Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:22 PM

5,996 posts, read 3,734,817 times

Advertisements

I condemn their actions equally. If both of those religions were to mind their own business and stop trying to force their beliefs on everyone else then I would have no problem with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I condemn their actions equally. If both of those religions were to mind their own business and stop trying to force their beliefs on everyone else then I would have no problem with either.
Yes!

Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Exactly. However, the world we live in does have double standards. I am a liberal Democrat. I am also a Christian. Judaism and Christianity enjoy a freedom to question our faiths openly then does Islamic believers do in many parts of the world. So I think it is true what the OP pointed out. Yet, I tell the OP so what if it happens to Christians ? Didn't Jesus tell his believers they would face rejection, ridicule, and persecution ? Doesn't mean that Christians have any right to persecute or mistreat any other group in the meantime.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Christians need to realize that ridicule or critical scrutiny of Chrianity is nothing to fear and actually good for us. Keeps us honest, humble, and exposing our flaws is a good thing. Thank God for the Boston Globe and NYT exposing clerical abuse with children in the US for example.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:50 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Does religion (or political faction) matter to the critiquing and examination of "bad behavior"?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
As far as treating women and gay people like animals? Have you spent much time in rural, white America?

It's a completely different level.

A gay couple kissing in public in Saudi Arabia will be jailed or worse. A married woman who is raped could be sentenced to prison in Saudi Arabia. In Indonesia, if a woman joins the military she has to go through the "two finger" test. Look at Muslim countries around the world. Look not only at their laws but the culture. Their culture and laws are based a lot on Islam. It's nothing compared to Alabama, even rural Alabama.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
False equivalency ?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You misunderstand my post. I am not saying Christians haven't killed people in their warped interpretation. I am saying why a liberal museum could have an exhibit of let's say an image of Christ covered in manure but would never tolerate a Koran in manure. Let's face it a museum would be scared to death of being blown up. Now that is a fact. Yet, as a Christian I am not offended of Christians being ridiculed and nor do I believe Christians in the US are persecuted. Christians in the US are not persecuted whatso ever. Also if Christians would really face persecution in the US it would be exactly what Jesus promised his followers would happen as it does in many parts of the world. Yet, this is the point for the OP, when was the last time he prayed for those he feels are persecuting him ? And doing good for them ???
I think I understand your point, but I have to disagree with it. I'm Jewish, and it was Christians who killed 6,000,000 Jews and another 6,000,000 people. And when I get tired and depressed and worried that history could repeat itself and my son and I could be on our way to a concentration camp, it would be Christians sending us there.

Right now, the majority of Christians aren't anywhere near that warped and perverted interpretation of Christianity. But some are, and some of those people are in positions of great authority in this country and in this presidential administration. So yes, at least a part of me is scared to death of what Christians might do to me, if enough of them decide to.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's a completely different level.

A gay couple kissing in public in Saudi Arabia will be jailed or worse. A married woman who is raped could be sentenced to prison in Saudi Arabia. In Indonesia, if a woman joins the military she has to go through the "two finger" test. Look at Muslim countries around the world. Look not only at their laws but the culture. Their culture and laws are based a lot on Islam. It's nothing compared to Alabama, even rural Alabama.
I agree. What my fellow liberals will do is make an argument against Christians to point out that we aren't perfect. Which is true. Yet, by doing so the falsely equate an orange with a hand grenade. Islamic countries right now routinely deny the most basic civil rights. Christian fundamentalist may dislike gays, may feel gays are demonic, but they seek at worst to thru politics to make life harder for gays but not kill them. Again because Christians face challenge from the press and critical arguments Christian denominations have grown more and more tolerant towards gays. In Islamic countries liberal scrutiny is punishable as un Islamic and that can lead to extreme retaliation.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think I understand your point, but I have to disagree with it. I'm Jewish, and it was Christians who killed 6,000,000 Jews and another 6,000,000 people. And when I get tired and depressed and worried that history could repeat itself and my son and I could be on our way to a concentration camp, it would be Christians sending us there.

Right now, the majority of Christians aren't anywhere near that warped and perverted interpretation of Christianity. But some are, and some of those people are in positions of great authority in this country and in this presidential administration. So yes, at least a part of me is scared to death of what Christians might do to me, if enough of them decide to.
If I was Jewish I would agree with you more then likely. Your viewpoint is evidenced by history. That is why I like the fact that as a Christian my history and values are constantly questioned and challenged. Some fundamentalist Christians might feel we are being persecuted for being challenged. But I applaud it. It's ideas and not violence after all. As a liberal in the US I seek to defend the under dog and Muslims in the US deserve my help for equal protection. Yet, in the world at large Islam needs scrutiny by all who can point out the lack of civil rights protection for various people in Islamic countries. PS I am no fan of millennial Christians in positions of power in the US. Millenial Christians Google it are not millenials who are Christians by the way, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies