milennial women have the least amount of children of any other generation. I am going just guess that you live a premidiately blue collar town or small city because I find it hard to believe that any man can't find a plethora of childless non divorced woman in their twenties or early thirties in a large city.

Last edited by LisaMesa; 04-05-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,255,779 times
and for those that "career" is everything wind up alone in nursing homes because they have no one. Only their career that ended with retirement. See it with baby boomers and in-laws who can't be bothered with relationships and family. Their whole world is work and career. sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe... and maybe not.

Some people aren't as driven to be in a regular, everyday relationship.

I know quite a few people who are happy dating and having relationships come and go while maintaining close ties with friends of similar mindsets. They do holidays and so forth together and are quite happy with their lives.

These people are in their 30s and 40s, btw. So, yeah... maybe they'll change their minds when they are older, but if they do, they can get married then.

As for having kids so you won't be alone, what guarantee is there of that? Kids can ditch you in your old age if they want.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:07 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Everywhere I've been between upstate NY western MA CT and here in Florida proves otherwise...
Yeah, never mind those "facts" and "statistics".

Old 04-05-2017, 11:10 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and for those that "career" is everything wind up alone in nursing homes because they have no one. Only their career that ended with retirement. See it with baby boomers and in-laws who can't be bothered with relationships and family. Their whole world is work and career. sad.
How can you afford kids to take care of you in a nursing home if you don't have a career? Moreover, how will you even afford retirement needs (nursing or at-home care, medical care, etc) if you don't have a career? Social security may still be around when Millennial are old, but I'm not banking on it.

I don't want to burden my own kids with a retirement I never adequately saved for the way my parents and my boyfriend's Boomer parents are doing to us now.

Last edited by charolastra00; 04-05-2017 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,442 times
I am a single woman with no goal to get married. My boyfriend is a divorced dad with the same "non goal." What's wrong with that? I thought this was a free country. Suddenly it isn't?

I wanted to address a few myths people are vomiting out in this thread though. Just because disinformation bugs me. I am just going to list one source for each thing, but you can google and find more if you are interested.

#1) The divorce rate isn't 50%... in fact it's at a 40 year low and it's been dropping since its peak in the 1970s. Divorce Rate in U.S. Drops to Nearly 40-Year Low | Time.com

#2) Most women under 32 do not have multiple kids. Birth rates for women under 30 are at an all time low. Over half the births in the US are from women over 35 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_12.pdf

#3) Millienals are not lazy slackers. "There's also no sign that young people today are lazier than three decades ago. In 1980, 74 percent of baby boomers reported that they had worked in the past week, the Census data show. In 2015, slightly more millennials, 77 percent, said they'd been to work in the past week. " (From the very article we are all commenting on now).

Last edited by BellaLind; 04-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-05-2017, 11:13 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's just it. Not everyone defines personal success the same way.
or happiness....

Old 04-05-2017, 11:25 AM

80 posts, read 112,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I am a single woman with no goal to get married. My boyfriend is a divorced dad with the same "non goal." What's wrong with that? I thought this was a free country. Suddenly it isn't?

I wanted to address a few myths people are vomiting out in this thread though. Just because disinformation bugs me. I am just going to list one source for each thing, but you can google and find more if you are interested.

#1) The divorce rate isn't 50%... in fact it's at a 40 year low and it's been dropping since its peak in the 1970s. Divorce Rate in U.S. Drops to Nearly 40-Year Low | Time.com

#2) Most women under 32 do not have multiple kids. Birth rates for women under 30 are at an all time low. Over half the births in the US are from women over 35 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_12.pdf

#3) Millienals are not lazy slackers. "There's also no sign that young people today are lazier than three decades ago. In 1980, 74 percent of baby boomers reported that they had worked in the past week, the Census data show. In 2015, slightly more millennials, 77 percent, said they'd been to work in the past week. " (From the very article we are all commenting on now).

Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Nope. I put blame on feminism for the decline of marriage. First thing is first. Marriage can ruin a man. CHild support, alimony. For some guys its not worth it. Than you have women who have these college degrees. Whats the points of getting married to an highly educated woman who has a boat load of debt? Than you have women who have already made families? Whats the point if your are a single guy and already marrying into an ready made family? Trump is changing tax laws, and such laws may force people to marry.
I remember a time years ago, when people got divorced and lived together due to tax laws....

Old 04-05-2017, 11:58 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I could give a lot of explanations for why many young people are delaying marriage, and, in many cases, home ownership, but I'm not going to right now. You've probably heard them, anyway.

I will only say this: In the 1960's, older people thought the sky was falling because of what the Baby Boomers were up to. It wasn't. All of this Millennial-bashing is getting really tiresome.
I agree. It has very little to do with "millenials". The generation distinctions are silly to start with, as every year about the same number of people are born.

What is has to do with with is the gradual and continuous destruction of the American family and the American community which has been going on for 50 years. The culture has become more materialistic and more self absorbed and it has been constantly degrading for a long time. Values have changed, that's all. We are far more oriented around the need for immediate gratification than we were a half century ago. Marriage is just one of the things we tossed in the ditch.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:04 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'd suggest talking to someone about your feelings about marriage and commitment. (I'm not being a jerk).
Considering the divorce rate and many stories about people being raked of their savings and the hurt that comes along, I have every reason to be picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies