Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:04 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

Bill Maher and now Fareed Zakaria are admitting Liberals cannot say they are tolerant anymore!

Fareed Zakaria: Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 02:23 PM

29,830 posts, read 24,922,073 times
One thing has been made very clear in the past decade... Liberals loathe freedom of speech, and freedom of independent thought. Liberals desire group think, with them commanding the train of thought. They also desire fantasy in place of reality, again, with them directing the narrative.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:31 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Bill Maher and now Fareed Zakaria are admitting Liberals cannot say they are tolerant anymore!

Fareed Zakaria: Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not - CNN.com
Nothing new here. We've known liberals are the least tolerant for many years. One could easily argue they are 21st century fascists and do all they can to shut down anyone through lies and intimidation from speaking publicly that don't follow their agenda. It's as if they follow the Mussolini hand book from 1929 almost word for word. First you control the media, then the universities and then everything else follows including intimidating the general public from attending political rallies held by your opponents.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:32 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
One thing has been made very clear in the past decade... Liberals loathe freedom of speech, and freedom of independent thought. Liberals desire group think, with them commanding the train of thought. They also desire fantasy in place of reality, again, with them directing the narrative.
Exactly, I'm a minority but dont fall for the Liberals nonstop force feeding that if you are a minority you are oppressed to the point you cant succeed and if you do succeed it was pure luck. To me this is racist! To box us into one box and then say its luck if one of us succeeds!

Old 05-28-2017, 02:38 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
It's gonna be hard for the fake news crowd to call out CNN for being too liberal here. Then again, those of us with a brain already knew that criticism was missing the mark.

As for the actual comment... yeah. I'm not so sure it's fair to call these people liberals. There's a noticeable difference between modern liberals and classical liberals (generally, Democrats and Republicans respectively), but they are still part of the same intellectual movement. The idea that a modern liberal would refuse to hear out the argument of a classical liberal, or vice versa, is an illiberal idea. If you do not believe one person should be allowed to speak, you are not a liberal.

Classical liberals and modern liberals will disagree on the merits of welfare, the nature of equality, and a host of other policy issues. But the idea of freedom of expression is a liberal idea. If you oppose it, you aren't a liberal. You're something else. Now, a lot of these people, I genuinely don't know what to call them. I think they have a desire to be political, but never learned how. Which isn't that surprising; if education is viewed as a way to get a job above all else, it should come as no surprise that those who receive this education do not have even a basic understanding of civics and politics.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainmachine View Post
Strawman argument.

You're more likely to encounter conservatives who see a successful minority and assume his achievements were handed to him by affirmative action.
BS. There is nothing I love more, as a hard working conservative American, than seeing other hard working Americans (regardless of political leaning, race, sexual orientation, etc) being REWARDED for their real effort. That is the embodiment of why I think this country is great. The shear volume of opportunity that exists to go around for people committed to making their own way in life allows for unlimited prosperity and balance of power. Americans don't need to pander to any ruling elite or politicians to achieve success. They just have to put forth an honest effort.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Did you read the article, I ask sarcastically? These so called liberals are being accused of not upholding liberal values. The issue isn't that "liberals" are bad, it's that many self identifying liberals don't have a firm understanding on the intellectual ideas of liberalism, so the point where they openly and willing contradict those values. Liberals do not loathe free speech; if they do that, they are not really liberals. By definition.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly, I'm a minority but dont fall for the Liberals nonstop force feeding that if you are a minority you are oppressed to the point you cant succeed and if you do succeed it was pure luck. To me this is racist! To box us into one box and then say its luck if one of us succeeds!
I know you from over in the investing section of this forum. If I remember correctly, you have a plan, you work and are a knowledgable investor and contribute alot to the discussion. I've learned some good things over there, interesting forum. I wondered if successful minorities are offended by the constant pulling out the race card.

They call it luck we call it aware and being prepared for opportunities.

Here's to financial independence

Last edited by petch751; 05-28-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Did you read the article, I ask sarcastically? These so called liberals are being accused of not upholding liberal values. The issue isn't that "liberals" are bad, it's that many self identifying liberals don't have a firm understanding on the intellectual ideas of liberalism, so the point where they openly and willing contradict those values. Liberals do not loathe free speech; if they do that, they are not really liberals. By definition.
Honestly, I skimmed through a couple sentences. I just think liberals are hypocrites in general, and dislike freedom of speech, regardless of what the article, or you say.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I skimmed through a couple sentences. I just think liberals are hypocrites in general, and dislike freedom of speech, regardless of what the article, or you say.
The irony of you dismissing my point...

You are a liberal. I can't technically gauruntee that, but based on what you said earlier, you are 100% a liberal. Becasue that's what most conservatives in America are; liberals. Liberal values founded the United States. That's not some radical idea. John Locke is considered the father of liberalism... read a Two Treatise of Government then go read the various documents the founding fathers wrote and tell me you don't see the overlap. They were liberals.

At some point in American history, a group of liberals started calling themselves "conservative" because technically, that is the traditional American viewpoint and they valued things like Christianity. But they were technically liberal, even if they called themselves conservative. Compare American conservatives to conservatives... pretty much anywhere else, and they are extremely different. And this is becasue American conservatism is just a different name for liberalism.

All of the intellectual work on liberalism, all of their principles, lead to supporting free speech. If someone says they are a liberal but believe some viewpoints should just not be allowed, they aren't liberal anymore. Or, they are, but becasue their education has been reduced to jobs training, they don't understand what being a liberal is. If we want to be upset about these so called new liberals, we need to look at our priorities as a society and consider how we shape our education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies