Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,289,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
like I said- there's a whole world beyond what's outside your door....you might try discovering that some day...
I'm glad I can choose whether or not to get that vaccine. How you're turning that into an insult about me being insular or unworldly I'm not sure.
Quote:
when you touch a door knob with germs and someone comes by twenty minutes later and touches it, you're spreading germs even if you've never seen the person....
Can you restate your position? Do you advocate mandated annual vaccinations by force for the entire population, or something else?

Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm 42 actually, and yah I know I can't get it until 50+.

Yes, I had childhood immunizations consistent with someone born in 1974, but haven't had a needle pierce my skin since I was age... 13 I think.

I rarely come into any contact with elderly people, children, or immunocompromised people.

I never get the flu. It's not my responsibility to get the flu shot or flu mist, but if I GOT sick with influenza it would be my responsibility to take myself out of the community for the time it took to get past the contagious stage (whatever that is).

I'm glad we have a choice, and I will exercise my choice.
You are contagious for a day before symptoms begin.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You are contagious for a day before symptoms begin.
K.

I think I'm doing okay with my own immune system and lifestyle, since I've never had the flu.

And I'm glad I'm not forced to get the shot or mist.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,466,380 times
Quote:
K.

I think I'm doing okay with my own immune system and lifestyle, since I've never had the flu.

And I'm glad I'm not forced to get the shot or mist.
again- your whole hypothesis is based off your anecdotal evidence...thank god real science doesn't work the same...

Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
again- your whole hypothesis is based off your anecdotal evidence...thank god real science doesn't work the same...
If I'd repeatedly been sick I might feel differently. However, it appears I'm not prone to the flu.

Please restate your position. Do you advocate mandated annual vaccinations by force for the entire population, or something else? Is a person immoral for not getting the flu shot?

Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,466,380 times
Quote:
If I'd repeatedly been sick I might feel differently. However, it appears I'm not prone to the flu.

Please restate your position. Do you advocate mandated annual vaccinations by force for the entire population, or something else? Is a person immoral for not getting the flu shot?

flu shot =/= polio vaccine

Old 04-20-2017, 03:35 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,215,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Many people who are opposed to vaccines hate being called "anti-vax". It's just so, you know, negative. It implies being against something.
It doesn't IMPLY any such thing. It MEANS being against it. That is what anti means.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,794,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It doesn't IMPLY any such thing. It MEANS being against it. That is what anti means.

But should someone who declines one or a few vaccines be labeled as "anti-vax"? Or is someone only labeled as being "anti-vax" if they against all vaccines? More importantly, why do we even have labels for a person who is simply making health decisions for their themselves and members of their family?

Old 04-20-2017, 04:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer. Do you see anyone advocating mandated annual vaccinations by force? If not, why are you asking the question. I don't know why anti-vaxers like to bring up this "morality" bit so often, but whatever. No, it's not immoral, like murder. But it is anti-social as you can be contagious before you know you're sick. This is especially true if you work in health care, education, or with any group at higher risk, e.g. babies too young to be vaccinated, the elderly, the immunocompromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
But should someone who declines one or a few vaccines be labeled as "anti-vax"? Or is someone only labeled as being "anti-vax" if they against all vaccines? More importantly, why do we even have labels for a person who is simply making health decisions for their themselves and members of their family?
1. What suzy said.
2. Ditto
3. Because a) people should own their decisions; b) because it's not just a decision for themselves and their family members. It's part of the "social contract". See my answer to Nepenthe above.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,794,699 times
Since "anti" means "against" and "vaxer" presumably means vaccinate or vaccines then applying the term "anti-vaxer' to anyone other then those who refuse all vaccines is an inaccurate descriptor since someone who gets some vaccines is clearly not against vaccines and hence the label does not fit. This label only truly applies to someone who is against ALL vaccines.

Again, I don't know why a label like this even needs to exist but since it does we may as well use it in it's proper context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies