Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
That's a good thing. I don't have to read the National Enquirer, Globe, Star, etc. etc. etc. to know that they are full of nothing but rubbish.
The supermarket tabloid, National Enquirer endorsed Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 03:51 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
There is no way this could possibly be fake news. It came from Zero Hedge.

New York Times Employees Walk Out As Layoffs Loom | HuffPost

Get a clue, Google is your friend.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump is fond of referring to the NYT as being Mexico- owned.

His base has a tendency to parrot whatever he says. Some don't know any better. Some know and ignore it because they view their purpose as spreading fake news that supports their ideology.

I cannot, for the life of me, wrap my head around people whose self esteem is dictated by partisanship. Sad. Really, really sad.
The truth is that Carlos Slim owns 17.4% of the paper. Waldo wouldn't never admit that though. It wouldn't fit his agenda against anything that isn't Bretbart or Zero Hedge.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:52 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Get a clue, I was making fun of Waldo using Zero Hedge. I had already read about it before Waldo or you posted about it.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
OP - You, like Bent Bow, are one of my most reliable sources of information on what the RW is worrying about. It seems the NYT is doing editorially and financially better than ever. I can see why you folks are getting worried as your carefully created reality is splitting at the seams.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:55 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Get a clue, I was making fun of Waldo using Zero Hedge. I had already read about it before Waldo or you posted about it.
Sarcasm doesn't translate to text. You know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - You, like Bent Bow, are one of my most reliable sources of information on what the RW is worrying about. It seems the NYT is doing editorially and financially better than ever. I can see why you folks are getting worried as your carefully created reality is splitting at the seams.
They're doing better than ever? 2008 $50 stock, 2017 $17 stock. Overstatement much, or alternate reality you?

Old 06-29-2017, 03:57 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
Quote:
It's down pennies today. I didn't bother to look at your daily quote, but it was a $50 stock just 10 years ago. Now, $17. THAT is not a good profile for a benchmark company.

SEARS/JC Penny is to B&M retail what NYT/WAPO is to publishing. The only thing that saved it from going bankrupt in 2009 was the election of Obama. Now they're trying to keep the magic going by being 100% against this administration. It's a very thin business model.

They're dead, but just don't know it yet.

It's easy for a partisan to see others partisanship and hard for them to see their own. (hint)

You're not partisan at all... you just hate Trump.
Ny times stock price is probably going to end up in the single digits, its a terrible stock to own

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
Indeed, the NYT is restructuring and staff is protesting the changes. Staff hate changes.

The Times has far more editors relative to reporters or to the number of stories we publish than any of our traditional print peers or our newer digital rivals,” they added. “After this restructuring, we will continue to invest far more in editing than any of our competitors do.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/b...test-cuts.html

Are they "failing"? There's no evidence of that except in the minds of a certain sort.
But, but, but Trump said so. It must be true.

The NYT thing is nothing more than restructuring the business model to digital news.

Corporate Amercia has been offering buyouts to its most senior people for decades. When enough don't bite, layoffs follow. Corporations that fail to right size for changing markets don't survive.

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Personal attack. This means you can't address the fact that the NY Times is failing. i.e. Laying off staff, selling off assets, getting rid of floorspace.
The Houston Chronicle and the Dallas morning news sold off their old buildings to move into different quarters. The Chronicle owned 2 buildings.

Do they need a floor of darkrooms when the photos are all on computers, now? No need to store negatives.

My daily makes enough money on it's website to pay for running the printing plant of 5 papers.
Wake up. Papers are changing. They are not going away. They know us old poops like the feel of newsprint with our morning coffee enough to pay them $500 a year. The younger people still pay to read it on the internet.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It's down pennies today. I didn't bother to look at your daily quote, but it was a $50 stock just 10 years ago. Now, $17. THAT is not a good profile for a benchmark company.

SEARS/JC Penny is to B&M retail what NYT/WAPO is to publishing. The only thing that saved it from going bankrupt in 2009 was the election of Obama. Now they're trying to keep the magic going by being 100% against this administration. It's a very thin business model.

They're dead, but just don't know it yet.

It's easy for a partisan to see others partisanship and hard for them to see their own. (hint)

You're not partisan at all... you just hate Trump.
I preferred Kasich. I voted for Trump. I did not drink the Kool-aid.

I voted for Obama twice and Bush 2 before him.

I do not attribute my good, bad or otherwise to any president.

Never voted a straight ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies