Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How very odd, then, that California has 34% of the US Welfare population when only 12% of the US population lives there.

California is the welfare capital - The San Diego Union-Tribune

California has way more anchor babies (who qualify their baby mamas for SNAP, Sec 8, etc) than other states?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
I get the same vibe from a lot of posters here. Poor people aren't lazy unmotivated wanting to live off the dole as implied. Ironic, Ryan lived on 'gov support' from his dad himself. Plenty of rich kids live off their parents boozing drugging and not telling what else They have no direction. but I guess that's OK huh? Help is help. Pulling yourself up by the boot strpa isn't simple. Its' time to stop demonizing the poor.

https://www.salon.com/2017/03/23/why...rce=newsletter
Yes politicians won't say it out loud, but there's definitely an underlying contempt for the poor that runs throughout much of GOP policy. They choose to believe that poor people are simply lazy and since it's their own fault they're poor, that they deserve to suffer. Their policies are essentially the "tough love" approach. We're going to help you by....not helping you! You see, that's the only way you can learn your lesson and one day join us in the ranks of the affluent!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:12 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Many times our poor does extremely well compared to the real poor in other countries.

How much more do you want to give them and why keep importing more?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I get the same vibe from a lot of posters here. Poor people aren't lazy unmotivated wanting to live off the dole as implied. Ironic, Ryan lived on 'gov support' from his dad himself. Plenty of rich kids live off their parents boozing drugging and not telling what else They have no direction. but I guess that's OK huh? Help is help. Pulling yourself up by the boot strpa isn't simple. Its' time to stop demonizing the poor.

I'd be curious what posters think about precisely what policies (party irrelevant) are cruel to the poor. This thread has people saying Dems are cruel to the poor. You have indicated Rebs are cruel to the poor. What does cruel to the poor policy look like?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:16 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Yes politicians won't say it out loud, but there's definitely an underlying contempt for the poor that runs throughout much of GOP policy. They choose to believe that poor people are simply lazy and since it's their own fault they're poor, that they deserve to suffer. Their policies are essentially the "tough love" approach. We're going to help you by....not helping you! You see, that's the only way you can learn your lesson and one day join us in the ranks of the affluent!
Stop the whiny nonsense... Look at it from other people's point of view.

You want the lifestyle of the middle class? Do as they do. Take out huge debt to pay for college, buy a house, car and other things you need or want. Work your butt off to pay the bills generated by these things and while you're at it pay taxes to subsidize everyone else while they keep b*tching at you because the people who are subsidized want more.

Oh and while you're paying for everything, try to put money aside to pay for your elderly years. Don't worry, you can keep "that extra money" <sarcasm> because the poor will be taken care of out of the tax payer funded government coffers that you've already contributed to. You'll have to pay for your own care.

Oh well... I'm sure you won't understand any of this.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You're honestly asking WHY.

Because they believe "poor people should pull themselves by their own bootstraps." Don't forget there's equal opportunity for everyone, which is a joke.
I was talking to a therapist who is educated in some of the vernacular that broken people use. Apparently it is quite common for people to feel bad because they fail to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Think about pulling yourself up by your FEET. You are standing there. Yanking on the straps of your boots. Where the h3ll are you going to go? The origin of this particular saying, according to her, is that it is a feat of impossibility which, as a goal, is kind of dumb.

Poor people are lazy and shiftless. The fact that they were born into disadvantage is irrelevant. They need to ... pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
California has way more anchor babies (who qualify their baby mamas for SNAP, Sec 8, etc) than other states?
Very possibly, but why aren't those anchor babies growing up to be socioeconomically upwardly mobile, as asserted? Why does California have 34% of the nation's Welfare population but only 12% of the nation's entire population? And California's under age 18 population at 10 million is a very similar 13% of the total US population under age 18.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I'd be curious what posters think about precisely what policies (party irrelevant) are cruel to the poor. This thread has people saying Dems are cruel to the poor. You have indicated Rebs are cruel to the poor. What does cruel to the poor policy look like?
I will take a stab at it.

Many conservative Republicans are against any type of legal abortion, including those pregnancies arising out of rape or incest. They are also against a woman aborting a fetus that is found to have grave health issues. In brief, said conservatives proclaim "You Must Have That Child".

Oddly, many of those same conservatives do not believe in poor women in being able to obtain pre-natal care. They are also against paid maternity leave, hence the poor women in question (at least, those that work) will be driven even further into economic difficulties if they stay home with their infant. Many also oppose subsidized health care for the infant in question. If said fetus has some congenital problem, after birth the heath insurance company will term it a 'pre-existing condition', and, if all goes as planned with the current proposed health bill, be subject to extremely high premiums. Indeed, one often hears someone say 'It's their baby, they are responsible for its upkeep", etc.

I recall the flack that Hillary Rodham Clinton got for saying "It takes a village to raise a child". Conservatives were aghast.

In some way, these conservatives are like grandparents. Grandparents will often say that they dote on their newborn grandchild, but are pleased that they can visit briefly, but have no responsibility for the child's care.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:

Many GOP'ers are mean spirited people. They have taken their own challenges in life and not softened their heart from them, but got harder hearts. They look at the world and everyone in it through that prism of "hardness." "Do it Yourself," "Pull Yourself Up," etc. The Republicans in my own family were like that. Different responses to life's problems. Some people grow in compassion, some grow in contempt and hatred.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Many GOP'ers are mean spirited people. They have taken their own challenges in life and not softened their heart from them, but got harder hearts. They look at the world and everyone in it through that prism of "hardness." "Do it Yourself," "Pull Yourself Up," etc. The Republicans in my own family were like that. Different responses to life's problems. Some people grow in compassion, some grow in contempt and hatred.
Forcing money from people at gunpoint and using it to buy votes is not compassion. Both parties do it under the guise of helping the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies