Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Actually there are a lot of arguments to favor legalization of drugs. Here are just a few basic ones:

1) Prohibition does not work. People wind up getting the drugs anyway.
2) Since the drugs are coming from the street, people OD from them, which rarely happens if they are clean, legal, regulated drugs.
3) As long as they are illegal, they are funding the cartels, which are responsible for more deaths than the drugs themselves.
4) Look at the results of other countries that have decriminalized/legalized, like Portugal. The overall results are favorable.
Sorry, still not convincing arguments to me. But thank you for the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Civil asset forfeiture has been going on for decades. Obviously the ACLU have done nothing to stop it because it continues to this day. Perhaps they have been bought off.
Still haven't read the link, have you?

Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Sorry, still not convincing arguments to me. But thank you for the answer.
You're welcome. But I just don't see how you can ignore #4.

Quote:
4) Look at the results of other countries that have decriminalized/legalized, like Portugal. The overall results are favorable.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
You're welcome. But I just don't see how you can ignore #4.
So Portugal decriminalized but did not make totally legal all drugs. They chose to treat it as a health issue instead. And frankly, not that I don't love being American, but our country can barely tolerate alcohol responsibly in comparison with most Europeans. Perhaps it's a culture thing. Even with Portugal's example, I still am not convinced it's the right answer for us. It does not appear many other countries followed Portugal either so perhaps there is something which sets Portugal apart or not being reported which keeps them from doing so - even those countries who closely align culturally with Portugal.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
I thought it was the job of the ACLU to fight against this kind of thing. You expect me to do their job for them? If I had their 150 million dollar annual budget and an army of lawyers maybe I could.
The ACLU is a non-profit organization that is funded by donations. Unless you're contributing financially or volunteering for them, you don't really have any business criticizing them.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:28 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The ACLU is a non-profit organization that is funded by donations. Unless you're contributing financially or volunteering for them, you don't really have any business criticizing them.
So by your dumb logic Americans don't have the right to criticize Putin or North Korea, since they don't donate money or do volunteer work for them.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
So by your dumb logic Americans don't have the right to criticize Putin or North Korea, since they don't donate money or do volunteer work for them.
I'm sorry. I don't speak monkey.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Wait, do you think the ACLU is a government agency?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm sorry. I don't speak monkey.
You could have fooled me.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
True, and lawmakers love it, any time there is easy revenue coming in they are all for it, constitutional or not, the problem is it is those same lawmakers that would have to end the practice, not gonna happen. This is something the Feds should force an end to or at least the SC, there was good reasons to do this initially but anyone with half a brain knew this was going to be abused, and it has been time and time again.
Ron Paul fought this for years and now his son Rand, is fighting it.
It is not right. The loss of depreciation of the property is not taken into effect, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies