Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I really don't believe those officers lives were in danger from some slightly built young man armed with a pen and with possible mental health problems.

You'd be surprised how much trouble you'll get from small people under NORMAL conditions. Combine that with a mental illness that make's you go berserk and you have yourself a problem. Plus anyone that knows what they're doing or just plain crazy can turn anything into a deadly weapon.

Quote:
I am afarid we are going to have to differ on our opinions here, just as laws relating to the use of deadly force differ in different parts of the world.

Below is an interesting article in relation to the subject.

Why do American cops kill so many compared to European cops?
Maybe that's because they have a smaller population and they have more cops per ratio than we do. Also they didn't compare the EU as a whole to the US as they are more similar in size, population, and variety in laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It's going to be hard for Trump supporters to blame the victim this time because he's not black.

Not PC, but true.

Black cop here, shoots a naked black kid running down the street. No accountability at all. That badge is a license to bully & murder.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Black cop here, shoots a naked black kid running down the street. No accountability at all. That badge is a license to bully & murder.
Exactly what lead up to him shooting him?

Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Exactly what lead up to him shooting him?
He was running head-on toward the cop and refused to stop. Not saying that he deserved to get shot dead, because I'd prefer to see other options first dispensed, but when I watched the in-car video of him hauling ass toward the cop my first thought was "no doubt I'd have done the same thing". The cop's other option was to hide in his locked car and what - wait for another police officer to arrive? And do what that the first officer didn't? Only a patient fool "takes a wait and see" to see what will happen before protecting themselves when they have an unknown dude running at them like that.

In my CHL class my instructor asked a student to come to the front of the class and then put a practice pistol in their hand. He said "aim it at me and say 'bang' when you think I've become a threat". He then walked about twenty feet away, turned around, and ran toward the student. Old fat bastage was right on top of the student before they even realized it. Kind of shocking how fast it went down. He never even got the pistol raised. Seven meters. You come running in a threatening way toward me in a situation like that and I'm pulling the trigger. I'm not waiting to flesh out your intent. I totally acknowledge that police require bravery and that some of them are totally trigger happy - that's my disclaimer. No cop needs to die just trying to feel out a situation though. We wouldn't have cops, or we'd be paying them 200k a year if death by perp was a job description.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:03 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know enough about the case to comment as to specifics. But, if it does turn out that this cop was in the wrong, I caution people against throwing racial motivations behind the shooting without having any evidence to back that up. Seriously, and I've argued this many times before, such a way of reasoning is racist in itself as it, without evidence, prejudges offices (primarily white) as being prejudiced against minorities.

I think efforts for criminal justice/policing reform would be accelerated if people stopped injecting race into matters without evidence to do so and, instead, called for improved training across the board where necessary. While I have no doubt that most cops are great, there are undoubtedly some people who should not be cops. But that doesn't automatically make such people racist either.
Agreed.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
A King County deputy who struck a pedestrian on his way home from work early Friday morning was the same deputy who shot and killed a man in Burien in June.

The King County Sheriff’s Office says the pedestrian was standing in “the middle of the roadway” on Pacific Highway South in Fife shortly after 2 a.m. when Deputy Cesar Molina—who was driving home following his shift in Burien—struck the pedestrian. The pedestrian was subsequently struck by another car and died at the scene.

https://www.seattleweekly.com/news/c...g-of-tommy-le/

This doesn't look good for the cop.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
He was running head-on toward the cop and refused to stop.

There you go then. If you charge someone with a sharp object then you have the right to defend yourself with deadly force.

Quote:
Not saying that he deserved to get shot dead, because I'd prefer to see other options first dispensed, but when I watched the in-car video of him hauling ass toward the cop my first thought was "no doubt I'd have done the same thing". The cop's other option was to hide in his locked car and what - wait for another police officer to arrive? And do what that the first officer didn't? Only a patient fool "takes a wait and see" to see what will happen before protecting themselves when they have an unknown dude running at them like that.

And I agree with you. However when someone runs up to you like that, you hardly have time to think.

Quote:
In my CHL class my instructor asked a student to come to the front of the class and then put a practice pistol in their hand. He said "aim it at me and say 'bang' when you think I've become a threat". He then walked about twenty feet away, turned around, and ran toward the student. Old fat bastage was right on top of the student before they even realized it. Kind of shocking how fast it went down. He never even got the pistol raised. Seven meters. You come running in a threatening way toward me in a situation like that and I'm pulling the trigger. I'm not waiting to flesh out your intent. I totally acknowledge that police require bravery and that some of them are totally trigger happy - that's my disclaimer. No cop needs to die just trying to feel out a situation though. We wouldn't have cops, or we'd be paying them 200k a year if death by perp was a job description.
I whole heartedly agree.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:44 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
That's OK, trump has the cops backs.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everyone who knows him says that he's a mild mannered good kid.
Everyone (interviewed) always says that. He could have a Facebook showing him covered Yakuza tats with posts bragging about wanting to shoot cops and people will say "he was such a good boy".

Old 07-30-2017, 04:57 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Good post. I read an article from Seattle Times that sheds some light, but also raises more questions.

"Around midnight, three deputies were summoned by several 911 calls about a man with a sharp object, maybe a knife, threatening people in the 13600 block of Third Avenue South in Burien. One home*owner told dispatchers he had fired his handgun into the ground, hoping to scare off the man — later identified as Le.

When Le continued to approach, the homeowner fled back inside his house. Le, who was barefoot, then pounded on the door and stabbed it, screaming he was “the Creator,” according to the King County Sheriff’s Office."

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ol-graduation/
Not only that he was tased which did not work. He continued at the police after being tased. Its around midnight. Its dark. The nature of the call. He actions when police had interaction with him. Zero problem with this shooting at all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies