Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,052,579 times

Advertisements

I'm catholic, but just a thought. What if there was no religion. Would there be peace in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What kind of church do they attend? All the wedding vows I have heard have both parties pledging the same thing, and none of them still have the pledge to obey. They ditched that a long time ago.
It was Evangelical Lutheran. I was quite shocked and defintely not thrilled to hear it but I kept my opinions to myself. This was her church and she chose to be married there so I felt it best to respect her decision. I'd never heard such vows either and wasn't really expecting it from this friend but we hadn't seen each other in a few years.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 AM

143 posts, read 98,750 times
For a while i was also confused by Feminists/women supporting Islam, but as i learned more now everything makes sense. On a smaller/local level this is also why women love bad boy types that beat them up etc. It all goes back to biology.

It seems illogical, but it isn't really.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lol...and you think it's different among liberals/democrats.
Yes I do. If your argument is there are intolerant people in ANY group, I would agree. If your argument is there are AS MANY intolerant people in liberal circles regarding gay people for instance, then explain the battles in red states over LGBT issues.

I'll wait right here.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
For a while i was also confused by Feminists/women supporting Islam, but as i learned more now everything makes sense. On a smaller/local level this is also why women love bad boy types that beat them up etc. It all goes back to biology.

It seems illogical, but it isn't really.
Oh, right, lol.

As a woman, I'm getting less and less tolerant of extremist religion of any kind. I do not support Islamic women covering their heads or walking behind the man or any of the rest of the practices that demean them.

Same as some "Christian" extremists who are poor but won't allow the wife to help out by earning a living, yet go on to have loads of kids, don't have enough food to feed all those kids.

People have to adapt and do what is practical, not cling to centuries old, outdated crazy beliefs. The world changes--adapt and change so that you can survive.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You could say a lot of religions are anti-woman if you read the texts. Look at certain Jewish and Christian groups where women are expected to have baby after baby and that's their entire purpose. How about Mormon sects who marry off young teenage girls to old men?

Plenty of "Christian" men beat their wives every night in this country.
That's true. I wouldn't practice Islam any more than I would be a part of any Christian Fundie church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's not forget that blacks primarily vote for the party of slavery and Jim Crow.
And, today, that would be the conservatives who now make up the Republican party.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:25 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It was Evangelical Lutheran. I was quite shocked and defintely not thrilled to hear it but I kept my opinions to myself. This was her church and she chose to be married there so I felt it best to respect her decision. I'd never heard such vows either and wasn't really expecting it from this friend but we hadn't seen each other in a few years.
Eh, some people get married at the family church. It doesn't necessarily mean they will live by the tenants of the church. I've never heard of evangelical Lutherans. Most of the Lutherans around here seem pretty moderate.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:34 PM

800 posts, read 508,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingfi View Post
Hasn't it always been common for women to sleep with and otherwise support men from invading armies? Such as in WWII a lot of women in German-occupied areas freely joined, slept with and supported Nazi soldiers/officers and such.
Correct. I think its largely a biological survival mechanism. Better to smile at and sleep with the invaders and have a good chance of living, than it is to try to to fight a man and die. Plus, its a naturally masculine trait to display violence, strength, and force, which invading soldiers have in abundance. So at a primitive level they can be very attractive to the woman as well. So yeah, unlike men, a woman's first instinct is not to fight and eliminate an invading threat. This difference in attitude between the 2 genders can be found in abundance in western Europe at the moment. Many European men may be rather soft or feminine but the instinct to repel an unwanted force I think still lives deep inside them. But with their PC climate they can't hardly even admit it, let alone bring action to the issue.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:23 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Eh, some people get married at the family church. It doesn't necessarily mean they will live by the tenants of the church. I've never heard of evangelical Lutherans. Most of the Lutherans around here seem pretty moderate.
It's none of my business whether she lives by the tenets or just said the vows because the church requires them. The point is, I personally would never say such vows and don't support the idea that the man is the head of household and the woman should submit but I absolutely support her right under the constitution to attend this church and say whatever vows she wishes. We weren't that close so I never asked if she actually believed that **** or not.

Evangelical Lutheran is significantly different than "regular" Lutheran, it's more of a fundamentalist church. The vow to submit to the man is required of women being married at one of their churches.

Last edited by detshen; 06-10-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Women should be against any religion no matter what it is.
Yup.

There is basically zero big religion that is woman-friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies