Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I wonder that too.

Are these women so arrogant that they think the tide won't turn and we won't be fighting this here in America.
Sweden is having this problem
Sweden women are getting gang raped by these type of people.
The Swedish men are getting threatened if they go to the authorities on behalf of their women.

I will pitch in some money to send these American women over to these countries that abuse women and girls to let them get a taste of it first hand.

This behavior to Somolian women and girls is happening in the state I live in.
So, we get to see this crap. And use our resources, tax money, police, legal system to try to combat it. And stay ahead of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Please - try have a real conversation with the affected groups if you want to enlighten yourself.

Emmm... I do

Firstly, what feminists defend a religion (any religion's) poor treatment of women ? None that I know do this and I would point out that most religions worldwide display massive bias towards women.

Secondly, in the religion you are criticizing there is NO questioning of practice allowed. This means if you are told to do something or act a certain way you do it without hesitation. YOU have no choice. If you grow up this way for many years it is only natural to defend the practice as part of your culture when you move abroad into a strange/new environment.

We probably feel similar about treatment of women but I don't think the problem is the women themselves or feminists. It is simply that we in the US consider many of these practices backwards cultural/religious rituals. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance and no one in the US is "accepting" them.

Don't worry they are not going to take over. The US is simply too big and too open for any of that to become widespread here - I know this because I see the kids of these immigrants and they are just like any other kids.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It has happened as far as history has been recorded. Other cultures and civilizations come in and take over.
As far as the immigrant kids....you may see this that they are like other kids. I would not be to sure about that. You don't know what goes on when you are away from them. What happens at home. Blood is thicker than water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Women/Feminists are huge supporters/defenders of Islam. But why? If anything they should be fervently against it at all levels. Yet instead they love to go after cisgendered straight western men and talk about all the "evils" they do. Yet for women whatever "evils" they complain the aforementioned do would be a million times worse under Islamic control. I really doubt these women would enjoy being a part of a harem or brutally gang-raped multiple times by men that couldn't care less how they feel about it and a governing body that fully supports it. Yet that is exactly what they are asking for by accepting Islam in any way shape or form.

As a mother with a daughter I vehemently despise everything Islam is, I despise the pedophilic man that created it, those that followed him, and those that follow it, promote it and defend it. I really think any woman that does defend it should be forced to spend a few months living in Saudi Arabia and see just what it would be like if a European Islamic Caliphate were to ever come to pass. In America we get made fun of for having gun-toting rednecks but seeing what is happening in Europe makes me glad we have them.

I am a woman and consider myself a feminist.

As a feminist I believe that women should be able to live their lives the way they see fit and take advantage of all opportunities that they would like to take advantage of.

I am also an atheist and I view all of the world's major religions as oppressive in general to women.

However, due to the blue of my comment, I feel that women should be able to follow any religion that they want to. I also have read the Qu'ran and every book of the Bible and don't think that there are any major ideological differences between Islam and Christianity. Two of the reasons why I rejected Christianity as a child were due to my interpretation of scripture in the Bible:

1. Lot (in the Sodom and Gamorrah story) offered his virgin daughters to be raped by a group of men who were engaging in homosexual sex/behavior - I found that reprehensible
  2. In the book of Ezra, the men were advised to leave their non-Hebrew wives/children because of their lack of adherence to Hebrew religious beliefs.

I read the above very early on in the Bible and it gave me a sour view on Christianity. I read the Bible starting at age 9-10. I read the Qu'ran as a teenager. Neither faiths are better/worse than the other and all of the men back then were oppressive to girls/women and engaged in pedophilia.

FWIW, I have family members who have lived in Saudi Arabia. I have a cousin right now who lives in Kuwait who is a woman. She does not want to come back to the US. She feels they have a higher quality of life where they live.

Just like Christianity has different denominations that are more strict and/or liberal, so does Islam. Too many of you right wingers need to actually read the Qu'ran so you know what you don't like. Taking the words of other people (the black bold above, I've seen multiple times on this forum by right wing posters and I know that that mantra is pushed by conservative media) means that you cannot find out about and think for yourself about what the religion really is about. You'd be surprised IMO if you actually read their scripture.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Please - try have a real conversation with the affected groups if you want to enlighten yourself.

Firstly, what feminists defend a religion (any religion's) poor treatment of women ? None that I know do this and I would point out that most religions worldwide display massive bias towards women.

Secondly, in the religion you are criticizing there is NO questioning of practice allowed. This means if you are told to do something or act a certain way you do it without hesitation. YOU have no choice. If you grow up this way for many years it is only natural to defend the practice as part of your culture when you move abroad into a strange/new environment.

We probably feel similar about treatment of women but I don't think the problem is the women themselves or feminists. It is simply that we in the US consider many of these practices backwards cultural/religious rituals. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance and no one in the US is "accepting" them.

Don't worry they are not going to take over. The US is simply too big and too open for any of that to become widespread here - I know this because I see the kids of these immigrants and they are just like any other kids.
ITA with this post and especially the blue.

I find it odd that so many of you are so afraid of Islam as well.

I grew up with refugees from the Middle East (mostly Lebanon and Persia - Iran/Iraq) and they are not trying to take over the country or force some Islamic law on us. They are still practicing Muslims. The girls didn't wear any sort of head covering and I wouldn't think that their mothers experiences a lot of domestic violence. A majority of them are professional people and are middle income and above and they look like regular white people and they don't do anything that would draw suspicion. FWIW, I bet a large amount of you have a Muslim physician taking care of you for some sort of medical problem. A couple of my old classmates are now physicians and/or dentists.

On domestic violence, it affects all women and even a large amount of men are abused by their wives. Religion, race, or class has no bearing on domestic violence. It is against the law but all types of people engage in it right here in America.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:02 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Right, because it's modern-day Democrats who fight against civil rights and equal opportunity.
You mean "equal outcome".

Old 06-08-2017, 07:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
I'm all for freedom of religion but I see Islam (and some other Jewish & Christian sects) as oppressive to women.

We should keep our government and our mainstream culture secular; we should not let oppressive religious ideas color how we allow ourselves to be governed. Period.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:13 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Depends on your definition of 'so many'. I would say very few Americans support Islam and the importation of it. Only a small minority on the fringe left, who are very vocal and hateful and their pop media allies support such insanity.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
I'm an atheist woman, and I support equal rights for people to believe in whichever imaginary gods they choose, the key word being equal.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Why is it so hard for so many people to understand that supporting freedom of religion (which is tremendously beneficial to us all) does not equate to supporting any particular religion?

Old 06-08-2017, 10:59 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Women should be against any religion no matter what it is.
It's not your place to tell any woman what she should and shouldn't be against.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:56 PM

983 posts, read 738,873 times
This is the kind of crap you get with lots of muslims:

Muslim women not used to drinking walk free after attack on woman - Telegraph

Quote:
The four women - three sisters and their cousin - were told the charge of actual bodily harm, which carries a maximum sentence of five years, against 22-year-old care worker Rhea Page would normally land them in custody.
However, the judge handed the women suspended sentences after hearing that they were not used to alcohol because their religion does not allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies