Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then those Americans are wrong not to do so. They should assimilate out in mainstream of the countries they chose to migrate to. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Can't help how the past has affected the future. We can't change it. The point is that those of us alive today had nothing to do with the past. Move on instead of playing victim today.
Yes, we can make positive changes for our future when we realize the past still plays a role in today's world. I will never understand why people believe history doesn't affect us today. As far as Americans not assimilating completely, that is totally normal. And you know what? Other people in other countries don't care!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Again who's "we"? Those people are all dead now. If you don't like our politics today then I suggest you move to another country of your choice. Throughout history lands and people have been conquered. It's not just something akin to America. By the way, what about those Spanish Conquistadores? Hmm.
I'd love to move to another country. Trust me, if I could afford it, we'd be outta here. Especially with today's political climate.

Those people might be dead but their actions still affect us to this day.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:37 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, we can make positive changes for our future when we realize the past still plays a role in today's world. I will never understand why people believe history doesn't affect us today. As far as Americans not assimilating completely, that is totally normal. And you know what? Other people in other countries don't care!!!

I didn't say that. Reading comprehension, much? I said we can't change the past. Why is not assimilating out in mainstream considered to be normal and by whom....you? I don't care what culture and language ones chooses in the privacy of their own homes nor do I object to ethnic "business" neighborhoods. You're wrong, the citizens of other countries do care when foreigners migrate to their countries permanently and make no attempt to fit in but expect to be pandered to instead.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:39 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'd love to move to another country. Trust me, if I could afford it, we'd be outta here. Especially with today's political climate.

Those people might be dead but their actions still affect us to this day.

How so and what do you expect should be done about it?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Then those Americans are wrong not to do so. They should assimilate out in mainstream of the countries they chose to migrate to. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I know you're ignoring me because you were triggered by my use of a word brought to the Americas by Europeans that has been spoken in the area of America that I live in longer than English has, but I can continue to point out the vapidness of your arguments.

I think we'll both agree that you, being an American of European descent, and I, being an American of European descent, are different culturally.

You expect Americans living abroad to assimilate to the "mainstream" culture.
You expect immigrants to Aamerica to assimilate to the "mainstream" culture.
Do you also expect me to eat different foods, listen to different music, enjoy different art, go to different movies in public than I do at home because of your contrived reasoning?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Switzerland - this small but dynamic country has a higher standard of living AND better healthcare than the US. Switzerland is divided into 4 different language and cultural areas - French-speaking, German, Italian, and even Romansh (an ancient language derived from the Latin of Caesar's time). The Swiss have a direct democracy - one of the oldest democracies in the world. Too bad we're not more like them.

The Four Corners (USA) - we are a very diverse and multicultural part of the US (you should visit us sometime). We are Anglo, Hispanic, Ute, and Navajo. Local radio stations broadcast in all 4 languages. Tourists come in vast numbers to visit Mesa Verde National Park for its famous cliff dwellings (probably built by the ancestors of today's Zuni and Hopi tribes (also a part of our diverse and intriguing part of the country). We have cowboys and Indians; ranchers and retirees; tourists and farmers, and we all get along just fine.

The American Colonies - a hodgepodge of gentry from Britain (mostly younger sons looking to acquire land in the New World); street urchins from London and Edinburgh; Germans seeking a place where they would be allowed freedom to practice their own religion - now today's Amish and Mennonites; indentured servents; true believers and agnostics. Jefferson was an agnostic, BTW. Somehow this "rabble in arms" came together and created our great country.

My mother was an immigrant. On my father's side, I can trace my family back to Massachusetts in the 1600's, and I ain't going down some petulant con's rabbit hole. If you want to step through the looking glass and live with a people who are completely homogenous and do not allow outsiders of any type, not ever - I suggest you buy yourself a nice five acre ranchette in N. Korea and don't let the door hit your rear parts on your way out.
Speaking of letting the door hit your ass on the way out, if you glorify Switzerland so much, go there. I'm sick and tired of Americans whining that we aren't some other country. Get the hell out and go to that other country.

The American Colonies: Britain, German, "urchins" from London and Edinburgh, Amish, Mennonties, Irish, religious and non...you're still talking about all white people.

The OP isn't talking about European immigrants from the past, ffs. He's talking about completely different cultures altogether. It's NOT like North Korea because people in this country already believe it.

No, not just white people, people already segregate themselves. People already try to live with their own kind. People already hang out with their own kind. There is NOTHING wrong with that!

If you are white and you prefer European culture over others, there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm white. I'm proud to be white. I love my European heritage.

If that causes you or anyone else to leak a few thousand tears and label me some idiotic name because you hate white people, seek therapy.

If you are black and you prefer either African or Haitian (wherever your family comes from) culture, there is nothing wrong with that. If someone is black and proud and loves their heritage, it's NOT wrong no matter how many tears someone wants to spill over it.

If you are Hispanic or Latino and you prefer Mexican or Cuban or Puerto Rican or one of the several countries in S. America, etc culture, there is nothing wrong with that. If you are Hispanic/Latino and love your heritage, it is NOT wrong no matter how much crying someone does about it.

If you're Asian and you prefer Chinese, or Korean, or Japanese, or Vietnamese, or Mongolian, etc, there is nothing wrong with that. If you are proud to be Asian, and you prefer your heritage, it is NOT wrong no matter how much boohooing someone does over it.

People segregate themselves already.

Go to Anytown, USA and you will see that people segregate themselves already. Do not force people to live where they don't want to live just to make some liberal ******* feel better about themselves.

I keep asking the left why they think the "brown people" need their protection, and I keep asking them, wth they mean by "brown people" but none of them will ever respond.

European countries have their history. Tearing that history down to appease crybaby ******* in the liberal party is not acceptable. The United States has its own history. Tearing that history down to appease crybaby ******* in the liberal party is not acceptable.

In this country, you are American or you are not. You're not hyphenated American. You're not some other country first and then American, you are a fricken American. End. If you don't want to identify as an American, or you want to gush over some other country over America, then get the F out of this country.

Tearing down the history of a country and telling people that they do not have the right to be proud of their race, proud of their culture, proud of their heritage is political correct BULL****.

Watching Europe be torn apart by a bunch of invaders in order to appease some crybaby ***** on the left and their guilt for being white pisses me off.

Having some jackass tell me that I'm not allowed to be proud to be white nor proud of my Irish, English, and Italian ancestry (and the very, very, very, very tiny drop of Choctaw) pisses me off.

Screw politcal correctness. The sooner the left stops pretending to be the hero to "brown people" (and this is a whole other topic..the fact that you would dismiss people's heritage and culture and lump them all in to one class as if they are objects and not actual people...jfc how gdmned bigoted can the left get?), the sooner we can all just get on with living how we want.

Stop forcing people to do what they don't want to do.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You know what I never read about? How do Sunni and Shia Muslims get along with each other in the US and in Western Europe? Anybody ever read anything about that one way or the other?
They are the same culture. And they got along for a very long time. It's almost like asking how the Repubs and Dems get along with each other in a different country.

https://www.cfr.org/peace-conflict-a...vide/p33176#!/

A better comparison would be: How do Muslims and Christians get along in the US and Western Europe.

Here's there history...as they, too, at one time, got along just fine:

http://religion.oxfordre.com/view/10...199340378-e-11

This is left leaning as hell, as they spout "muh Crusades" in there but don't take the time to discuss WHY the Crusades happened in the first place. They also go heavy on why Christians don't like Muslims and go light on why Muslims don't like Christians. Still, if you can get past that bs, you can see that eventually, as with the Sunni and Shia, it's not working out. Someone put it earlier - there's always going to be a power struggle...and that is what we are seeing in the world right now, and in our country right now. And for those who don't see it in our country right now, between races and cultures, and who can be honest that you don't get to pin everything on "white people", then you are not, by any means, paying any attention beyond what your tv tells you and your front door. I've got all kinds of pics to show you from antifa that you all dismiss as nothing serious and/or not affecting how people see the left just because you're not part of it. It isn't just about prevening Milo from speaking. These people are actual terrorists.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:43 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If you don't want to identify as an American, or you want to gush over some other country over America, then get the F out of this country.

the sooner we can all just get on with living how we want.

jfc how gdmned bigoted can the left get?

Stop forcing people to do what they don't want to do.
So, to paraphrase:
  • People should live how they want.
  • Argh! Liberals!
  • If you don't feel like I feel, GTFO
Is that about right?

I'm shocked (#notshocked) that this rant completely contradicts itself.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
So, to paraphrase:
  • People should live how they want.
  • Argh! Liberals!
  • If you don't feel like I feel, GTFO
Is that about right?

I'm shocked (#notshocked) that this rant completely contradicts itself.
I'm not shocked that you fail reading comprehension.

Don't force people to live together.
Liberals are idiots.
If you don't like America, GTFO.

Duh.

Stick with your prostitution and baseball threads.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Speaking of letting the door hit your ass on the way out, if you glorify Switzerland so much, go there. I'm sick and tired of Americans whining that we aren't some other country. Get the hell out and go to that other country.
::genuflecting::

From your lips to God's ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies