Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:45 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,648,232 times

Advertisements

Mattis: ‘We are not winning in Afghanistan’

McCain, got rather upset with Mattis arguing that the USA needs a new plan fast.

Quote:
Mattis conceded that “We are not winning in Afghanistan right now” and pledged that “we will correct this as soon as possible.”

“I believe by mid-July, we’ll be able to brief you in detail,” Mattis added. “We’re putting it together now and ... there are actions being taken to make certain that we don’t pay a price for the delay. But we recognize the need for urgency, and your criticism is fair.”

Mattis: ‘We are not winning in Afghanistan’ - POLITICO

WE are 16 years into this war, we are clearly not winning, and we are breeding more opponents not less.
Afghans don't seem to be deeply motivated to fight hard and certainly not willing to enter a large scale conflict whatever about defending lands held.

WE have tried just about everything the US public is willing to accept
We are not grinding anyone down.
We are not prepared to fight Pakistan.
This war is unwinnable in its current form.
Is it time to just leave?

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...tan-right-now/

https://www.rferl.org/a/mattis-congr.../28546864.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:51 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,122,541 times
It's been time to leave.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It's been time to leave.

i am thinking this is something that the left and right should try to come together on and get some results.

We keep saying "time to leave " and yet nothing happens because both parties are afraid to be seen as "weak".

maybe it is up to the public to make this an issue that both parties could agree on and end this war that we will never really win.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:16 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,424,843 times
Hell, yes, it's time to leave!
Afghanistan has been run over by occupiers for at least 2,000 years. It was the end of Alexander the Great, the Persians, the Hindus, the Orientals, and a dozen 'modern' Western occupiers, going all the way back to the Middle Ages.

The country is so mountainous that living there is like living in one small valley only. It's so hard to go over the mountain to the next valley that the country has always been nothing but a slapped-together imitation of a nation. It has always been ruled by warlords who are the toughest bully in the valley, and always will be.

I have to give the United States one thing; when it comes to defeat, we are the most stubborn bunch ever.

Even the Russians who are pretty danged stubborn, gave up after only 10 years of getting their butts kicked there.

Now, we've beaten their record in Afghanistan by a long shot, but there is never going to be any way in the world America can make an Afghanistan in our own image. The longer we stay, the more of our boys will die there.

When we leave, the biggest bullies in the valleys will take back over, and the fight among themselves will start back up again. That's the way they do it in Afghanistan, and they've done it that way for a long, long, long time.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,833,531 times
How can we not be "winning" in Afghanistan? I thought Trump was winning at everything.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:20 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,496,641 times
It's years too late to leave but better late than never.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hell, yes, it's time to leave!
Afghanistan has been run over by occupiers for at least 2,000 years. It was the end of Alexander the Great, the Persians, the Hindus, the Orientals, and a dozen 'modern' Western occupiers, going all the way back to the Middle Ages.

The country is so mountainous that living there is like living in one small valley only. It's so hard to go over the mountain to the next valley that the country has always been nothing but a slapped-together imitation of a nation. It has always been ruled by warlords who are the toughest bully in the valley, and always will be.

I have to give the United States one thing; when it comes to defeat, we are the most stubborn bunch ever.

Even the Russians who are pretty danged stubborn, gave up after only 10 years of getting their butts kicked there.

Now, we've beaten their record in Afghanistan by a long shot, but there is never going to be any way in the world America can make an Afghanistan in our own image. The longer we stay, the more of our boys will die there.

When we leave, the biggest bullies in the valleys will take back over, and the fight among themselves will start back up again. That's the way they do it in Afghanistan, and they've done it that way for a long, long, long time.
the cynic in me says supply the various tribes with weapons so that they focus on killing each other for the next fifty years instead of focusing anger on the USA. Of course that is evil and we should not do it, but it is so hard to see how we get out of there as long as both the GOP and DEMs are afriad to admit we have failed and that even if we win we will win very little.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:27 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,693,871 times
Yes we need to leave Afghanistan so the terrorists can have a save haven to endlessly plan attacks on America. America needs to be punished for all its pasted sins.
I must admitted I'm more liberal than I thought but I see no way to win anything there when I put on my conservative hat. McCain wants war with everyone and will promote it with his last breath.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
What exactly were we suppose to win to start with? There never was a point from the beginning. The excuse was OBL but he quickly left. Did we pursue him? No, we stayed spinning our wheels while wasting trillions of dollars.

Who benefited from this? No one other than Wall Street. We sacrificed our sons and daughters along with who knows how many other innocent lives to prop up Wall Street.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What exactly were we suppose to win to start with? There never was a point from the beginning. The excuse was OBL but he quickly left. Did we pursue him? No, we stayed spinning our wheels while wasting trillions of dollars.

Who benefited from this? No one other than Wall Street. We sacrificed our sons and daughters along with who knows how many other innocent lives to prop up Wall Street.
I really agree with you here.

There has to be a way we can make exiting our wars particularly Afghanistan a cross party bi partisan issue.

maybe getting some of the most extreme groups from the left and right to join up for a protest? Get them in full on hate costumes but walking side by side to prove to both parties it is in their interest to end this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies