Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 06:55 PM

554 posts, read 609,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The "payor" becomes the people, involuntarily. Like it or not, no opting out.
Yes, the "payor" is the taxpayer. You already pay taxes, I assume. You might pay more with universal health coverage, you might pay less. The tax system could be overhauled to make it more progressive rather than regressive. We can simplify it, eliminate deductions used only by the super-wealthy. I'd much rather pay for your health care than pay for Drump's border wall. Maybe he can get Mexico to pay for our health care system too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:58 PM

554 posts, read 609,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Thus in your estimation, the words "student" and "professor" aren't worth your time to differentiate within an average discussion. I see. Carry on, my good swan.
My point about your error does not logically lead to your point about the difference between a student and a professor.

But to answer your assumption: correct; it's not worth my time.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Read: "The Preamble of The United States Constitution:

That phrase "Promote the General Welfare" includes the care of the people as well as the land and the sanctity of All that supports this nations stability.

promote - support or actively encourage.

general - affecting or concerning all or most people, places, or things; widespread

welfare - the health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

OK....let's take your definition here at face value.

At what point in your logic does "promote" become "pay for"?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 PM

858 posts, read 708,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And how exactly does forcing everyone to purchase health insurance prevent any of that from happening?
It doesn't but it was a step. Obamacare was not the be all, end all to healthcare but it was a step in the right direction. Before it, insurance companies fought to not cover illnesses and reimburse as little as possible. A universal health care system like how other countries do it is the only real solution. I do believe we will get there one day because it's absurd what we are doing in this country.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,639,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?
I work in healthcare in EMS. I have been called out two times today for a morbidly obese woman for a "lift assist". The lady can't even go to the bathroom without help, and it has a whole lot to do with the way she's TAKEN CARE OF HERSELF OVER THE YEARS.

But Tax payer dollars are paying the tab. This lady will be in a nursing facility within the next year, and it will be mostly due to her lack of care for herself, which is running rampant in America today.

So I guess you decide whether it is working or not.

I take care of myself, and when I'm 60 something years old won't have eaten myself into my bed.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 PM

381 posts, read 643,200 times
As it is, healthcare basically is a right in the U.S., because anybody can walk into an ER and get treated.

Again, still waiting for the "free market" folks to come up with a plan that lowers costs.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Yes, the "payor" is the taxpayer. You already pay taxes, I assume. You might pay more with universal health coverage, you might pay less. The tax system could be overhauled to make it more progressive rather than regressive. We can simplify it, eliminate deductions used only by the super-wealthy. I'd much rather pay for your health care than pay for Drump's border wall. Maybe he can get Mexico to pay for our health care system too.
Fine.

Join a healthcare co op.

Just don't ask me to pay for your health care and I won't ask you to pay for the wall.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
As it is, healthcare basically is a right in the U.S., because anybody can walk into an ER and get treated.

Again, still waiting for the "free market" folks to come up with a plan that lowers costs.
Your wait is over.

Repeal Kefauver-Harris and eliminate licensing requirements for healthcare workers.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
It doesn't but it was a step. Obamacare was not the be all, end all to healthcare but it was a step in the right direction. Before it, insurance companies fought to not cover illnesses and reimburse as little as possible. A universal health care system like how other countries do it is the only real solution. I do believe we will get there one day because it's absurd what we are doing in this country.
Obamacare raised millions of peoples premiums and deductibles so high that they are being forced to pay for insurance that they can't afford to actually use.

That means people aren't going to the doctor for preventative care, and things like early cancer detection are being lost to the bureaucracy.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
My point about your error does not logically lead to your point about the difference between a student and a professor.

But to answer your assumption: correct; it's not worth my time.
Your comment was something of the nature of spending forty-two years as a student. I would venture a guess that for any sound-minded individual involved in a discussion, the distinction between a teacher and a student would be of some importance. Obviously you do not, which doesn't matter anyway. We are both wasting bandwidth here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies