Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,952,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is also gives the bigots no more excuses. Said persons will have to admit their hatred.

Confederate Sharia laws did more than cling to the Confederate raison d'etre. It prevented Blacks from assimilating and becoming American to the fullest. It put the South far behind.

And it goes to more than just the South. People who immigrated here came, and found it hard to become fully American. It varies from informal discrimination to policies targeting an ethnic group, such as what happened to Japanese-Americans.
Confederate Sharia forces prevented all American people from fully assimilating into American society, black folks were hurt the most, although I agree with you, the former Confederate States 'cut off the nose to spite the face' by failing to assimilate. Public education, libraries, the arts, etc. were stagnant before the War & the reaction towards reconstruction plus the assassination of the American Civil War President, Mr. Lincoln, certainly contributed as factors to explain what "put the former States of the Confederacy far behind".

All of these factors set the stage for future policies targeting groups based on Country of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Or better yet, said persons should just admit what is really on their minds.
Hailing from NY I get what you're saying ~ it's preferable to know where someone is coming from rather the 'beating around the bush' ~ dammit just come out with it already!

Perhaps this is just a cultural preference however that 'Southern hospitality' when it's not sincere is annoying. Sometimes it seems as if some folks don't really mean it with all that 'come back & see us sometime'. Particularly when one feels the knives in the back when walking out the door.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I have to wonder if some people on here worrying about the evils of multiculturalism and diversity, at least in their mind, is causing them to stay up all night.

You just need to chill, be happy!!!!!
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess most of the people who go on the racist/xenophobic/ethnocentric rants here rarely or never interact with someone who isn't the same race/religion/national origin/sexual orientation as them.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,131,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Switzerland - this small but dynamic country has a higher standard of living AND better healthcare than the US. Switzerland is divided into 4 different language and cultural areas - French-speaking, German, Italian, and even Romansh (an ancient language derived from the Latin of Caesar's time). The Swiss have a direct democracy - one of the oldest democracies in the world. Too bad we're not more like them.

The Four Corners (USA) - we are a very diverse and multicultural part of the US (you should visit us sometime). We are Anglo, Hispanic, Ute, and Navajo. Local radio stations broadcast in all 4 languages. Tourists come in vast numbers to visit Mesa Verde National Park for its famous cliff dwellings (probably built by the ancestors of today's Zuni and Hopi tribes (also a part of our diverse and intriguing part of the country). We have cowboys and Indians; ranchers and retirees; tourists and farmers, and we all get along just fine.

The American Colonies - a hodgepodge of gentry from Britain (mostly younger sons looking to acquire land in the New World); street urchins from London and Edinburgh; Germans seeking a place where they would be allowed freedom to practice their own religion - now today's Amish and Mennonites; indentured servents; true believers and agnostics. Jefferson was an agnostic, BTW. Somehow this "rabble in arms" came together and created our great country.

My mother was an immigrant. On my father's side, I can trace my family back to Massachusetts in the 1600's, and I ain't going down some petulant con's rabbit hole. If you want to step through the looking glass and live with a people who are completely homogenous and do not allow outsiders of any type, not ever - I suggest you buy yourself a nice five acre ranchette in N. Korea and don't let the door hit your rear parts on your way out.
You forgot the Dutch in New Amsterdam, a polyglot city. New Amsterdam was built on free trade too.

Speaking of the Netherlands, the Netherlands is also a multicultural country with constituent components in Europe and the Caribbean (ABC & BES islands). Dutch, English, Frisian, and Papiamento (Dutch Caribbean Creole) are all official languages. European Dutch students learn Dutch, English, and Frisian while Caribbean Dutch students learn Dutch, English, and Papiamento.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,751,153 times
The only perfectly peaceful and cooperative societal unit is the individual. The moment that more than one person must interact with another, conflict arises due to the fact that no two human beings have the same exact interests, beliefs, and desires. The more people involved, the more natural human diversity exists, the more conflict that exists between them. So the larger and more diverse that a "society" becomes, the more conflict that naturally arises.

Of course it is not ALL bad. Some diversity allows access to the strengths of some individuals and provides those strengths to all.

But the idea that diversity is always good is a complete bit of nonsense. The larger effect will always be to create more conflict and to destroy individual freedom. Unless that society follows a non-aggression principle. But there is no "society" which follows the non-aggression principle which has a government. Government by definition, is an institution of aggression.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:37 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,131,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess most of the people who go on the racist/xenophobic/ethnocentric rants here rarely or never interact with someone who isn't the same race/religion/national origin/sexual orientation as them.
^ this

Studies have indicated that most racists have very little, if any contact with the people that they hate on. Let me tell you, exposure to Blacks, Hispanics, immigrants, Muslims, etc has broadened my views and made my life much, much better and more interesting. Lots of beautiful women too! Amazing food as well. What's not to like? You got good food, hot women, exotic cultures. Those are all good things in my book.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:41 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Immigration is voluntary, not forced. Anarchists have to defend completely open borders, but most won't because they don't actually believe in no government.
I don't believe in borders except where my body ends and your body ends and his body ends, etc.

People can move freely as long as they do not initiate force on others.

Under involuntary government immigration is forced to the extent that different States accept/deny folks based on arbitrary rules.

If I'm not initiating force and a man comes on my property I'm allowed to defend myself. If his strength is too overwhelming and I don't want to die I have every right to flee my property and find somewhere else to live as long as that land is not owned by another.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The issue isn't multiculturalism and/or diversity in itself.

It's forced association/creating these paradigms through statist schemes such as immigration policies that causes problems.

The human trafficking exhibited by the world's governments, including the U.S., is only meant to divide and conquer the serfs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The only perfectly peaceful and cooperative societal unit is the individual. The moment that more than one person must interact with another, conflict arises due to the fact that no two human beings have the same exact interests, beliefs, and desires. The more people involved, the more natural human diversity exists, the more conflict that exists between them. So the larger and more diverse that a "society" becomes, the more conflict that naturally arises.

Of course it is not ALL bad. Some diversity allows access to the strengths of some individuals and provides those strengths to all.

But the idea that diversity is always good is a complete bit of nonsense. The larger effect will always be to create more conflict and to destroy individual freedom. Unless that society follows a non-aggression principle. But there is no "society" which follows the non-aggression principle which has a government. Government by definition, is an institution of aggression.
Nirvana fallacy? Or mental masturbatory circle jerk?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

Urban Dictionary: Mental Masturbation

Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM

1,323 posts, read 591,239 times
The OP seems to have retreated, but I'm curious to know who would make up his
/her ideal homogeneous society.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
One minute you're quoting Walt Whitman the next minute you're berating us for a principled-based standard for living.

C'mon Chi. I pay my taxes. Doesn't that give me the "right" to complain?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies