Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:53 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
We'll haven't they been restricted for decades by quotas? What Americans are discussing now is what the quota should be and what the selection criteria should be. I'm not an American so my views are unimportant to that discussion. I'm reading the thread because I find the discussion interesting.

Isn't what Trump has proposed basically what Canada, Australia, etc. already do?

I see no downside in tailoring US immigration policy to the needs of the modern day economy, instead of to the conditions existent back when the famous poem on the statue of liberty was written.

We literally do NOT need any more huddled poor masses. If we want to go back to what awaited immigrants in 1910 (i.e., nothing)... then OK. But I'd prefer to have a nice, functioning welfare system and controlled, beneficial immigration.

There's no reason why someone's illiterate and unskilled extended family should get priority over a potential immigrant with skills, education, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It will be good for low-skilled Americans.
Or will it?

Supply/ demand of workers is a local thing.

When the demand exceeds supply, it is often necessary to raise wages. Raising wages impacts costs and prices.

Having said this I do not have issue with the concept of a Merit System.

I do have an issue with a POTUS who declines to walk the talk and uses H2B visas for seasonal employees at some hotels and winery. H2B Visas are issued for 3 years and are renewable. The H2B visa worker is permitted to bring his/ her family members to the US. The children can be enrolled in local schools. Anchor babies can be created and born. Pregnant/ nursing women and children are able to obtain healthcare and participate in SNAP and school meal programs.

What becomes of the H2B visa worker when the season ends but there is time left on the visa?

There are entire industries that rely heavily on h2B visas, like seafood processing/ packaging in Louisianna. Season runs 9 months on and three months off. Seems to me there is an abundance of low skilled people in Louisiana in need of work, yet there is substantial reliance on H2B visa workers. I do not understand.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times
We need merit AND demographic based immigration, AND to reduce work visas, end birthright citizenship etc. But one step at a time.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 PM

20,765 posts, read 8,606,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Supply/ demand of workers is a local thing. When the demand exceeds supply, it is often necessary to raise wages. Raising wages impacts costs and prices.

There are entire industries that rely heavily on h2B visas, like seafood processing/ packaging in Louisianna. Season runs 9 months on and three months off. Seems to me there is an abundance of low skilled people in Louisiana in need of work, yet there is substantial reliance on H2B visa workers. I do not understand.
Businesses want to maximize their profits. I resent that average taxpayers are basically subsidizing these businesses. We pay medical care for their workers when they go to the emergency room, for example. Meanwhile we pay higher taxes for welfare benefits for unemployed Americans. They need workfare for welfare recipients so they gain work experience and self respect.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
We have seen that the Muslim Refuges have not contributed to Society and refuse to speak English and leave their ways back in their country.
I have known SA Immigrants that have resided in this country for 20 years do not even attempt to blend in.
This is a good standard. Just maybe our cites will not be over priced and turn into ghettos.
That's not the case where I live, in Sacramento. We have a large number of refugees and immigrants from the middle east and many of them are medical professionals and work in skilled trades. I can't say if they are all "muslim",but judging by the number of women who wear hijab I would say a majority are. My grandson went to pre-school and probably 40% of his class were middle eastern kids. The parents were very involved in their kids education, more so than some of the white kids parents that's for sure.

We also have a large number of Ukranian and Russian immigrants and as a group I find them to be far less likely to speak English than people from the middle east.

The only thing that I can think of is that you live somewhere where you aren't exposed to people from other Countries because what you're saying just doesn't reflect what I see here every day.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,217,300 times
Default Green cards versus work visas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
No, I don't think this is a good idea.

Mexicans have low skills but they clean bathrooms and pick fruits and vegetables to keep prices low. Then, why not keep them coming. American society needs both high skills and low skills. Mexicans did not take too many quotas.
We also need work visas to allow into the country farm workers, chicken processors, summer service workers to staff our summer resorts, etc. work now done by illegal aliens.

Green cards leading to citizenship are an entirely different track.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM

152 posts, read 204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Another republican PLOY to break up families-- what is up with ideology??
How is this a ploy to break up families when people CHOOSE to immigrate here and leave their families behind? Who is the one breaking up the family?

Old 08-07-2017, 04:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's not the case where I live, in Sacramento. We have a large number of refugees and immigrants from the middle east and many of them are medical professionals and work in skilled trades. I can't say if they are all "muslim",but judging by the number of women who wear hijab I would say a majority are. My grandson went to pre-school and probably 40% of his class were middle eastern kids. The parents were very involved in their kids education, more so than some of the white kids parents that's for sure.

We also have a large number of Ukranian and Russian immigrants and as a group I find them to be far less likely to speak English than people from the middle east.

The only thing that I can think of is that you live somewhere where you aren't exposed to people from other Countries because what you're saying just doesn't reflect what I see here every day.
The muslims refugees and immigrants were I live are mostly E African, N African and I suppose some Middle eastern on welfare and receive affirmative action, don't speak English and wear hijabs and other non-western clothing, and are visually, auditory and olfactory unpleasant. Oh yeah and a lot of latin American blue color workers, but I noticed they've thinned out considerably since Trump was elected.

Near middle easterners students and 'professional' class seem hateful and hostile. And the South and E Asians seem arrogant.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:20 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,217,300 times
Default A federal employee who processed work based green cards

Right now its a narrative based system for adjudicating green card petitions for illegal aliens, H1B1 holders and holders of labor certificates. The vast majority of visa petitions are approved if the employer is willing to support the alien. Those visas which don't get approval, are appealed, mostly short order cooks, convenience store clerks, gas pump jockeys, care givers, donut makers. Why? Because USCIS will not deport aliens with an active petition, and it takes years to process appeals. Use to be, the petition files were thin, but having an active file keeps an alien in the U.S. Now, the files can be enormous which slows the process and produces backlogs. A merit base system is the right thing to do.

Today, there are many ways to game the system

Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labellavita116 View Post
How is this a ploy to break up families when people CHOOSE to immigrate here and leave their families behind? Who is the one breaking up the family?

If here illegally they can take their families back to their homelands with them also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies