Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,460,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
[/b]
Lol, so had he voted your way, what would be saying about him then.

What he voted against was lifting the mandate so that people wouldn't get fined if they didn't pay. Not a great idea since cost would again rise to meet that but still, giving people a choice would have been nice. But no, McCain just wants to end OBC without fixing it. So, he voted no.

He didn't vote to KEEP OBC. So, I hope that's not what some on the left are thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,618,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Republicans can't take away insurance from millions. Some of these republicans at least have a conscious.
Conscience is correct, not conscious.....and it is only your OPINION that your position occupies the moral high ground.

Quote:
Congress has great insurance. Why can't we all have that. I'm sure McCain's cancer treatment cost relatively nothing compared to those who don't have insurance.
McCain is 80 years old. He's also a retired 20+ year career military officer. According to Snopes, members of Congress pay for 28% of their premiums, and the government pays for the other 72%, but they have to pick a gold level plan to get that subsidy.

McCain gets Medicare, and then likely picks Tricare (Military) or the available coverage for members of Congress, likely making the choice based on which best compliments Medicare re overall coverage.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,323,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed.

The point I was (albeit perhaps feebly) attempting to illustrate is what, in recent history, IS or was a "real attempt at providing healthcare"?
I dont know that there ever has been a serious one.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,618,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Really? I give him full credit for his service, but he is LONG overdue to get his RINO butt out of the senate and move onto just being a beer distributor.
LOL. You mean the husband of a beer distributor.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,289,521 times
Democrats and Obama passed Obamacare in 2010 without a Republican vote, they didn't care what the other Party's input so Republicans should return the favor and just repealed it so it forces the democrats to come to the table for a better common sense law for all Americans..

We didn't have a healthcare crisis in 2010. Democrats took a manageable situation and made it really bad.

This is a multi-step process, you can't fix this with 1 big bill of repealed and replace because it will Never get pass. You need to REPEALED IT first then it will give NO choice to the democrats to come to the table and work with Republicans for a better law something Democrats didn't do when they had a solid majority in 2010.

Mccain did it wrong....he should know better......in order to get the democrats to the table he had to vote to repealed it first....this mess is not going to be fix in 1 bill but once Obamacare is repealed we go back to square one in 2009 and start all over again.

We didn't have a healthcare crisis in 2009......now we almost do with the high premiums and higher healthcare cost under Obamacare.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,452,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Democrats and Obama passed Obamacare in 2010 without a Republican vote, they didn't care what the other Party's input so Republicans should return the favor and just repealed it so it forces the democrats to come to the table for a better common sense law for all Americans..

We didn't have a healthcare crisis in 2010. Democrats took a manageable situation and made it really bad.

This is a multi-step process, you can't fix this with 1 big bill of repealed and replace because it will Never get pass. You need to REPEALED IT first then it will give NO choice to the democrats to come to the table and work with Republicans for a better law something Democrats didn't do when they had a solid majority in 2010.

Mccain did it wrong....he should know better......in order to get the democrats to the table he had to vote to repealed it first....this mess is not going to be fix in 1 bill but once Obamacare is repealed we go back to square one in 2009 and start all over again.

We didn't have a healthcare crisis in 2009......now we almost do with the high premiums and higher healthcare cost under Obamacare.
While it is true that the ACA was passed without a single Republican vote--there was plenty of input from the Right..judging by the 161 Republican amendments. In fact, the Democrats bent over backwards in an attempt to attain some bipartisanship.

I agree about the futility of trying to solve it all with one big bill. I'm skeptical that if there was repeal there would ever be replace. The GOP has clearly indicated its distaste for healthcare entitlement.

UHC---it's what the people want--not that that really seems to matter to DC.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,585,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Conscience is correct, not conscious.....and it is only your OPINION that your position occupies the moral high ground.

McCain is 80 years old. He's also a retired 20+ year career military officer. According to Snopes, members of Congress pay for 28% of their premiums, and the government pays for the other 72%, but they have to pick a gold level plan to get that subsidy.

McCain gets Medicare, and then likely picks Tricare (Military) or the available coverage for members of Congress, likely making the choice based on which best compliments Medicare re overall coverage.
My retired military father had Medicare and Tricare and basically zero out of pocket payments for any medical care, surgical procedure, etc.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:47 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm for medicare for everyone in our country
Quote:
I like that idea also however it's becoming more & more like watching a '3 ring circus' to figure what the heck our elected representatives are doing with it:

Quote:
In a twist that exemplifies just how wild the healthcare debate has been, on Thursday the Senate voted on a single-payer healthcare plan. Introduced by a Republican. Who doesn't support it. ...
Senate vote on single-payer healthcare - Business Insider

Link to Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, 'Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act' here:

https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/340.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As your article notes, this was not a real attempt at providing health care. It was stupid idiotic politicians trying to play "gotcha" with our lives. How do we actually elect people like this?

It was never meant to pass and it never would have because of that.
Quote:
Agreed.

The point I was (albeit perhaps feebly) attempting to illustrate is what, in recent history, IS or was a "real attempt at providing healthcare"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I dont know that there ever has been a serious one.
I realize I posed the question specifying "in recent history" ~ allow me to rephrase? Has there ever been, in all of American history, a real attempt to provide healthcare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
While it is true that the ACA was passed without a single Republican vote--there was plenty of input from the Right..judging by the 161 Republican amendments. In fact, the Democrats bent over backwards in an attempt to attain some bipartisanship.

I agree about the futility of trying to solve it all with one big bill. I'm skeptical that if there was repeal there would ever be replace. The GOP has clearly indicated its distaste for healthcare entitlement.

UHC---it's what the people want--not that that really seems to matter to DC.
Ahh, a pragmatist or realist or ... ?

How about it? Has there ever been, in all of American history, a real attempt to provide healthcare?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,719,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My retired military father had Medicare and Tricare and basically zero out of pocket payments for any medical care, surgical procedure, etc.

Good for him ,he is a smart man.Thank him for his service please.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:51 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,566,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
They also made the bill completely transparent and held town hall meetings on the bill, most of which were crashed by screaming and hysterical Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies