Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If mass immigration in 1880-1920 of white Christian westerners from Eastern and Southern Europe were a problem, and they were, when America was in it's guiled age, not so populated, work was plenty and immigrants weren't a welfare charge, and were required to assimilate, then what does that make non-western 3rd world immigrants in today's America. It makes them a much bigger problem.
Immigrants weren't required to assimilate during that period. All of my grandparents were immigrants who came here during that time and none were forced to assimilate, for the most part they maintained their culture, interacted largely with people very much like them spoke in their native language and their kids learned english in school. I don't know why you would even make a claim like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,740,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I hope they'll still let people's elderly, widowed mothers come here, so they can take care of them even if they don't speak English and have no employment prospects. It's not always about working and paying taxes.
No way. Leave your baggage at home.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,492,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The muslims refugees and immigrants were I live are mostly E African, N African and I suppose some Middle eastern on welfare and receive affirmative action, don't speak English and wear hijabs and other non-western clothing, and are visually, auditory and olfactory unpleasant. Oh yeah and a lot of latin American blue color workers, but I noticed they've thinned out considerably since Trump was elected.

Near middle easterners students and 'professional' class seem hateful and hostile. And the South and E Asians seem arrogant.
You just slammed nearly every non-white culture, and especially the way certain groups of people look, smell, speak, and make money - basically everything about them. You know that is the definition of arrogance, right? Or how is it you think South and East asians seem arrogant or ME seem hateful... let me guess, you saw them doing the exact thing you're doing now, to maybe your group or another?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sounds like you just have animus toward people who aren't perfect like you.

Or he could value living in a first world country and doesn't want to have us swamped with third world cultural mores and norms. It's not difficult to ask people to bathe. It is expected in this country. It is also an affront to western culture to run around with a beekeeper's suit on and to hide your face. That's not what our culture expects. It's not how we do business. It's not appropriate. No matter how cool or interesting or exotic you might think it is.

The people of the first world can't run anywhere else to maintain or improve their positions in life, or their cultures.

Third world people can stay and stew in their own cultures and countries, or they can move to the first world. But if you move to the first world because whatever place you're from failed to give you opportunity to thrive.... then for Petessake don't take your garbage with you so that your new "home" becomes the very thing you fled from or otherwise failed you and forced you to move in the first place.

It really, really, really is not a bad thing to expect or ask. Americans get called "ugly" and "arrogant" when they TRAVEL because they think the world should bend to their expectations. It's a shameful sin that an American tourist asks a Parisian whether he speaks English........ Yet expecting an IMMIGRANT to assimilate and give up something to be welcomed in a new country? Oh, what a terrible thing, eh?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:07 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Call me confused. Haven't we always had restrictions for foreigners to come here to work? Even as early as Ellis Island days, may people were sent back to their homeland if they were not deemed healthy enough to work.
It seems like restrictions are in place for the most skilled and educated people, but not so much for the unskilled or unsavory ones.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,492,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Call me confused. Haven't we always had restrictions for foreigners to come here to work? Even as early as Ellis Island days, may people were sent back to their homeland if they were not deemed healthy enough to work.
It seems like restrictions are in place for the most skilled and educated people, but not so much for the unskilled or unsavory ones.
There are restrictions for people who do it the legal way. But seems like the convo here has evolved into whether we should have any immigration, for any reason, at all.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Or he could value living in a first world country and doesn't want to have us swamped with third world cultural mores and norms. It's not difficult to ask people to bathe. It is expected in this country. It is also an affront to western culture to run around with a beekeeper's suit on and to hide your face. That's not what our culture expects. It's not how we do business. It's not appropriate. No matter how cool or interesting or exotic you might think it is.
The people of the first world can't run anywhere else to maintain or improve their positions in life, or their cultures.
Third world people can stay and stew in their own cultures and countries, or they can move to the first world. But if you move to the first world because whatever place you're from failed to give you opportunity to thrive.... then for Petessake don't take your garbage with you so that your new "home" becomes the very thing you fled from or otherwise failed you and forced you to move in the first place.
It really, really, really is not a bad thing to expect or ask. Americans get called "ugly" and "arrogant" when they TRAVEL because they think the world should bend to their expectations. It's a shameful sin that an American tourist asks a Parisian whether he speaks English........ Yet expecting an IMMIGRANT to assimilate and give up something to be welcomed in a new country? Oh, what a terrible thing, eh?
It's way to late to make America white again so you can forget that. If you're worried about white people losing their economic dominance you should be concerned about this new immigration plan because there aren't going to be a lot of successful white people from Europe or Canada signing up, it will mostly be immigrants from India, Pakistan, Asia, the Philippines, Middle East and South America. And I'm sure you will find some reason to hate every one of them because even if they can speak fluent English you will probably decide that they don't worship the 'right' God, or that they are unattractive or don't bathe.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
No way. Leave your baggage at home.
You don't think the merit-based immigrants will be able to bring over the rest of the family? That's funny.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's way to late to make America white again so you can forget that.
Not my goal. Can you people please try to be ORIGINAL for once in your damned lives? How utterly boring and predictable. You don't even know anything about me or my background or my family composition. And yet, in a post where not a single thing was mentioned about skin color you became triggered and went off like a typical mindless robot:

"White white whitey white supremacist racist white racist white whiteness privilege white. Beep Beep Beep."

Save that **** for your intellectual echo chambers and dinner parties shared with equally cliche and obnoxious friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy
If you're worried about white people losing their economic dominance you should be concerned about this new immigration plan because there aren't going to be a lot of successful white people from Europe or Canada signing up, it will mostly be immigrants from India, Pakistan, Asia, the Philippines, Middle East and South America. And I'm sure you will find some reason to hate every one of them because even if they can speak fluent English you will probably decide that they don't worship the 'right' God, or that they are unattractive or don't bathe.

1) There is no god. So all third world gods are as dumb as the first world gods. But, not all third world gods are compatible with the western world. Some are. The ones that aren't usually have adherents that resist assimilation, blow things up, rip the clitoris off their daughters and run around covered up like they're assessing a hazmat situation. Can't say that's a future I want for this country... and progressives wouldn't like it, either, despite the fact that they still work to implement that future like a bunch of tool bags.

2) I don't care where people come from as long as they assimilate and add value to the community while leaving the worst of their "native" cultures behind them. But hey, if YOU want to go live in a third world country, then GO DO IT. You'll find many immigrants agree with me. Like the entire half of my family that ARE immigrants (yes, white liberal progressives you do NOT speak for everyone).

3) If they smell, they need to get with the program and bathe. Stop making excuses for poor hygiene. This is non-negotiable. Showers are in 99.9% of homes in America. Americans are some of the most welcoming people in the world and we ask so little of the people that come here. You'd think BATHING wouldn't be too hard of a concept to pick up. Perhaps down at the benefits office (that everyone seems eager to learn how to use once they get here) they can offer basic training in life skills for those who need help figuring things out.

4) Wearing garbage bags on your head IS unattractive and is barbarism. Symbols of 7th century desert fashion and any feminist or progressive that makes excuses for it is a GARBAGE PERSON and a useful idiot.

I can't believe there are literally people like you in the world who think America shouldn't act in its best economic interests by implementing the type of points based system used by all the other countries in the world that you believe America should emulate - like Canada, Australia, European countries, etc.

Trump is wrong on many things, but this is something that IS in the best interest of the country.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,801,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The biggest issue with this is you are robbing other countries of their doctors, scientists, business people, engineers, etc. They will depress the salaries for these higher skilled jobs. There is not a whole lot of disadvantages for the US when skimming the cream off the top.

Keeping out lower skilled workers can only help low skilled workers here in the US. Somebody needs to do those jobs, as the both legal and illegal immigrants become less available to do them more is work is available and the wages will necessarily rise for jobs US workers do not want to do.
DING DING DING

Exactly right!
Exactly what we should have been doing for decades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy
It's way to late to make America white again so you can forget that.
Oops, you're showing your racism, and using bad grammar as well... bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies