Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Americans are ENTITLED to COMPETE for jobs. If a company sees that a younger applicant or someone who has better employment history is better for the job, why shouldn't they hire them.
You can't convince me that a Tamil who has never left the country knows more about software engineering than someone with a college degree from Michigan State. That Google and Facebook can't find qualified Americans is a big lie. Try to get a job there and see how many hoops you have to jump through only to be told no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You can't convince me that a Tamil who has never left the country knows more about software engineering than someone with a college degree from Michigan State. That Google and Facebook can't find qualified Americans is a big lie. Try to get a job there and see how many hoops you have to jump through only to be told no.
This is not supporting tonym but your post is trying to compare apples to oranges. You can have a state like California that can have world class colleges like Stanford and Berkley and some no name colleges like Fresno polytechnic or something like that.

Tamil Nadu ( BTW Tamil is a language) has a world class institute called Indian Institute of Technology (IIT, Chennai), some decent colleges (REC, Trichy) and many really bad colleges that churn out diplomas. A person from IIT, Chennia in computer engineering will be better than 98% of the Michigan State students and those are the people Google and Facebook are trying to attract. The students from REC may be equal or just below Michigan State. As to the rest, Michigan state will beat all of them easily except one or two bright students.

Michigan state is a decent college but not Harvard or Stanford. Similar conditions exist in Tamil Nadu.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
https://forums.asp.net/t/1630106.asp...sqlserver+2000

This is pretty typical for an H1B; pay close attention to the posts here by the user "praveen.k."

The question he's asking is asinine for anyone with a lot of experience with SQL Server.

... bla, bla, blah ...

However...people like this are out there, polluting enterprise database systems with their crap code, all over the country. It's sickening for a professional like myself to see this.
Note that his question was answered by forum members Yogesh Bhadauriya and Florin Labou, two knowledgeable fellows also with suspiciously foreign sounding names. Could they be examples of H1Bs as well, or might not that suit your narrative?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Note that his question was answered by forum members Yogesh Bhadauriya and Florin Labou, two knowledgeable fellows also with suspiciously foreign sounding names. Could they be examples of H1Bs as well, or might not that suit your narrative?

You clearly missed the point. It isn't about these three individuals. It's about H1Bs being called "highly skilled" then coming over here and asking developers like myself questions like the one praveen.k asked on that forum.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not saying that H1Bs are declared null and void by Congress.But it is quite possible that the mere controversy has slowed or stopped them for all practical purposes.It's like the travel ban. US embassies could have stopped or slowed granting visas without anybody noticing. That's what they do all the time. You apply, they take your application then deny you a visa. End of story. No executive order needed.
Dream on.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Figured this would be coming, considering the anti-everything bluster of Trump.

My family and I have many dear friends who are here thanks to H1Bs. They are intelligent, hard-working and thrilled to be in America. Doing away with the H1B program seems like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Are there many high tech workers unable to find work because H1B visa holders took their jobs? I'm not saying it doesn't occasionally happen, but what's the unemployment rate amongst college-educated folks in the technology field?

Hoping this is just a rumor...
It happens more than occasionally. I work in the field, and it is inundated with Indians, far outnumbering US citizens, especially in AppDev. They often are no better than Americans at it, and are frequently worse, often due to problems with language and culture that get in the way of efficiency.

Then there is the offshoring, which is even worse. I don't understand why this isn't seen as a national security issue. Our IT infrastructure, now critical to the economy, is in the hands of foreign nationals and sometimes controlled from third world countries.

What we need are better training programs for US citizens, not incentives for businesses to outsource.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
You clearly missed the point. It isn't about these three individuals. It's about H1Bs being called "highly skilled" then coming over here and asking developers like myself questions like the one praveen.k asked on that forum.

Did he give out his location as well in his profile?? Its a support forum for .NET and can be used anywhere in the world right?

But of course, its like "Average" H1B Salary. You have highs and lows everywhere.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:

Oh I got your point which is a MASSIVE FAIL. You picked on a guy who asked a question on an internet forum and somehow made him representative of a dumb H1B visa holder, just because he had a foreign sounding name. Then two smart guys with foreign sounding names gave him the answer. Since two out of the three people with foreign sounding names are obviously smart, all you've actually demonstrated that H1B visa holders are mostly smart, and you can't even see that.

With logic like that, you must be one poor programmer.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It happens more than occasionally. I work in the field, and it is inundated with Indians, far outnumbering US citizens, especially in AppDev. They often are no better than Americans at it, and are frequently worse, often due to problems with language and culture that get in the way of efficiency.

Then there is the offshoring, which is even worse. I don't understand why this isn't seen as a national security issue. Our IT infrastructure, now critical to the economy, is in the hands of foreign nationals and sometimes controlled from third world countries.

What we need are better training programs for US citizens, not incentives for businesses to outsource.
You may not see the best and brightest H1B since they are taken by the likes of Google, Facebook or other companies that pay them well above the average rates. Or they work for start ups.

The average and below average work for companies like Dell, HP, Disney etc who want the work done by the cheapest, quality be dammed. And if that is the criteria the results will be in line with that thinking. Maybe if you prevent the companies from racing to the bottom you can have Americans hired by those firms. But then the American workers do not want to work for those salaries and the Indians fill the gap. So should you blame the Indians or blame the companies for attracting those Indians.

Offshoring - if you prevent that how do you improve the economy of those countries. And if you can't how are you going to sell the finished goods to them. Trade is a two way street, not a easy process for America to dump goods on to other countries.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
You may not see the best and brightest H1B since they are taken by the likes of Google, Facebook or other companies that pay them well above the average rates. Or they work for start ups.

The average and below average work for companies like Dell, HP, Disney etc who want the work done by the cheapest, quality be dammed. And if that is the criteria the results will be in line with that thinking. Maybe if you prevent the companies from racing to the bottom you can have Americans hired by those firms. But then the American workers do not want to work for those salaries and the Indians fill the gap. So should you blame the Indians or blame the companies for attracting those Indians.

Offshoring - if you prevent that how do you improve the economy of those countries. And if you can't how are you going to sell the finished goods to them. Trade is a two way street, not a easy process for America to dump goods on to other countries.

This is really true. The companies with the best and brightest have the best and brightest h1bs. The quality of the average developer at google is so much better than someone at some company in iowa or kansas, or it at least it has been in my experience. The less elite companies have worse talent, both in terms of h1bs AND their american employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies