Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 09:16 AM

30,284 posts, read 11,928,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Hell, google speaking fees for anyone with a well known name - athletes, self help gurus, reality tv stars, etc.

I still don't see why people are so butt hurt about a private US citizen making money. What is Obama supposed to do? Flip burgers to show he stands with the working class?
First its not just the republicans that have an issue with Obama jumping right out of the gate and taking speaking fees from Wall St. Sanders, Warren even Bill Maher have issues with it.

There is a difference with a private citizen parlaying their success into speaking fees and a public servant taking their tax payer paid position and doing so. Its not just the huge speaking fees but the access that money buys in politics that benefits just those at the top.

It is just dirty. From either side of the aisle. And not just presidents but any cabinet person on up. They are getting paid not just to speak but for access and who knows what else. I will say the same thing if Trump pulls this same thing down the road.

Its not just this but getting board positions on companies and lobbying jobs after leaving the government. What happened to public service for the sake of the country not just one hoping to cash in later?

I say if they want to do it, tax them 90%. Make sure its all out in the open, unlike what Obama is doing. Let the US tax payers profit from these speeches.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 04-30-2017 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 09:44 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,295,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
First its not just the republicans that have an issue with Obama jumping right out of the gate and taking speaking fees from Wall St. Sanders, Warren even Bill Maher have issues with it.

There is a difference with a private citizen parlaying their success into speaking fees and a public servant taking their tax payer paid position and doing so. Its not just the huge speaking fees but the access that money buys in politics that benefits just those at the top.

It is just dirty. From either side of the aisle. And not just presidents but any cabinet person on up. They are getting paid not just to speak but for access and who knows what else. I will say the same thing if Trump pulls this same thing down the road.

Its not just this but getting board positions on companies and lobbying jobs after leaving the government. What happened to public service for the sake of the country not just one hoping to cash in later?

I say if they want to do it, tax them 90%. Make sure its all out in the open, unlike what Obama is doing. Let the US tax payers profit from these speeches.

Obama has done his public service. He is now a private citizen who has to pay bills.Ex's make about $ 300K from the government in retirement. Maybe thats enough,maybe not. Not our call. Most ex POTUS do some sort of post presidency projects benefiting others, and no doubt this also costs money.

As far as it not being in the open, since we are discussing it , and discussing one about 4-5 months before it happens, how is it not in the open?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:44 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,535,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No, not all.Just black ones.
Don't go pulling a race card

Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 AM

30,284 posts, read 11,928,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Obama has done his public service. He is now a private citizen who has to pay bills.Ex's make about $ 300K from the government in retirement. Maybe thats enough,maybe not. Not our call. Most ex POTUS do some sort of post presidency projects benefiting others, and no doubt this also costs money.

As far as it not being in the open, since we are discussing it , and discussing one about 4-5 months before it happens, how is it not in the open?

Barack Obama once said, “I do think, at a certain point, you’ve made enough money.†Apparently Obama has not reached that threshold.

It was not out in the open but a private deal he made with Canter Fitzgerald. It got leaked to the press. We are talking about it because it was leaked not because Obama talked about it publicly.

This is the time for Obama to cement his legacy. If his legacy is to cash in as much and as often as possible so be it.

I have no issue for example with Jimmy Carter and the home building projects he does for people. All indications seem to be that Carter has used his previous public service for good since he was president not for private gain.

I have no issue with book deals like Obama has signed for $65 million. He has a right to write a book and get paid market value for it. Its transparent. No issues.

What is Wall St getting for their $400,000? You are not at least a little curious to find out?

Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 AM

42,880 posts, read 26,448,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
What is Wall St getting for their $400,000? You are not at least a little curious to find out?
What was the quid pro quo for the $15 million Bush received in speaking fees between 2009 and 2015? What was the payback for Reagan's two million dollar speech in Japan

I love to watch the faux outrage over everything Obama does when there is ample evidence that Politicians on the right have hardly been icons of virtue

Old 04-30-2017, 10:33 AM

1,548 posts, read 916,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He will go down as one of the best presidents
Eh. I don't think he was the disaster some of my fellow Trump voters do but "one of the best" is a stretch to me. One of the most recent, yes.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,459,884 times
He's not in office anymore, he has no power in the government, why is it any of our business? As long as he's retired from politics I don't care (it was shady when Hillary did it before her campaign).

More importantly, we can't say whether Trump the current president has done anything like this because he's hiding his tax returns!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,132,066 times
OP, your post lost all credibility at "disgraced ex-president." Attempting to pass your own personal opinion as fact.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:40 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,355,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Gotta laugh at the last.

Ever hear of the Mercers? The following rather lengthy article describes a case study delineating the realities (i.e. based on reality & not on libertarian, free market fundamentalist ... ideology) of the outcomes of the Citizens United ruling:

The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency - The New Yorker
Nothing in the law stopped anyone from donating to a candidate. The law did not do what you think it did.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:41 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,355,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The Rolling Stones have earned 29 million for one stadium appearance. Obama is small potatoes.

On a side note, I guarantee if someone offers you 400k to speak anywhere, you will be all over it.
They won't. Why is that? I did nothing for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies