Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I wonder why the NYTimes is getting rid of over 1/2 of their Editors - they are apparently (according to the Leftists) doing quite well. Why the staff reduction if everything is better than Hunky-Dory??

Love the "protest" signs ...... "No Editors - No Peace".
NYT is a legacy print media company. Their bread and butter has always been ad revenue. In those times past they could afford to be top heavy.

The Internet/ digital media changed the business model and substantially reduced ad revenue for all print media.

So many media jobs can now be performed by contractors, not FTE with pensions and other benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 04:17 PM

10,100 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You really play the "personal attack" card a lot. I think you are too sensitive for POC forum. You might want to take a leave of absence.
Be careful - she'll take your criticism ("too sensitive") and "suggestion" as a personal attack as well.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sarcasm doesn't translate to text. You know that.

They're doing better than ever? 2008 $50 stock, 2017 $17 stock. Overstatement much, or alternate reality you?
November it was a tad over 10. Trumps been great for their stock!

Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You really play the "personal attack" card a lot. I think you are too sensitive for POC forum. You might want to take a leave of absence.
Common tactic to use by some folks, they claim injury for the slightest thing to try and get others banned. Its often surprisingly effective, and by banning the most vocal critics they can easier "redpill" a forum.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
November it was a tad over 10. Trumps been great for their stock!
It was $4 in 2009 so Obama was really good for them as well. We'll see what happens. Maybe they can downsize more, they already sold their building and leased back 7 floors, and build a bottom line. Right now they're in the red, so downsizing is the smart thing to do. Again, we'll see in the coming years what happens.

Keep in mind this country is conservative leaning in general, so they have effectively cut half their market out by being so blatantly partisan. If I were running a paper I'd try to play to the entire audience. Politics aside, the bottom line is the bottom line.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:23 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It was $4 in 2009 so Obama was really good for them as well. We'll see what happens. Maybe they can downsize more, they already sold their building and leased back 7 floors, and build a bottom line. Right now they're in the red, so downsizing is the smart thing to do. Again, we'll see in the coming years what happens.

Keep in mind this country is conservative leaning in general, so they have effectively cut half their market out by being so blatantly partisan. If I were running a paper I'd try to play to the entire audience. Politics aside, the bottom line is the bottom line.
Red? Latest financials showed black. Do they lean left? Yes on the editorial section. But what news source is bipartisan? Look at the ney York post. Flagrantly right. Let's be honest. There is money in echo chambers. You yourself I believe said you no longer subscribe. Not your Eco chamber.

Last edited by vacoder; 06-29-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 05:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
he owns 16.8% of the stock...thats not mexican owned. LOL.
WK uses the one drop rule.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

The Mexican owned blog called the NY Times is falling apart.
When the New York Times later dug up allegations of Trump’s sexual harassment, he claimed reporters were acting as “corporate lobbyists for Carlos Slim,” a reference to his 17 percent holding in the newspaper company, the biggest individual shareholder.

Seventeen percent is less than 100 percent...FYI

Old 06-29-2017, 06:29 PM

30,268 posts, read 23,751,941 times
"Mexican owned blog..."

You crack me up, WaldoKitty.

What's funnier is the left's reaction to your colorful description of the NYTimes.

Must be hitting the mark.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"Mexican owned blog..."

You crack me up, WaldoKitty.

What's funnier is the left's reaction to your colorful description of the NYTimes.

Must be hitting the mark.
No. Just shows his inability to do business valuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies