Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
student should not be allowed to wear them in school anyway. They can be concealing weapons or contraband.
Yes well its thier tradition to do so and most do not hide things in it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 05:55 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
WTF is going on in my country where people think tearing a hijab off a Muslim girl's head even remotely comparable to tearing the skirt off a Catholic girl?
People are looking at things rationally?
Teacher's absolutely should not be physically removing skirts, caps, hijabs, anything from students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
No one thinks religious freedom works like that. When a law or some sort of rule is made that contradicts a religious belief, the secular law ALWAYS comes first. Many religious texts say there are times when killing religious minorities is acceptable, but US law does not recognize it.

Exceptions can be made per law. Dress codes, for example, may be amended because ultimately, no one is hurt if your religion asks you to wear a headscarf or a turban or whatever. It's law by law (or rule by rule). This is why we have courts after all; to decide what is most appropriate.
Which is my point.
If exceptions can be made, then the law/rule is probably not really necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
No it's not the same as those two things at all. Wildly inappropriate, but not the same as stripping a person. It's just a symbolic garment, like the yarmulke or priests collar. It doesn't cover genitalia.
So what?
How about ripping off a Catholic school girl's blouse? That doesn't cover genitalia.
How about a atheist's shirt? That doesn't cover genitalia.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:41 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times
More students should be dressed like her in NYC. I'm tired of seeing these little kids going to schools dressed like adults.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Rasputin was the primary cause of the fall of the Russian empire, opening up the possibility of a communist take over.

Do you know what that has to do with your post? Only one thing; both have literally nothing to do with the topic at hand. The difference though is that mine isn't an attempt to slide "she deserved it" into the conversation in a way that shows no class or decency.

The girl was mistreated. Period. If you think it's different because she's a Muslim, you're an actual racist.
"Muslim" is not a race.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:04 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
I have had teachers rip a baseball cap off my head. I got over it.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
NYC has rules for rules. Add media spin to a situation which in this situation includes a Muslim and a Hijab and the story takes off in the direction of the Hijab instead of the other item which was the physical assault of the child by a Nigerian "Per Diem Teacher" who'd only been in the system for five months. Since this position requires yearly renewal it was treated as a contractor position and thus the person was terminated for whatever cause the DOE saw fit.

Substitute/Per Diem Teachers - Human Resources - New York City Department of Education

Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes the kid was being a brat but that doesn't excuse a teacher losing her temper and control over the situation.

Substitute teacher rips hijab off 8-year-old Bronx student
I live in the Bronx. As of lately, plenty of Muslim refugees from Sub Sahara, North Africa, and the Levant of Syria now call the Bronx home.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:48 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I live in the Bronx. As of lately, plenty of Muslim refugees from Sub Sahara, North Africa, and the Levant of Syria now call the Bronx home.
Muslims are getting to be a pretty large voting block in NYC as they had two Islamic holidays added to the school systems calendar.

New York public schools to have Muslim holidays off - CNN.com

Thus the quick reaction of the DOE.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"Muslim" is not a race.
Change "racist" to bigot then

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I have had teachers rip a baseball cap off my head. I got over it.
So what?
I had a teacher physically kick me. I got over it.
That in no way justifies the behavior.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Muslims are getting to be a pretty large voting block in NYC as they had two Islamic holidays added to the school systems calendar.

New York public schools to have Muslim holidays off - CNN.com

Thus the quick reaction of the DOE.
Christians have Good Friday and Christmas off. Jews have Yom Kippur and Rosh Shanna off and Muslims have Eid and another holiday off. Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies