Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood. With funding comes control over what Planned Parenthood does and the federal government has no business controlling that as long as it's legal. As with all things the federal government gets involved with, it's hard to get it out once in as it creates dependency and political benefits.

"Defunding" Planned Parenthood should mean that the federal government provides no funds to Planned Parenthood and cannot tell it what to do or not do with its own funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You are given a choice. Your life will expanded another month, with a chance of it being expanded another 100 years, if you go through ten minutes of pain. What do you choose?

The hope of any pro-lifer is the woman will rethink her evil choice. That the woman will become a decent human being in the interval.
In the real world, pregnancy and delivery is not ten minutes of pain. In the real world, pregnancy and delivery can have permanent side effects, including death.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood. With funding comes control over what Planned Parenthood does and the federal government has no business controlling that as long as it's legal. As with all things the federal government gets involved with, it's hard to get it out once in as it creates dependency and political benefits.

"Defunding" Planned Parenthood should mean that the federal government provides no funds to Planned Parenthood and cannot tell it what to do or not do with its own funds.
"Funding" of Planned Parenthood was in the form of payments for services rendered, such as pap smears for women with Medicaid or birth control appointments/prescriptions covered under Title X. It wasn't just "Here's money, go have fun".

By "defunding" Planned Parenthood, it means that they (PP) are no longer able to bill Medicaid for services rendered. Ergo, that Medicaid patient has to either pay out of pocket or find a new provider who accepts their insurance. It means that uninsured patients will have to pay out of pocket or find a new clinic that receives Title X funds.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
I don't understand the abortion debate.

I don't PERSONALLY agree with abortion. It isn't a decision I would make for myself or encourage anyone in my family to do, no matter the circumstances.

But, I understand that like with anything you make illegal, abortion is going to happen to matter what. Whether it's back alley or in a clinic.

The goal for pro-life people should be EDUCATION - SEX education (not just abstinence) and access to birth control options free or very very cheap. People are going to have sex. Human nature. Giving women (especially poor women) access to sex health services helps REDUCE abortions.

Around the world, it is no secret that the most advance and sexually mature places on earth have the lowest abortion rates in the world:

The highest annual rate of abortion in 2010–2014 was in the Caribbean, estimated at 65 per 1,000 women of childbearing age, followed by South America, at 47. The lowest rates were in Northern America, at 17, and Western and Northern Europe—both at 18. Africa is at 34.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The goal for pro-life people should be EDUCATION - SEX education (not just abstinence) and access to birth control options free or very very cheap. People are going to have sex. Human nature. Giving women (especially poor women) access to sex health services helps REDUCE abortions.
Ah, but you see, the goal isn't really to prevent abortion. If it were, they'd be out calling for comprehensive sex education and easy access to birth control and condoms. We already know that works to prevent unwanted pregnancies and abortions, and we already know that preventing education and making birth control harder to get increases unwanted pregnancies.

The pro-life position makes more sense when you realize that it's far less about being pro-life than it is about punishing people for sex. They're more than happy to see additional abortions and additional unwanted children if it means the moms suffer for their pleasure f**king.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
"Funding" of Planned Parenthood was in the form of payments for services rendered, such as pap smears for women with Medicaid or birth control appointments/prescriptions covered under Title X. It wasn't just "Here's money, go have fun".

By "defunding" Planned Parenthood, it means that they (PP) are no longer able to bill Medicaid for services rendered. Ergo, that Medicaid patient has to either pay out of pocket or find a new provider who accepts their insurance. It means that uninsured patients will have to pay out of pocket or find a new clinic that receives Title X funds.
I don't think my point contradicts yours.

My point is

In my opinion, The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood.

I never said PP never did good things for poor women.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Am I right to assume that most of the posters here are too old to reproduce so access to birth control means nothing to them?
bwahahahaha..Never heard of a pharmacy before?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

The federal government does have a business in helping the poor and indigent get some basic level of healthcare, and Planned Parenthood provides some of that healthcare. Diagnosing and treating STD's is a tremendous boon to society, and is one of the services that Planned Parenthood provides. The idea that the millions of people who use Planned Parenthood for non-abortion services can simply go to nearby clinics that are already over-burdened is just ignorant.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

There are a ton more places to go..PP isn't the only place. I don't know a single female that has EVER gone to PP.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The federal government does have a business in helping the poor and indigent get some basic level of healthcare, and Planned Parenthood provides some of that healthcare. Diagnosing and treating STD's is a tremendous boon to society, and is one of the services that Planned Parenthood provides. The idea that the millions of people who use Planned Parenthood for non-abortion services can simply go to nearby clinics that are already over-burdened is just ignorant.
well, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree.

The bold is just ignorant, it is ignorant because I never made such suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies