Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,332,753 times

Advertisements

This is the appeal of bitcoin... you have the private key, you control the funds.. there's nothing for them to sieze. Unfortunately it can let real criminals get away with laundering money, but it does have an added bonus of protecting people from crooked police forces out for a score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,337,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This is the appeal of bitcoin... you have the private key, you control the funds.. there's nothing for them to sieze. Unfortunately it can let real criminals get away with laundering money, but it does have an added bonus of protecting people from crooked police forces out for a score.
Not if you have a paid-for house.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:14 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Not if you have a paid-for house.
Good point. Hopefully they change the laws to outlaw this crooked practice when Trump is out of office, because unfortunately I don't think he'll do it. Whenever something smells funny, just follow the money trail and you'll figure out why. In this case the LE and people who enforce these laws are themselves crooked, in my opinion. Just because a law is in place, doesn't mean you have to enforce it. That's why I could never be a cop.

How did something like this ever come to be? What about the 4th amendment? Seems like the constitution is as worthless as the paper it's printed on for all practical purposes.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:18 AM

19,744 posts, read 10,180,303 times
I don't know about now, but a few years ago in West Virginia they were seizing cars and turning them into patrol cars. So you could see almost any make or model of car as a police car.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:20 AM

19,744 posts, read 10,180,303 times
This was allowed by a judge under the civil forfeiture law somehow. This one makes no sense at all.

. The Contemporary ArtInstitute of Detroit’s monthly “Funk Night†party got weird in May of 2008. Theall-night dance party was raging when police burst in around 2 a.m., the Metro Timesreports. Officers alleged theestablishment did not have a license. They passed out loitering tickets andimpounded 40 vehicles just because they were driven to the party. They all gottheir cars back. Oh, except for the one guy who had his car stolen from theimpound lot. Also, they each paid a $900 impound fee, totaling more than$35,000.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,336,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't know about now, but a few years ago in West Virginia they were seizing cars and turning them into patrol cars. So you could see almost any make or model of car as a police car.

I live in WV...I never saw this. I've seen a few turned into unmarked undercover cars.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,337,801 times
Quote:
How did something like this ever come to be? What about the 4th amendment? Seems like the constitution is as worthless as the paper it's printed on for all practical purposes.
The brainwashing which allowed the government to obtain these powers was so successful that most citizens cheered when these laws were implemented. The War on Drugs was on.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,963,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
With the backing of Koch funding, they were able to get New Mexico to abolish civil forfeiture.

It's a state issue.

No it isn't. Someone mentioned local police often use federal law that allows them to seize assets without due process. The practice is a clear violation of civil liberties and US constitution, so the ACLU could sue the federal government. Winning a case at the federal level would lead to a federal law banning the practice. Federal law trumps state law so the states would be barred from doing it as well. Much more efficient than going state by state which is stupid.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,844,146 times
Quote:
Hopefully they change the laws to outlaw this crooked practice when Trump is out of office, because unfortunately I don't think he'll do it.
Sessions is a big fan of civil asset forfeiture just like he is a big fan of 1980's style drug policy so I think you are probably right.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:11 PM

19,752 posts, read 12,315,909 times
Quote:
Good point. Hopefully they change the laws to outlaw this crooked practice when Trump is out of office, because unfortunately I don't think he'll do it. Whenever something smells funny, just follow the money trail and you'll figure out why. In this case the LE and people who enforce these laws are themselves crooked, in my opinion. Just because a law is in place, doesn't mean you have to enforce it. That's why I could never be a cop.

Yes people should not have to find ways around this like bitcoin, it needs to be stopped altogether.

I know some legitimate companies are going to bitcoin or echeck because of being banned from credit card companies. Strange things are happening, and all in the name of "safety".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies