Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Burdell and Parktwain,there are some things best left to government,but there are many things that they should stay out of also.The federal government has a history of not being efficient,what would make me think they would be in the future?

The challenge has always been finding the proper balance, and there are worse things than inefficiency.

I'm not trying to defend all of the bureaucracy we've built over the years but I see it as a fact of life if allowed to make their own decisons with no regulation there are many who will do whatever it takes to further their own cause with zero regard for who gets hurt. Having government's nose in many things may not be very likeable but in many, many cases it beats the current alternatives.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM

223 posts, read 496,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
While I like the theory, in practice what do we do about:

Do we allow people the decison to drive without insurance? If they hit us it's just our tough luck?

Do we allow airlines to decide what maintenance they'll perform, if any? If there's a problem it's our tough luck?

Do we allow drug companies to makewhateve claims they decide on, no testing required? If we get sick or die from them it's our tough luck?

Do we allow an auto executive to decide he can make another $1.00 by using a substandard part? If we get hurt it's our tough luck?

Etc., etc., etc.,etc.......................................... ..............

Are you kidding the Mexicans that are here illegally don't have insurance. They don't even have licenses,I saw a cops program where a state police man stopped a van with 14 illegals in it, the driver had no license, the cop called for INS to come get them, they told him no one was available and to let them go, what MOD CUT is that all about, if it was me or you, we would be in jail calling for bail money. theres an ulterior motive for doing what they do, just haven't figured all of it out yet.
The airlines would get sued if anything happened, dido the car co.
Of course we need laws to keep things right, but who obeys the laws?
Not the illegals, not the crooks, not most politicians, and obviously not the cops, only law abiding people do,

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM

110 posts, read 58,331 times
I feel mostly the same way LK. Maybe it would help to consider the alternative. Saddam in power and still creating a threat. Can anyone say it wasn't a serious threat. If E-Gore had been elected and we had lobbed in a few cruise missles for effect, sent a couple of carriers and had the sailors stand on board and thumb their noses, said a couple of by god bettter not do that again. Where would we be? It has forever been a cost. Over 400,000 in WW2, imagine that, 100x the current loss, 54,000 Vietnam,50,000+ Korea. How much stronger would we be as a nation if we could have those best of the best live for us instead of die for us. Then again, had they not died for us would we be having this discussion, or would we be having it in English? Very humbling, just saying it chokes me up. Lion King I trust that you know that we have to drag the left kicking and screaming into any defensive action. Pelosi, Reid, Murtha, Kennedy, et al ,are the heaviest single thing in the packs of the brave young men and women serving in Iraq. Up until a few months ago i would readily buy into the assertion that, like we felt about the South Vietnamese at the time, they were not ready or could not handle democracy. Why, because they have fought one anothe since the beginning of time and were not capable of civility. We said that about the Japanese. Who are we to say who is capable of not engaging in war when we have had so many ourselves. Sure, any right thinking person undrstands our fights have been defensive. Surely we have imposed ourselves on the world but I think unfair that we started the fights. Like Rossevelt may have knew what was coming in Hawaii, maybe Bush et al knew what might be coming, not when or how, or how damaging but knowledge of strong potential. Maybe it was time for the smack down that is Iraq. Cobart Towers, Lockheed, U.S.S. Cole, Towers 1, many airliners, many untold instances unchecked. If your going to be the big bear in the forest you can't wait around and let the hounds knaw your paws off. Guess what. We put boots on the ground in the heart of the nest and it is working. If we stick this thing out and we have without question the power to do it we could secure American greatness well into the future. It always has been and always will be a daunting, continuous task. Freedom is not free is more than a cliche. Do we want to be a nation of kings and free men or do we want to be everyone else?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUHilltopper View Post
I feel mostly the same way LK. Maybe it would help to consider the alternative. Saddam in power and still creating a threat. Can anyone say it wasn't a serious threat. If E-Gore had been elected and we had lobbed in a few cruise missles for effect, sent a couple of carriers and had the sailors stand on board and thumb their noses, said a couple of by god bettter not do that again. Where would we be?

Where are we now that's an improvement over where we were five years and one day ago?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM

Some uncivil gang bullies hit us in the mouth, blacked both eyes,broke an arm, and kicked us when we were down.
Civil people that we are we took it all in stride, then, with the last blow... stood up... and cut its MOD CUT head off...Burdell. I happen to believe that one of two things will happen next. Either the muslim community will collectivley and with a loud voice say enough is enough or many thousands of Americans will die and many hundreds of thousands of muslims will die. The improvement , -distancing ourselves from the liklihood that this will now happen. A vast improvement. The nay sayers may elect someone that will negate this progress, then all bets are off.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-18-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Some uncivil gang bullies hit us in the mouth, blacked both eyes,broke an arm, and kicked us when we were down.
And it WAS NOT IRAQ!

Quote:
Civil people that we are we took it all in stride, then, with the last blow... stood up... and cut its MOD CUT head off...Burdell. I happen to believe that one of two things will happen next. Either the muslim community will collectivley and with a loud voice say enough is enough or many thousands of Americans will die and many hundreds of thousands of muslims will die. The improvement , -distancing ourselves from the liklihood that this will now happen. A vast improvement. The nay sayers may elect someone that will negate this progress, then all bets are off.

Too bad we didn't cut the head of our real attackers

It was a simple question: How are we better off today than five years and one day ago? You really haven't mentioned anything that wasn't a possibility without our invasion/occupation of Iraq. Should your lack of an answer be taken to mean that you don't believe we are?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Burdell, honestly man, I respect you ,because you have stuck with it. Talked to you or about you for a long time now. Your more moderate than left. No matter how many times its laid out and no mattter how many ways. You and your like brethren aren't going to get it. We are all a sum total of our own unique experiences. It may be that ,(following the moderate to left line), we might have taken the fight to Afghanistan and only Afghanistan and maybe the Muslims would have backed off. The only observation I have made of your posts over time is that you somehow seem to think Muslims should be afforded the same consideration as Christians. Many will defend the Muslims, I think mostly because they take such offense to Christians rather than any particular love of Muslims. Yet, some of you equate them as the same. It is purely nonsensical naive. I can't believe we are even from the same country. If you find no agreement with the multitude of posts from many well placed writers regards the need to have invaded Iraq we simply have to draw it down to a difference in wiring. The only thing that would make a believer out of most of you would be .80 a gallon gas and an Iraq as strong an ally as Japan. Maybe that is what we should expect and would be our rightful reward. Not likely it is going to happen. I would simply say to you that my perception of what has evolved is better than what it was when we discussed it a year ago. My perception is that the left is invested in the defeat of America due to it's own narcissistic lust for power. My perception is that for that reason and other reasons now revealed the left has not only again shot itself in the foot but likely in the head. That is a good thing. I'll leave my post at that.Yes we are much better off than if Al Gore had been elected and we still had a shroud of darkness over us that only the direction taken by the left would have revealed the depth of darkness. This country for all the heat it takes is still too civil to conduct a war the way a war must be conducted to minimize the extreme loss in national treasure and blood. My bet is that history will look well upon Bush in spite of all the naysayers. Of course the next attack threads will skip the war and focus on the economy. Some of the stupidist things I have ever seen in my adult life have occurred in the lending market, to which I am acquainted, an Bush will inherit that blame. As that arguement proceeds remember that a recession has occurred every 6-11 years since the depression. I think this one will be worse than the previous ones over the past 25 years. It is a direct result of suspension of prudent lending and I have no idea where the direction came from. I can only say it was liberal lending. If Bushie is to blame for giving that order I would hang him out to dry historically for that ,way before I would degrade him for a war that removed a brutal dictator and severely impacted the ability for another strike.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Burdell, honestly man, I respect you ,because you have stuck with it. Talked to you or about you for a long time now. Your more moderate than left. No matter how many times its laid out and no mattter how many ways. You and your like brethren aren't going to get it. We are all a sum total of our own unique experiences. It may be that ,(following the moderate to left line), we might have taken the fight to Afghanistan and only Afghanistan and maybe the Muslims would have backed off. The only observation I have made of your posts over time is that you somehow seem to think Muslims should be afforded the same consideration as Christians. Many will defend the Muslims, I think mostly because they take such offense to Christians rather than any particular love of Muslims. Yet, some of you equate them as the same. It is purely nonsensical naive.
So the real cause of most of your beliefs is good old fashioned baseless bigotry?

Shouldn't we make it easy and start with the Muslim in Congress? And then the Muslim American citizens? Do you think we should hang them, lethal injection, or maybe gas chambers? They work well for religious bigotry, right?

No trials of course, right? They're guilty after all, right? Why waste time?

Quote:
I can't believe we are even from the same country. If you find no agreement with the multitude of posts from many well placed writers regards the need to have invaded Iraq we simply have to draw it down to a difference in wiring. The only thing that would make a believer out of most of you would be .80 a gallon gas and an Iraq as strong an ally as Japan.
No, what makes us different is I believe when you're sucker punched you just don't get up and hit the one nearest to you. You actually take the time to find the one who hit you and then eliminate them. And the price of gas is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the need to invade Iraq or any other country. I wouldn't believe the invasion was justified if Iraq GAVE me my gas.

Quote:
My perception is that the left is invested in the defeat of America due to it's own narcissistic lust for power.

MY perception is THAT statement is just one big load of crap! It's the typical tighty-righty attempt at defending the indefensible, accuse the left of hating America and wishing for its defeat.

Let me restate this: WHAT a load of crap!

Last edited by burdell; 03-18-2008 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Let me just quietly take up a place at the back of the WHAT a load of crap! line. That's all just beyond the pale entirely...

Old 03-19-2008, 05:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, what makes us different is I believe when you're sucker punched you just don't get up and hit the one nearest to you. You actually take the time to find the one who hit you and then eliminate them. And the price of gas is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the need to invade Iraq or any other country. I wouldn't believe the invasion was justified if Iraq GAVE me my gas.
Um.... I hate to point out the single fact that we did exactly what you stated we should have done..

Last I checked Hussain was hung and "eliminated"

al-qaeda is on the verge of being eliminated

Glad to see you're finally supporting what we've been saying all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies