Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:27 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times

Advertisements

Universities are the big business that dems forget to criticize when they go after big business.

Universities have become liberal/dem rookieries, thus they remain immune from attack.

No effort to bring down edu costs. Legislators just come up with ways to meet the price and in return they get favorable results on grant research money and democrat voter enrollment.

Makes college an elitist haven at 40k a year. Who can put one kid thru collega let alone 3 or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
An educated voter is a danger to the republican party,that is why they hate colleges.
Ahhhh, no. Today colleges are a continuation of the liberal/progressive INDOCTRINATION that education has become. They are churning out good, little Communists now. And I have two degrees, btw, and saw this happening even in the 80's. Also, due to government lending practices, tuition has become a JOKE, and student loan debt is horrendous. Unless you are getting a marketable degree like engineering, business, finance, science, etc go to trade school instead, or be happy working as a "barista", and get some dreads, and tats too.

Last edited by Pilot1; 08-12-2017 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
An educated voter is a danger to the republican party,that is why they hate colleges.
Absolutely. And this wasn't always the case. My father was an officer in the military and staunch Republican ~ both my parents encouraged me to attend college. "Education is something important that no one can take from you" is how they thought about it.

In no way do knuckle dragging rednecks wearing a MAGA hat represent the kind of Republicanism that my parents represented.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:41 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,046,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Makes college an elitist haven at 40k a year. Who can put one kid thru college let alone 3 or more?
Those who plan carefully and save from the time their child is born, those who have no more children than they can afford to educate, those who encourage scholarship and learning in their offspring in hopes that will pay off in increased financial aid, and those who are aware that a sizable number of applicants to so-called "elite" colleges receive some form of financial assistance.

Parents who value education know all this. I feel sorry for those children born into families who do not value higher education as they have a rough road ahead of them if they have the desire to get ahead.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
I am neither republican nor politically conservative, yet I feel that the traditional 4 year(6yr Masters or 8yr PHD) university route benefits only a small percentage of the post-secondary population: Those seeking to be medical doctors, dentists, veterinarians, engineers, educators, and lawyers. For every other field, it's just a four-year country club membership that is very costly, and imparts little practical, knowledge - read: skills employers demand in the workplace.

There are many post-secondary vocational or specialty options out there which can train individuals in a specific area, or areas, of expertise. Connecticut School of Broadcasting, for those who aspire a career in media. Porter & Chester, for automotive, electrical, and plumbing careers. There are also schools with a more white-collar trajectory, offering office and clerical training, paralegal, and information technology certifications. Resultingly, I possess a Management Information Systems degree which imparted very few actual hard(employable) skills, in a subject I could care less about.

While I was fortunate to not have much college expense to worry about, my parents, especially my mother, fell into an all-too-common belief trap that traditional 4-year college was the best route for me, and no way was she about to fund a vocational route that would have fulfilled my career dreams, and would have required far less outlay of money and time.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely. And this wasn't always the case. My father was an officer in the military and staunch Republican ~ both my parents encouraged me to attend college. "Education is something important that no one can take from you" is how they thought about it.

In no way do knuckle dragging rednecks wearing a MAGA hat represent the kind of Republicanism that my parents represented.
We encouraged our sons to go to college too but not for underwater basketweaving or other such nonsense in order for us to pay for it. They decided to enlist and are now out going to college. So your knuckle dragging comment is indeed an oversimplification. College is important if you use it to further your marketabililty. Save the learning for learning's sake once you have a career that can support you. Expanding your mind can also be done in numerous ways without going to college.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
People asked why Trump was elected and one of my responses is because of comments like this. When I criticize why we spend more on education per student that any other Western country it isn't because I hate education, it's because the students we are producing are far less prepared than other countries spending less money.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:50 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
To some knowledge is power

To others knowledge is dangerous.

For some a mind is a terrible thing to waste

For others a mind is a thing to be wasted

To some our fears are to be confronted

For other our fears are to ignored

Conservatives have fallen into the abyss of denial.

Superstition, selfishness and fear of the future controls them now.

Better for them to live in ignorance and fantasy than face reality.
Excellent post.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The same reason they oppose public radio and television. These organizations are beholding to no advertisers, and can present in depth accurate information without fear of reprisal.

The bane of Republican manipulation efforts.
Obviously they do fear reprisal.

Public TV and radio have a liberal bias. Makes sense since they depend on government funding.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Why are unemployment numbers so much lower for those with a college degree?
The first question is employed as what?

To answer your question I would suggest those attending college are likely more intelligent that those that did not go to college. They are more likely to succeed with or without a degree. If you want to be successful the two key things are a good head on your shoulders and a strong work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies