Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Doesn't explain why they are here.
Current refugee settlement is a fraction of what it once was in the 80's.

The majority of resettled refugees have historically hailed from Africa and Asia, typically from third world countries with civil wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 06:23 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They are human beings.
Sort of. They are sub-humans that want to chop your head off, eat your dog, rape you, make you bow to their religion, and live in the stone age.

They belong in the sand countries killing each other like they'be been doing for that last 2,000 years. They have no place in a civilized society because they will never be civilized and assimilate with Western culture.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Sort of. They are sub-humans that want to chop your head off, eat your dog, rape you, make you bow to their religion, and live in the stone age.

They belong in the sand countries killing each other like they'be been doing for that last 2,000 years. They have no place in a civilized society because they will never be civilized and assimilate with Western culture.
Your location is "On the way to Las Vegas". Is that what you consider the pinnacle of civilization and culture?

I'd rather take my chances with the refugees.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Cheap labor. I saw a garment factory in Colorado (while searching for American made items) advertising on the main page that they were looking to hire refugees. I marked them off my "Made in America" list! At the cost of $65,000 per resettled refugee here, the taxpayer picks up the tab, the exploiters are the ones that want them here.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:34 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They are human beings.
They can be human beings in a more appropriate country.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:34 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Your location is "On the way to Las Vegas". Is that what you consider the pinnacle of civilization and culture?
I already lived in "the pinnacle of civilization and culture" and it sucked, bigly. Now I just live in place where the weather is nice and people leave you alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I'd rather take my chances with the refugees.
Good, you can have them. Knock yourself out. Rent out your basement and roast a goat on the 4th of July.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:39 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
And I bet you go to church every Sunday and call yourself a good god fearing Christian.
In Jesus's time it was customary for the Roman Empire to allowed conquered people to continue to stay in place and continue to practice their religion. Had the Jews been forced to flee Israel (called Judea at the time), I think Jesus would have spoken out about it, don't you? In 67 AD, the Jews rebelled against high Roman taxation and surprisingly defeated a Roman army that went to suppress the rebellion. This contributed to the Jewish despora. Now those are the type of refugees I wouldn't mind welcoming!

Old 05-05-2017, 06:44 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I just wonder what purpose refugees serve?
I think you have just reached a new moral low point for the forum, stripped bare of any pretense.

I take it you are unfamiliar with the term charity? ... brotherly love?

Old 05-05-2017, 06:59 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The above post is a classical example of right-wing ignorance at its finest:

- Assuming that life is like a Hollywood movie, where the refugees can just "grab some guns," train for a few days under a steely-eyed hero, and go out and blow up the bad guys. Get a clue - reality is not like the Magnificent Seven, and even that movie had a high casualty rate among the heroes. The refugees are often women, children, and everyday men - they are not all combat trained Rambo-clones. Again, this is reality, not Hollywood. In reality, poorly armed civilians do NOT defeat terrorist groups that are equipped with everything from tanks, armored military vehicles, pile of military grade weapons, and legions of blood-thirsty, combat-trained troops.
Then how does ISIS do it? How did a bunch of poorly armed American colonists do it?

Quote:
- Then, we have the typical insults against "liberals" while once again demonstrating the usual right-wing ignorance regarding what a "liberal" even is. In short, if you don't hate brown people, people of other religions, gays, etc., you're a "liberal" these days. And then the brain-dead, bigoted right-wingers wonder why all the people they hate end up voting against their bigotry. It must a "liberal plot," - yeah, sure - that's what it is.
Here we go again with the skin-color infatuation of liberals. I don't consider Syrians "brown people"; they are as white as me. And I don't hate Muslims; I hate Islam.

Quote:
Just as another point to add, the ancestors of many right-wing bigots came to this nation as refugees themselves, and they were - ironically - hated by the nationalist bigots of their day. Funny, though, how the flag-waving fear-mongers of today never blast their own refugee ancestors for being "cowards." I bet those refugees also voted against whatever party of the time (Know Nothings, etc.) hated them. Duh - what a shock.
I have to question this. My recollection is that most immigrants came here not as refugees, but feel free to prove me wrong. During wars, immigration is usually prohibited. It is true that after wars, emigration from war torn countires is common. My ancestors came to America after WWI. But they did not come as refugees. They came here to work as jobs were readily available before liberalism/globalism destroyed our manufactuing economy.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 AM

957 posts, read 758,275 times
A lot of refugees are doctors, scientists, and engineers just to mention a few. They serve in our Military swearing to defend the Constitution. All in all, they do far more to benefit the country than trump and his trumpanzies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies