Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 AM

19,672 posts, read 12,260,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
There are extremists for any issue; I wander my way through MGTOW forums sometimes (basically one subset of Men's Rights Activists) to marvel at the ideas they hold. It mars and mangles some of their more sensible ideas like the fact that divorce and custody laws need some study and revamping. Judging all men by MGTOWs would be asinine, as many/most men are reasonable people. The same is true for feminism. Don't judge all women wanting to be equal by the fervent extremists that you see.
Feminism means something different now and to many of us it does look radical. It was that p***y march and women cheering for Madonna blowing up the white house and that crazy Judd woman screeching about bloody sheets. It is women pumping up their bodies to look like a pro wrestler and crying angrily when men are not attracted to them. It is forcing advertisements to be removed because it makes them "feew bad" about themselves. It is a big strong female veteran stealing classified government info and planning on crying in court and braiding her hair to play on being a girl. Really? THAT is what suffragists fought for?

REAL feminists needs to separate from them and they are not doing it. Hillary using identity politics to try to get elected was at the top of the heap. It is shameful to EXPLOIT feminism in such a way.

MGTOWS are really fringe, modern neo-feminists are mainstream. They are going to overstay their welcome and it will be bad for all women. They are so far gone they prefer ISLAM to those who would preserve the western society and culture that allowed them the freedom they enjoy today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM

36,582 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Yeah, this is getting old. He can just go live with the Amish since they seem cool to him and leave everyone else to be equal people.
Me thinks he would have a rude awakening. I dont think some people realize that where women fall into a more submissive gender role men are also expected to fulfill their defined roles. It would be curious to see how many men could walk in the shoes of a good Amish husband and father who is expected to be the sole financial provider, teacher and economic, social and spiritual leader of the family. Anyone who is a parent, especially a single parent, knows it is much more difficult to be the one responsible for the well being and future well being of others than it is to a partner to an equally responsible person.

I believe some men forget that feminism has also lifted a great burden from the shoulders of men, made their lives easier and given them freedoms as well.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,326,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I see the era of inequality between men and women as being what was socially engineered. Mans law is the driving force behind inequality be it between genders, race or religion. In our history women have been as capable and sometimes more so in basic survival, decision making, running governments and kingdoms, commanding soldiers and warfare strategy, engineering, discoveries, etc. It may not be evident as many women never got the credit for great acts and many had to act discreetly by advising men from the shadows.

This is nothing new nor is it limited to women.
I'll respond to this part of your post, because I think the first part has been addressed in other comments.

Your first paragraph here is basically the standard "behind every great man, there is a great woman" feminist trope. I'm not sure if there is any convincing archeological or scientific evidence to prove it, so I guess it's a matter of speculation.

Body image disorders have been characterized since the late 1800s, but it was in the 1970s and 1980s that it exploded, epidemiologically. This is a New York Times article from around that time, describing this apparently new trend:

New York Times | News Cache, December 8 1985

Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think whenever people talk about this, they need to make a distinction between modern feminism and feminism from a few years ago. Many people opposed to modern feminism could have described themselves as feminists decades ago. Many people opposed to modern feminism would be thrilled for more women to get careers in engineering. They often just don't like the blame everything on the patriarchy attitude. They notice how men who are abused in relationships get laughed at. They also notice how so much of society is still focused on bettering women, when there are slightly more female college graduates than male college graduates. They notice how people complain about the wage gap, when the vast majority of that wage gap is just due to different career preferences.
Modern feminism is the issue because it's become political. They say that it's for the equality of all individuals but blame everything on the patriarchy - the same patriarchy that punishes men harder for crimes, the one that favors women when it comes to divorce and custody, the one that actually has women in their 20s & 30s making more than their male counterparts, etc. Feminism was absolutely necessary in the past to get where we are now, but today's feminists are being disingenuous when it comes to the real issues.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 AM

225 posts, read 216,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because some human beings are better off being denied the freedom to pursue their own interests, to develop their talents, abilities and skills to the fullest, to merit the respect of other human beings as a capable, competent and valuable member of the human race. The argument is that the world is better off if 50% of us are subservient to 50% of the rest of us. And that argument only has merit to a few of the 50% who wouldn't be subservient, who feel that they would personally be better off if superiority were based on possession of a penis.
Non sequitur.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,806,102 times
Quote:
There are extremists for any issue; I wander my way through MGTOW forums sometimes (basically one subset of Men's Rights Activists) to marvel at the ideas they hold. It mars and mangles some of their more sensible ideas like the fact that divorce and custody laws need some study and revamping. Judging all men by MGTOWs would be asinine, as many/most men are reasonable people. The same is true for feminism. Don't judge all women wanting to be equal by the fervent extremists that you see.
We're not talking about men, you obviously don't even know what MGTOW or MRA is anyway they aren't "extremists", it's mostly just a life philosophy and ideology. However they're a direct response to radical feminists and the war on men partially. They created it.

Attempt to defer I see. Again we're not talking about men.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
Non sequitur.
Hardly, since that is the premise of what that poster is advocating should happen, going back to 19th century life.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
We're not talking about men, you obviously don't even know what MGTOW or MRA is anyway, they were a direct response to radical feminists and the war on men partially.

Attempt to defer I see.

Again we're not talking about men.
I brought them up merely as a contrast to the example. Not all feminists are extreme, and not all men are MGTOWs. (Thank goodness on both counts) I do know what they are, thank you.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

REAL feminists needs to separate from them and they are not doing it. Hillary using identity politics to try to get elected was at the top of the heap. It is shameful to EXPLOIT feminism in such a way.
I agree with this.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM

225 posts, read 216,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Perhaps you misread.

I think he's wrong that all women would be happier as a domestic housewife and property of a man.
I think he's wrong to tell women that they would be happier as domestic housewives and property of men.

Proof?

-waves- Hi. I'm a woman and I prefer being able to do things like working a job I love, owning my own property, and having the legal authority to make decisions without have to defer final judgement to anyone else. I love that my financial status is not tied to someone else's ability to make money. I appreciate that if something were to happen to my husband that I would not be destitute.

But hey, there are pages of posts in this very thread of women saying that they are happier and better off in their current position than if they were forced to play housewife. Ignoring that is, at best, intellectual dishonesty.

If dudebro thinks we'd be happier and better off as housewives, it's up to him to prove why we should quit our jobs today/tomorrow and become Amish-esque. So please, by all means, prove to me that I would be happier and better off by giving up my job, ownership of my houses, and having to sell the nicer one (because my husband's salary alone could not afford it). Tell me why I'd be happier and better off as a domestic housewife. I'm all ears.
So you have a sample of -one- (maybe half a dozen if you include the other happy feminists here).

He has a meta-analysis with sample sizes in the tens of thousands.

Sure that's convincing evidence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies