Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes. People in other countries where healthcare is provided for all have the freedom to move from one job to another without having to worry about their healthcare insurance. What a wonderful idea! Being able to get a job that pays better, provides you more experience, is better for your family without worrying about (a) waiting 3-6 months to get on the new insurance plan and (b) the quality of said health insurance.
Hers an example of coverage in the Province of Ontario.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/what-ohip-covers

You'd still need private insurance for prescriptions, eyeglasses, etc. You might get that through your job or you can purchase it on your own.

To give an example, my mother was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer on a Friday night, had brain surgery Monday afternoon and then transferred to our local hospital for 3 weeks. She then spent 6 weeks travelling 3x per week to a top notch cancer centre for radiation treatments. Unfortunately she ended up in hospital 6 weeks after that, where she remained until she died just about 6 months later. Her out of pocket expense was $45 for an ambulance ride, a $100 donation to the Cancer Society for the times a volunteer drove her to the radiation treatments, 10% of any prescriptions she got while out of hospital and a fee to have TV in her room until she could no longer concentrate. Her private insurance picked up the other 90% along with her hospital bed.

I wish this type of coverage for everyone, and never in 45 years have i ever heard anyone complain that their taxes might be helping someone who doesn't pay as much in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,534,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That isn't what makes anyone upset, and I think you know that. The issue is taking people's money by force to fund it (taking away people's right to choose), and also forcing people to serve them.

It's the difference between your friend asking you to pay for dinner, and them threatening you if you don't pay for dinner. You don't mind as much if they give you a choice.
Force to fund it? Why would you feel forced? What choice are you taking about?

You mean the choice of paying a small fee a month for a service you may or may not need inmediatly (but you WILL need at some point) vs not paying a monthly fee BUT if you get sick or need a doctor you will go completely broke?
Peace of mind vs the fear of getting sick?

Its not even a choice cause no one would chose the latter. I CHOSE to pay for healthcare even if i were selfish because its ALSO convenient to me.

So what bothers you people is not only accidentally helping people, it bothers you that what you percieve as "lesser people" (taking a guess i would say poor people, people of different races, inmigrants) have access to the same things as you. Because that way you stop being special, you stop being "superior".

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Everyone pays into the system and everyone gets something out of it, like it should be.
That's NOT how it is in the US and you know it. In those other countries liberals admire so much EVERYONE pays into the system but not in the US. Liberals here would flip out if anyone dared expect EVERYONE to pay into the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No. No one is entitled to the labor of another.
That's utterly beyond the comprehension of liberals. They clearly feel entitled to anything you have that they want.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
No, I don't automatically expect others to pay for and guarantee my health care. It may be the collective will to pool people together either as a group at work or as nation to pool resources to insure that we can distribute the cost in some mutually agreed way. What I object to is the idea that I have to pay for everyone that illegally walks into my kitchen.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:

I think ya'll need to stop hanging on the word free. We ALL KNOW that NOTHING is FREE. You know damned well what we are talking about so stop hanging on that word and get on with a productive conversation on the topic at hand.

JFC
Yes by "FREE" you mean "YOU pay for ME". Liberals, always so generous with other peoples time, effort, resources and money.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
As a healthcare worker, yes I do. And in the most developed nation on Earth, there's no excuse for it not to be guaranteed to everyone here.
Show me where it is in the bill of rights.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:48 PM

Theres something no one is saying and it is that, in the end, this is a classist issue.

There are people who want the poor to stay poor. They see themselves as superior because they have stuff. They usually use the "self made man" narrative like that poster here telling his "hero" story and throw sentences like "liberals want everything handed to them", "freedom" and yada yada.

This people take pride in whatever material possesion they have and the fact that they "earned it". All their ego and self worth rests in that. If someone poorer than them access to what they have, then all the structure of their self worth collapses.

If everyone else haves it, they are not so special anymore. And where lies their worth then?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Does this liberty involve a type of 19th century witch doctor system? All people pay for services out of pocket and if people cant fund the cancer treatment for their child, that's the price of liberty?
I think we both know that what you are doing here is introducing a strawman and "poisoning the well."

There are many, many other alternative plans and options. But most liberals are not interested in hearing of them, much less, in actually considering them. They are too stuck on ONE idea that happens to involve coerced collectivism. Personally, I tend to believe that the coerced collectivism aspect is the only reason they are stuck on that one solution to the problem.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
How much research have you done into countries that have provided healthcare for their citizens for decades? Legit question.
I grew up in the UK, socialized health care is a complete failure.
Unless you think the VA is great.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Yes by "FREE" you mean "YOU pay for ME". Liberals, always so generous with other peoples time, effort, resources and money.
No, it means I pay for YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies