Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 05:36 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,291,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You don't see the obvious hypocrisy in Obama who campaigned vigorously against Wall St especially in 2008 and then could hardly wait until he was out of office to sign a lucrative speaking deal with them?

He campaigned against Wall Street excesses , and I have read that he did more to rein in WS than any POTUS since FDR. Why does this mean he cant give a speech to them afterwards ? What do you see so evil about a speech?

Obama has spoken out against police abuse. If some police org were to invite him to speak ( fantasy, I know ) , would he be a hypocrite to give a speech to a group of LEO's because he criticized the abuse of a few?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
He campaigned against Wall Street excesses , and I have read that he did more to rein in WS than any POTUS since FDR.
No you haven't.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,883,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
The problem is that he WAS president. And now he is accepting grossly over inflated fees for speeches.
Which leads one to wonder just what he is getting paid for.
He is now a private citizen, just like you and me. How about we discuss how Donald Trump and his family are going to use his Presidency to make them a lot more than $400K ? They are not even waiting until he gets out of office, like Obama has done, he is promoting his stuff, and Ivankas' stuff right now. He couldn't wait to raise the membership fee at Mar A Lago from $100K to $200K as soon as he was sworn in.

Your side has no room to question anything Obama is doing, your boy is as dirty as they come.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No you haven't.
Please quit speaking from ignorance.

Obama's $400K Paid Cantor Speech About Healthcare, Nothing Else: Spokesperson | Fox Business

“He recently accepted an invitation to speak at a health care conference in September, because, as a president who successfully passed health insurance reform, it’s an issue of great importance to him. With regard to this or any speech involving Wall Street sponsors, I’d just point out that in 2008, Barack Obama raised more money from Wall Street than any candidate in history – and still went on to successfully pass and implement the toughest reforms on Wall Street since FDR.â€

Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
He is now a private citizen, just like you and me. How about we discuss how Donald Trump and his family are going to use his Presidency to make them a lot more than $400K ? They are not even waiting until he gets out of office, like Obama has done, he is promoting his stuff, and Ivankas' stuff right now. He couldn't wait to raise the membership fee at Mar A Lago from $100K to $200K as soon as he was sworn in.

Your side has no room to question anything Obama is doing, your boy is as dirty as they come.
We aren't here to defend what Trump is doing. We are looking for an alternative. Provide an actual alternative or Trump wins again.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Please quit speaking from ignorance.

Obama's $400K Paid Cantor Speech About Healthcare, Nothing Else: Spokesperson | Fox Business

“He recently accepted an invitation to speak at a health care conference in September, because, as a president who successfully passed health insurance reform, it’s an issue of great importance to him. With regard to this or any speech involving Wall Street sponsors, I’d just point out that in 2008, Barack Obama raised more money from Wall Street than any candidate in history – and still went on to successfully pass and implement the toughest reforms on Wall Street since FDR.â€
I wonder what George Bush's spokesperson has to say about him? I recall that Saddam Hussein's continually said he was winning.

It never happened. The only thing passed was Dodd/Frank and all that did was institutionalize Too Big to Fail. It made it law. The banks can simply steal depositors money if they run into trouble.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM

30,213 posts, read 11,874,901 times
Quote:
He campaigned against Wall Street excesses , and I have read that he did more to rein in WS than any POTUS since FDR. Why does this mean he cant give a speech to them afterwards ? What do you see so evil about a speech?

Obama has spoken out against police abuse. If some police org were to invite him to speak ( fantasy, I know ) , would he be a hypocrite to give a speech to a group of LEO's because he criticized the abuse of a few?
Not everyone agrees Obama did much to change Wall St. Sure it was passed with a wink and a nod. But not much changed.

How Wall Street Killed Financial Reform - Rolling Stone

He blamed the 2008 crash on Wall St and vowed to change the rules when he first ran for president. They were the enemy, they brought our country to the brink of collapse. A huge central part of his campaign. It would be like Trump campaigning to fight terrorism and after leaving office accepting a speaking fee from Hezbollah.

And regarding the police. Those who benefited from the corruption on Wall St were the ones at the top. The ones Obama will be speaking to. You can't say that Police chiefs or Police organizations benefit from cops who abuse their power. Far from the case.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I wonder what George Bush's spokesperson has to say about him? I recall that Saddam Hussein's continually said he was winning.

It never happened. The only thing passed was Dodd/Frank and all that did was institutionalize Too Big to Fail. It made it law. The banks can simply steal depositors money if they run into trouble.

Since FOX News chose not to dispute the claim, Im not inclined to take your spin on things. Nevertheless, as I said, I read it somewhere, which turned out to be the news org that is more anti Obama than any other.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,326,157 times
Quote:
We aren't here to defend what Trump is doing. We are looking for an alternative. Provide an actual alternative or Trump wins again.
What the heck...... let Hillary run again. After all......Trump's a bad guy, and it is her turn.

Besides, Hillary is as clean as they come, no baggage there.

And, she'll be well into her 70's by the next election, but hey, she's the picture of health, right?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Not everyone agrees Obama did much to change Wall St

How Wall Street Killed Financial Reform - Rolling Stone

He blamed the 2008 crash on Wall St and vowed to change the rules when he first ran for president. A huge central part of his campaign. It would be like Trump campaigning to fight terrorism and after leaving office accepting a speaking fee from Hezbollah.

And regarding the police. Those who benefited from the corruption on Wall St were the ones at the top. The ones Obama will be speaking to. You can't say that Police chiefs or Police organizations benefit from cops who abuse their power. Far from the case.
Hezbollah?

Geez, and now I am supposed to take you seriously?

Do you realize that the topic of the first speech was healthcare? Something Obama is sort of linked to as POTUS.

At any rate, Obama is a private citizen. He is free to give speeches as he wishes. I am not an Obama worshipper, I would give him about a 7 out of 10 on his 8 years, and I dont think the ACA is perfect. But there are those who, if Obama cut out both kidneys and gave them to dying children as transplants, would whine that he got blood on the floor. I simply dont give much credence to these types and their eternal bitching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies