Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Yes I do.

For self defense purpose only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Nope. I don't really live my life in fear like that. Statistically, I'm at a minute risk of being the victim of a random violent crime. Statistically, I am at far more danger at being harmed by my partner, which isn't a fear for me.

I also believe a carrying a gun provides a false sense of security.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I am guessing the statistics show much less crime per capita in rural areas, especially violent crimes, but it does make sense that the sense of needing self protection is MORE in a rural area vs urban. You are isolated, even if you can see your neighbor's house you might not be able to see or hear what really is going on. In an urban environment, your neighbor in theory could literally see and hear you if you are in trouble. And as mentioned, the response time. I am amazed to hear even in somewhat more developed urban areas(lets say there local town has a population of 10,000) it can still take the Sheriff's department over 20minutes to respond to an emergency to the furthest parts.

Also the culture. Stats aside, rural folks have a more "I take care of myself and protect my family" mindset vs a urbanite's mind "the local police is here to protect me".

So not necessarily needing more protection, just a sense of needing to take protection into their own hands.

I own lots of firearms, lots is relative, an anti-firearm liberal would probably call me a terrorist if they saw my safe and ammo storage. A pro-2nd amendment conservative would call me a rookie. It started off for fun, it is a really really fun sport. I have not gotten into competitive shooting, I started way to late in life, but I think my son will get into it, but boys also change their favorite sport. One thing that is kind of funny, is that it is YOUNG GIRLS who are taking over the firearm sport. Something about girls, the more athletic females seem to be naturally good shooters, both standing and on the run. It is funny to me because it sort of defeats stereotypes(boys are better at sports, girls are more likely to be liberal(anti gun). My prediction, in a few decades girls will be winning shooting sports.
I lived in rural upstate NY where 911 response times were 27 minutes.
Cityiots voted the town police out.
Sheriff's barracks was a half hour drive, state troopers 45 minutes.
When heroin took off, junkies were running around stealing anything and everything that wasn't bolted down or locked up. Poetic justice, the cityiots houses were broken into and copper pipes ripped out to be turned in at the scrap yard for dope money

Hunting was good. Until they rolled back when you could. Cityiot democrats created alot of problems out of their irrational fear of firearms. And when Cuomo decided to push the safe act that was it for me.

Done. FUAC!

As for women, they listen and ask questions. They hold no bravado. They don't feel they have a need to impress or show off. Nor do they run their mouths about weapons.

Dudes... I get a kick out of someone who trash talks an entry level AR to justify and feel good about spending 1200-3k for a rifle they might shoot twice a month with about 10 pounds in tacticool equipment. Give me a cheap palmetto state kit to put together I'll out shoot their 850 dollar red dots on top a bravo company or black rain ordinance, with a blem kit rifle and iron sights.

Then there's the fan boys who are loyal to a certain brand of pistol and bash others.
I'll bust out any of my 1911s and hear someone go oh man you see this? He's got a 1911 hahaha. Yeah jokes on you.

I'll shoot with women all day long. They're humble and willing to learn. And learn fast.
I'll even teach them how to field strip and clean everything from a pistol to a shotgun to a rifle. And magazines too. Part of safety is having a well cleaned and functioning firearm. One aspect that's often overlooked. You don't need to have a fouled barrel and increased pressures and have drastic outcomes.
You don't need to have a caked up magazine that improperly feeds.
Nor a fouled and nasty chamber leading to failure to eject, or failure to seat the bolt/firing out of battery, or a rusty or dry bolt slide or trigger group.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
No. I'm not against guns, but I have yet to meet an open gun owner who I think, "Hey now, I feel safer because THAT person has a gun." I'm sure I know plenty of people who don't let it be known that they have guns who are perfectly fine.

I doubt I will ever have a gun because I don't have the time or inclination to practice shooting at a frequency that would make the gun useful in an emergency event.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

I also believe a carrying a gun provides a false sense of security.
How so? If you're proficient in handling and unholstering where is the false sense of security?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
How so? If you're proficient in handling and unholstering where is the false sense of security?
Given your experience as you've posted about before, how many people do you think are *actually* proficient in handling and unholstering a weapon? How many have the skill, muscle memory, and temperament to manage in a crisis situation? How many are taking the time to clean and maintain their weapon appropriately?

Many do, certainly, but many of us know ourselves enough to know that we couldn't do that. The time it would take to gain those skills and continually practice them is not a priority for me, so gun ownership would absolutely be a false sense of security. How many people do we all know who have a gun they keep tucked under the bed or in a drawer that they take out *maybe* once a year, if that?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

You're discounting the element of surprise and reaction time in a random on-the-street scenario.

Also, I'm imaging a sense of bravado one often sees from armchair quarterbacks after a large-scale attack. Seems there are a lot of sharpshooters out there who could have saved the day.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Given your experience as you've posted about before, how many people do you think are *actually* proficient in handling and unholstering a weapon? How many have the skill, muscle memory, and temperament to manage in a crisis situation? How many are taking the time to clean and maintain their weapon appropriately?

Many do, certainly, but many of us know ourselves enough to know that we couldn't do that. The time it would take to gain those skills and continually practice them is not a priority for me, so gun ownership would absolutely be a false sense of security. How many people do we all know who have a gun they keep tucked under the bed or in a drawer that they take out *maybe* once a year, if that?
Quite alot in states that don't demonize firearms.

I go to ranges both indoors and outdoors frequently. I see kids as young as 6 shooting 22s and Ar15s. Some 10 11 12 13 year olds shooting hand guns. Doesn't bother me one bit. Any given weekend there is a line at the indoor ranges waiting for entire families to get time in.

I've trained my 70 year old mother and little sister they're both proficient.
Before they even went to an indoor range I put them in my garage to practice with snap caps and I threw firecrackers of various sizes into a steel drum to mimick what they'll face at indoor ranges.

I've induced every sort of failure one can run into with every weapon they were to handle. Especially their primary carry.

They both can unholster their weapons without issue.
They both get accurate shot placements. Both inside 20 feet and as far as 50 with their pistols.

Remove the fear. It becomes 2nd nature. Situational awareness is key. Neither would become Rambo for someone approaching them saying Miss Miss you forgot/dropped something.

The demonization and the incessant fear of firearms are what leads to accidents.
Those who've grown up in households with guns, know you don't pick one up and play with it. The allure is removed.

I've got my 70 year old 4'9 mother goose looking mom shooting AR15s AKs mini 14 M1A rifles. She also shoots 45 caliber 1911s neither her or my little sister fired a gun a day in their lives. That all changed when I moved to Florida. Both career nurses. Both carry every day. I've got both comfortable. I've got both proficient in everything from malfunctions, to field stripping cleaning and reassembling, to firing accurately.

Couple outdoor ranges have self defense courses. I've paid for their training and brought them with me.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:25 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I have two Glocks and have warning signs on my property saying "nothing worth dying for here" with a handgun picture pointed at you

Old 08-04-2017, 11:28 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
I own and shoot guns. Its fun.

And on a more serious note, my state of mind is avoid violent conflict at all costs, but if it is unavoidable you must fight to kill. If it is not worth killing over it is not worth resorting to violence. Part of that defensive mindset involves having the necessary tools to be able to put yourself on equal footing if the worst comes to pass, and that means having access to an effective weapon relative to what is in circulation in the general population. In the US, that means guns. In say Japan, you could get away with something like a taser or pepper spray.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 08-04-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies